DMAW03: The Golden General

pholkhero

Deviant Mind
The blood-red light of the setting sun leaked through the cracks in the slated roof of the small hut. Laying there, on a tattered bedroll, was an aged man. He was ancient, his long beard that was once a bright black was now a mottled gray, and his robes were so old there were worn in more than a few places. Beside the man, kneeling on the floor, was a young woman. She sat there, her head in her hands, her shining blond hair falling about her shoulders. She was murmuring quietly to herself as the man’s eyes fluttered open.

As his lids rose, the man focused on the young woman there above him. He gently reached up, and pushed her hair back behind her ear. His movement startled her, and she momentarily fell back.

“Grandfather,” she said. “I’m sorry that I’ve woken you.”

“You have not woken me, Young One,” he smiled at her. “I have woken myself. I have something to tell you.”

“Hush, Grandfather, hush,” she implored. “Save your strength.”

“No, dear. This is something I need you to know, before I die.”

“Grandfather! Please don’t talk like that. You’re just . . . sick.”

The old man chuckled. “One thing you could never do very well, Young One, is lie. I suppose that comes from your family line. I am dying, but I am not dead yet, and so you will sit there and listen, one last time, to the ramblings of this old man.” His mock command was tempered by another gentle smile.

The woman settled herself back to sit completely on the floor, and looked expectantly at the man. “I must tell you a story, Young One. A story of how we came to be here, living among these people, these Egyptians. I have told you before, when you were younger, that your parents had died shortly after you were born.” He didn’t wait for her to nod, but continued on. “What I didn’t tell . . . could never bring myself to tell you . . . is that . . . Young One, your family was murdered.’ A gasp escaped the lips of the woman, and her face blanched at the information.

“I’m sorry that I’ve never told you this. I didn’t know how. I wanted to spare you the pain, but you need to know the truth . . . for your own safety. You true Grandfather, Tokugawa, was hero among his people. When he was young, his land was ruled by an evil, evil Emperor whose cruelty was only surpassed by his sadistic imagination. Your grandfather led a revolt against this man, led six others, in a fight to rid their land of such an oppressive power . . . and they succeeded!

“All your grandfather wanted to do at the time was to return to his quiet village life, and life out the rest of his days with his wife and newborn son. Sadly, his so-called allies would not allow this. They sought vengeance on Tokugawa for the people all over the land loved and adored him, while they feared the others. And so, these sons of dogs plotted. They sent assassins to kill your Grandfather.

“He was out that night, settling a dispute amongst the people, when the assassins arrived at his home. Fearing discovery if they waited for your grandfather, they found his wife and infant, quietly sleeping in their beds. These pigs slaughtered them where they slept!” Even now, the anger rose to his face, coloring his cheeks despite his failing strength.

“Your grandfather returned that night to this horrible scene. His cry of grief shattered the tranquility of the village, and shattered the peace of the land. For days, he and the other villages wailed in mourning, the women beating their breasts and tearing at their hair. And yet, beneath his grief, a quiet anger glowed hotter than the fires in the smith. And so began the Great War. Your father gathered his warriors and formed an army. Unfortunately, his one-time comrades in arms were prepared well in advance. Their armies were innumerable, and they swarmed on us like insects in the field. The brave people held out as long as they could.

“I was with your father, that night, when the armies were advancing on our last outpost. The previous night, our enemies had come, demanding our surrender, and delivering the heads of Tokugawa and his 2 other sons (from a new wife). Their messenger was killed, and his body fed to our pigs. I was proud of him that night, and ready to die with him, but he had a more sacred task for me: protecting the Blood of Tokugawa.” At this, the old man looked up at the woman.

“At first I protested, but your father insisted that he could trust no other, and so I accepted that great honor. We left that night while you slept, your mother weeping as she fastened you to my back. Looking into her eyes, seeing her sadness, I was almost forced to stay. But there, awakening morning, I could see the smoke of thousands of campfires a day’s march from the city. I knew, if the Blood of Tokugawa were to survive, I must flee.

“We traveled for almost a week, moving once the moon rose, and laying down to sleep as dawn’s rosy fingers crested the horizon. On the morning of the second night, I saw it. Those same campfires I had seen approaching the town, were now IN the town. I knew, then, that I held the last of Tokugawa’s heirs. Fear pushed me onward with you. I couldn’t stop for fear our enemies were just behind us, and the hope that salvation was just over the next ridge.

“On the morning of our sixth day, we were discovered. Lucky for us, it was a tribe of people friendly to your father. They took us in, fed and sheltered us for many moons. But I knew such solace would only be short-lived, as long as we stayed in the old lands. And I was proven right. The Enemies of Tokugawa did indeed find us. They came upon the tribe, and demanded that they turn us over or they would lay waste to the entire clan. In an effort to shield you, Dear One, I began to go out to them, to offer myself up in your stead. As I walked, a was felled by a blow from behind. When I awoke, you and I were on a raft, adrift in the sea. We had provisions to last us for many, many days, but I knew the price those villages paid; they gave themselves up rather than let you fall into the hands of the enemies.

“We were adrift for many days. I did my best to conserve our food, but I feared we would die together on that craft, a failure to my Daimon. And then, as morning came, I saw the most wonderful thing: land! I was afraid this was a mere illusion, a trick played on me by the sun and lack of food. But it was not! Our raft beached itself near the mouth of a narrow river, in a small rice patty. I summoned my remaining strength, and pulled the raft as far inland as possible. Exhausted, I collapsed next to you, and slept.

“I was awakened by your cries of dismay. Instantly, I opened my eyes to take care of you, but found you in the arms of an oddly-colored woman. Around her, surrounding the boat, was a handful of equally odd-colored men. We had finally arrived at your new home, Young One. You know the story of how the Egyptians took us in, treated us as their brothers, and yet the knew nothing of the Emperor, nothing of your Grandfather or the Great War which killed him. Finally, I thought, we were safe.

“And yet, I fear for your safety now that I will not be there to watch over you much longer. The Enemies of Tokugawa are many and crafty. They know they did not kill his bloodline, and they will not rest until they do. I’m sure they have agents even in this far-away land, looking for you, looking to finish the job they started decades ago. And so, you must be wary, Young One. You must learn to fight, and you must learn to lead. I have seen it, in my dreams, Young One, though I have never told you. I have seen you, riding horseback, your hair whipping in the wind behind you as your troops cheer behind you: “The Golden General!”

* * * * * *​

The night sky was just beginning to lighten to purple when the young woman emerged from the hut. “He’s gone,” was all she said as she moved quickly past the gathered villagers. Tears were stinging her eyes, as she broke into a run. I’ve got to get out of here, I’ve got to get out of here, was all she thought as she sprinted as fast as her legs would carry her towards the rising sun. She ran until she was out of strength, and as she approached the jungle, she collapsed in a heap. She lay there, alone, on the edge of the jungle, and cried herself to sleep.

Several hours later, the young woman’s eyes swollen and bloodshot from her sadness, she woke up to see the noonday sun high overhead. My family, she thought to herself . . . murdered. And now, what? Me, a leader of men? A general?? And the enemies of Tokugawa, here?!? For me?? Nonsense, she thought to herself, nonsense . . .

The preceding was unedited since CFC ate my last attempt, so deal with it :p

Leader: The Golden General (Hatshepsut of Egypt)

Opponents: 6 Random
Difficulty: Monarch
Map: Pangaea, Natural shoreline
Size: Normal
Speed: Epic
Variants:
* Always War
* Raging Barbs

Roster:
Patagonia > UP NOW
Cabledawg > on deck
Cosmichail >
Pholkhero >
GreyFox >
Pigswill >
Zophos >
Strauss >

This SG is going to focus on the storytelling aspect as the “Magnificent Seven” was, so please don’t sign up if you can’t commit to that. Not EVERY report need be in the storytelling style, but, ya’ know, *most* of them should be :D Otherwise, anyone is welcome to play.

Also, veterans of Mag7, pls check in as well!

And the Save for Patagonia

:woohoo:

I don't have time to read a novel and a half right now. I'll get to it tonight and see if you've got a good thing here. :p

Try again on the right thread. Please sir, can I join in your game please?

Let's see. Mavens will wait 'til after Monkeys is done, and PH05 is in the home stretch, so I should have time. Focus on storytelling, good, good. And slots are available that are not right before Fox. Ok, sign me up. :thumbsup:

Just out of curiosity...did you make the opponents manually random? 'Cuz running into Tokugawa as an enemy would be, well, awkward, to say the least.

no, they are random. i just actually thought of that as i was rewriting this! i figure, if we meet him, it could be a whole "confronting the past" kind of thing or something like Luke fighting Darth on Dagoba . . . or something :mischief:

edit: you're in, Zoph

That would be cool meeting Toku and perhaps it could be a long lost half brother from the captured by the evil Russians or something like that.

Checking in...

see . . . i'm not worried; that's 3 ideas right there ~ i'm sure if we cross that bridge, whoever does will have a good enough plot device :D

Checking in...good story.
1. Do we move to that southern plains hill for protection? Or do we ignore that and assume were gonna be on the offense.
2. How soon do we prioritize Animal Hus for ponies to hook to the chariots?
3. Do we build a worker first while rearching to archery?
4. Will the AI use their archer as a scout?....Ive seen some used that way, just not sure on Monach.
5. Can a pig fly given the proper motivation?

5. Can a pig fly given the proper motivation?

Sure just put him on a catapult and boy will he fly.

BTW I forgot to mention but the story is quite good indeed. The rest will pale in comparison so sharpen your pens guys.

Oh and settling on a hill might be a good idea this time to get the extra defense. Did we go for BW early last time and skip archery? Don't recall but getting archery might be good since copper might not be in BFC. Also what killed us last time was the slow research perhaps some focus there as well.

What worries about this settlement is that there is very little production and that's what we need a lot of too. So we might want to have a look around before settling.

1. that plaisn hill is 1 off the coast, don't like that ~ but not sure how much that matters in AW
2. well, we start w/wheel and agr, so let's go AH right off the bat, no? we could forego archers and axemen for WCs for barb busting and overruning nearby opponents.
3. i'd *prefer* warrior first, just in case, ya know, but if this is considered to pansy, i like worker first just as much :D
4. I think so, at least until they meet us and war is declared.
5. Yes, but it takes an awful lot of cajoling and sweet talk.

edit: perhaps a move 2 S to keep the rice and grab to Plains HIlls?? we'd lose a forest chop, but . . .

I like that 2s idea Pholk and maybe warrior should move in that direction to see what's there. Also like the idea of AH for chariots but again it's not always in fatcross but oddly enough I find playing Egypt it often is.

Maybe move warrior nw from current position to check out why we have a blue circle nearby. Bananas ain't going to be important for a long time in a non-monkey game.
AH sounds like a good starting tech.

I dont agree with AH first. With raging barbs..Archers will come in handy. But on the other hand....Archery is a dead end tech...which I hate. Getting to bronze will take awhile so in our case, maybe AH first, pray for ponies...if not, beeline to archery?

I'm glad there's some discussion about early strategy since I don't want to mess this up right at the beginning!

I vote we ignore the blue circle to the W since it's got a lot of jungle near it which will make developing the land rather tricky for some time, and I'd shy away from settling on the plains hill itself as if we've got stacks attacking our capital, chances are the game's already toast so a defensive bonus there isn't going to count for very much.

2S seems like an interesting option since irrigated rice will allow us to work two plains-hill mines without sacrificing growth and the bananas aren't farmable (or even wineryable - is that even a word? It is now) so they won't be any real use for too long to worry about. My main concern about moving is the possibility of losing a strategic resource and having to pick it up again with city number 2 (that'd be particularly painful if it turned out to be ponies).

I play Egypt (and Hatty in particular) quite often and generally go worker first whilst researching AH. However, I usually play normal speed so I've got no idea how timings will match up on Epic. Hunting's a prerequisite for both AH and Archery so assuming we can get AH online at a similar time to the worker build, that'd probably be the way to go initially. Then head for mining and bronze so we can chop out a barracks/military/settler depending on resource availability in the neighbourhood.

Everyone please also note that we have jungle visible in at least two directions( W and NE). The map generator will convert jungle to trees within two tiles of the start position, but not outside that radius. Also, it means that IW is going to be important sooner rather than later, since we may have trouble expanding without it. I tend to think that the blue circle NW of the Warrior is not helpful right now - there might be some nice resources near there, but we also may not get access to 'em until we can chop jungle.

I'm a little wary of moving SE-S or 2S - it looks to me like we may have desert south and east of those visible hills. On the other hand, settling in place means just HOPING for another hill or two to be revealed. Kind of a crapshoot.

We already have Ag to develop the rice. I'd go for BW first, for slavery and chops, especially if we settle in place (with low production, but lots of grassland, it would appear). Then probably AH :)please: for horses) and Pottery unless something interesting happens, or head for Archery if we don't have either of our resources.

I would like to sign up for this. I'm quite drunk, so I'll have to check up what I'm signing up for tomorrow. Though any DM-SG should be fun.

@ Strauss ~ you're in!

all ~ i already moved the warrior, i had forgotten by the time i put this up.

i don't think there are any hills under that fog in our present BFC ~ squint at that pic and it looks devoid of hills. Also, though, there seems to be plenty of forest south of us. We may be around the equator ~ who knows? we may be able to use those jungles as a buffer.

@ Cable ~ i think AH > Archery w/no horses ~ another thing to consider is that Hatty starts w/both prereq's for pottery,which would cut down on the time for research. Early cottages may work out well for keeping up in tech down the line.

Also, anybody have any ideas as to how to leverage priests in this w/the Obelisks?

Top Bottom