DMI VII - Team Warlords

Roster business:

1. ·Imhotep·
2. berserks01 >> JUST PLAYED
3. Compromise >> UP NOW
4. GreyFox
5. shyuhe >> ON DECK
6. pigswill

I thought about this one for a while. I decided to bank everything on getting the PA with Louis. So, I set almost all cities to wealth (since everything we wanted to research Louis already had) and removed our spaceship parts from the build queue. That way, we wouldn't waste any production if we were able to get the PA.

I also moved our Great Engineer to one of cities closer to the equator with the plan of rushing the Space Engineer.

1931AD: Oh no!

Kublai pops a Great Engineer! Crap. I presume that's it for the Space Elevator. Our new (and fourth and last) spy heads over to help sabotage production on one of Capac's spaceship parts. No PA offer from Louis.

1932: Well this changes everything!

Kublai used the Engineer to rush the UN! What the...? Okay, let's see how the relations look.

Well, well, well:

With Capac, we're at:

And with Kublai, Capac's at:

Capac actually likes us more than he likes Kublai! And we don't have any "trade relations" bonuses. But that fixable, if we had a tech or:

5000g is worth +3 in relations!

Still no PA with Louis.

Okay this is going to be tight, because I've found where Capac is building his Engine:

Seven more turns for his engine, and he's got two other builds too. This is going to be close. We should be able to interrupt his builds, but we can't risk our spies getting caught if we want him to vote for us.

1933: I just don't remember because next year...

1934: Yes!

A permanent alliance with Louis. Excellent! I ask him to start on Fission, then Fusion so we can get started with the Engine. (Oh, and I asked him for a Hit Wonder and his 2200+ gold too. I figured we'd put it to better use than he would.)

But also in 1934...a setback:

In the very year when we make our PA with Louis and can rush the Space Elevator with the Great Engineer saved for that purpose, Capac finishes the Elevator. Bastard!

So, I use the Engineer with our other great person (a scientist?) to start a golden age. Intense....

1935: First election for UN Secretary General and...

1936: And the results...

Yes! Even Capac votes for us! I lose the majority of my fingernails on these turns.

1937: Kublai offers us Refrigeration and 590g for Fiber Optics. Done! Groan, Capac finishes his Life Support. I gave up on blocking his Life Support (which will finish sooner than his Engine) and put all 4 spies in Corihuaysomethingay to stop his engine. But for the love of humanity, give us the option of calling for a diplo victory vote!!!

1938: Fusion is in. With engineers and starvation, I can get the Engine done in 8T in Moscow. Capac is just one turn away from completing his Engine.. But, I can't use the spies because if they get caught, he'll get mad.

Crisis! I can't block his Engine since the vote doesn't come up this turn. I decide that since he has one more part, I'm going to gamble that they will not finish on the same turn. I keep one spy here and send out the other 3 to nearby cities hoping to find his Stasis Chamber city.

1939:

Finally, the vote is called. But Capac finishes his Engine. And in his capital:

Three turns to go until his Stasis Chamber finishes! But, I can get all 4 spies to the city. My fingers are gnawn away to knuckle bones.

Oh please please please

1940: And

and!

...sorry, I have to run. I'll finish the report soon.

Just kidding:

A diplomatic victory for Peter the Warlord. Best 5000g we've ever spent! And that'll do it for my 10T turnset.

To be honest, we would likely have won by space race with sufficient spy success, but I think this victory was worth more points in the Battle of the CiV versions, so I thought we had to go for it.

The attached save is the autosave as we win victory.

To be honest, I haven't looked to see the units killed, wonders built or other stats because I really do have to run now.

But I couldn't wait to write this report. What a fun ride!

Edit: I forgot to note that this was my 999th post.

Attachments

• AutoSave_AD-1940.CivWarlordsSave
    431.7 KB · Views: 77
...sorry, I have to run. I'll finish the report soon.
I'm not even on your team and you're killing me!

EDIT: Nevermind :lol:

Awesome game. The best closest call I've seen thus far. Even though we Vanillas were better, you get points for style ;)

Hohoho, what a twist in events!! :lol:

Glad that this game finishes the day before I go on Hiatus. :thumbsup:

Nice finish, never thought diplo was possible. I always think space is the only way. We were very fortunate in that KK decide to burn the engineer on UN, making us the other UN contender (instead of us versus HC).

--

Indeed a great come from behind victory! KK really saved us the game there :) I wonder what our final "score" is under the scoring system.

Compromise said:
I lose the majority of my fingernails on these turns.

I laughed pretty hard at this. :lol:

Well played by you guys and the most exciting ending in a SG ever.

Nice report.

Interesting turn of events.

Good call on the cash bribe to HC (something I wouldn't have thought to do).

Interesting decision to make re scoring: just counting our votes gives us a diplomatic victory but if you include Louis's votes through PA then its a pseudo-diplomatic victory.

Great game guys. I knew we could do it ... just didn't think Diplo was in the list of possible victories, that's all :p

And we were going easy on those 2 other teams, too ;)

Great finish, Compromise ! I thought the pictures just didn't load until I saw your little prank... very well done, both the play and the report ! Thanks to my teammates for surging on to this win, I was always confident we could do it. Guess I'll have to calculate the scores then, I'll do that soonish...

Imhotep

I computed a preliminary "custom score." It would probably be good if it were double-checked by someone.

Pyramids: 500
G Library: 400
Units killed: 2490 (249x10)
Friendly AIs: 650 (650x1)
Voting AIs: 400 (200x2)
True Diplo: 2500
--------------------------
Total: 6940 pts

For units killed, I didn't count barb animals or non-militants like missionaries or workers or somebody's Great Engineer. I did count ships since they could have been used against us (though I suspect most of these were sunk in port as we captured cities).

I also used our end-of-game statistics rather than some earlier save as I'd suggested somewhere back there. It would be easy enough to load an earlier save to recount the units.

I also went on the strict interpretation of the diplo victory. Did we have less than 40% of the votes? Strictly speaking, yes: our civ had 382/1252. Did we have a Friendly AI at the end? Yes (Louis). Both Louis and Capac voted for us.

I think there's certainly a gray area here since Permanent Alliances weren't specifically considered in the scoring. However, I don't think we should be penalized for trying extra hard to make a strong AI friend.

Also, as was pointed out Ozbenno above, we would have won with the same votes without the PA. (I didn't notice that while playing. Too much nailbiting probably.) The PA actually turned out to be a tech and production boon in what would have been our (previously primary-) backup-plan: Star Trek.

For the record, I thought this one was great fun and high excitement in and of itself even without the competitive scoring aspect. Thank you all for a great game.

Top Bottom