1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

DMI VII - Team Warlords

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by ·Imhotep·, Dec 9, 2007.

1. ·Imhotep·

·Imhotep· Legendary Builder

I think that military attempts should make a good portion of our game. Especially because our siege can still outright kill defenders (get me some Trebuchets !). If we want the copper site I'd suggest settling on the plains hill 1 S 2E of the river bend. It wastes some tiles between the capital, but will be a strong city in the future...

Imhotep

2. berserks01

berserks01 Obviously Very Confused

You miss the corn on that site though.

3. Compromise

Compromise Emperor

Are we rushing Hatty or making a try at the Pyramids? (Maybe both?) I did a quick test game and found that most AIs have settlers running around in 2600 BC and barb warriors come soon after: ~2300. The timing might be close, so I may whip the settler to get it out the door a couple turns earlier.

I like the Wheel as the next tech, especially if we are going to try for the copper city.

I made another screenshot and labelled some potential second city sites:

Right now, I'm kind of leaning toward "D" because it gets corn and copper into play right away without border pops, and also has a pre-CS max size of 9 which is adequate. Plus, it may crowd Hatty a bit.

A little analysis of potential copper city sites:
    (Note: Below GH=grass hill, PH=plains hill)

[pre]
    A: Proposed by beserks01
    +: Near river for quick capital trade connection and health
    Food for copper, 4 river-plains cottages, 2 self-feeding grass squares
    3 forests for health or chopping
    1 grass hill, 1 plains hill
    -: Requires border pop for corn and copper

B: Proposed by Imhotep.
    +: On a plains hill
    Food for 6 cottages, a grass hill min, and a plains copper mine
    2 forests for health or chopping
    2 grass hills in range
    -: No food bonus. (!)
    ?: Secret Legendary weed stash?

C: Proposed by Compromise
    +: Located toward capital
    Food for copper, 4 river-plains cottages, 5 self-feeding grass squares
    3 forests for health or chopping
    1 grass hill, 2 plains hills (but only food for copper, 1 GH, 1.5 PH)
    -: Requires border pop for corn

D: Currently favored by Compromise
    +: Food for copper, 3 river-plains cottages, 4 grass squares, 1 GH
    2 forests for health or chopping
    1 grass hill, 2 plains hills (but only food for copper, 1 GH, 1.5 PH)
    Requires no border pops for corn or copper (!)

E: +: Food (oasis) for copper, 1GH, 0.5PH
    7 cottageable squares
    -: Requires border pop for oasis

F: +: On plains hill
    Food for copper, 3 plains cottages, 3 GHs, 7 grass squares
    -: Farther from capital, river
    Requires border pop for all (corn, copper, oasis) resources
    [/pre]

4. berserks01

Ok, I like site C now. Copper right away, and corn with border pop. But C has more grass than D with the same number of hills.

5. Compromise

Compromise Emperor

What do you think about going for Stonehenge? It gets us a few scenario points and will probably pop our borders for much of the game. We could start Mysticism right after the Wheel.

6. berserks01

Doesn't the henge expire with Calendar in Warlords? That's kinda soon, but if it's cheap to build I'd say go for it.

7. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

I would rather go for the Pyramids... but I am obsessed with the pointy thingy.

8. Compromise

Compromise Emperor

Hmmm. Stonehenge does expire with Calendar for Warlords. That may be too early, although there aren't too many cal-resources that I see yet.

I'm a bit confused. Should I be playing or waiting for more input from the team? These next few turnsets will determine which scoring goals we aim for (if any), so I'm reluctant to proceed without some consensus. (I can, of course, but then we might wish we'd done something different sooner.)

For reference, the scoring post is here. I'm assuming that "every" means "each" for some of those conditions. Also, I'm not sure if we're using the "latest save before the ending date of the fastest finishing team" for unit kill totals or not.

9. berserks01

I'd wait a few more hours and then just go ahead and play. We've already been discussing and if no one else chimes in when we ask, we can only do what was agreed upon by those who do. At least, that's what I think happen in cases where I don't chime in :p

Plus, this is Warlords Monarch .... how hard can it be? (last famous words? :p )

10. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

Not last famous words ... it's famous last words. At least in Civ. I would say go head and play after you have waited a reasonable amount of time for input. What's reasonable is ofcourse up to your interpretation.

As to the multiple-choice question of A,B,C,D,E, or F, I don't really have a preference. They are all average, non-exciting to me, I wouldn't even consider them if not for the copper. If I must choose, I tend to go for B as well.

--

11. Compromise

Compromise Emperor

Warrior finishes in Moscow and heads east toward the new copper site. There's bears that way! (Though really, Hatty sent a warrior that probably found the bear.)

Moscow starts a settler. It'll take about 10T.

Meanwhile, our scout up north heads back through town to see his wife and the kids before heading east to bust fog near the copper city site.

The worker finishes up one grass hill mine and heads to a forested grass hill on the river. Since there's not enough time before the settler completes to build the mine, he just chops the forest there. (We'll want to work that mine because it has extra commerce from the river.)

Somebody goes Hindu in 2840BC, but it isn't Hatty.

Our first warrior continues scouting southwest, and is visited by a bear in the interturn. He avoids the bear, finds stone, sees wolf:

(The bear wandered off and the wolf was defeated without damage to our intrepid warrior.)

There is no food at all near this stone resource. Unless you count the lakes--which would have a tiny surplus with a lighthouse--or farms around the lake.

Wheel comes in in 2720BC, and I decide to start Mysticism for Stonehenge or a Monument.

In 2680BC, the settler completes and I start another worker. Lots for them to do.

By 2560BC, we're ready to found St Petersburg:

You can't see the scout on the hill up north, but with a lot of leapfrogging, the fog on the route for the settler was well busted. The worker got here a bit early, so I had him build a road on the forest near the river. This will immediately connect our two cities, save a turn getting to the copper after St Pete is founded, and give us quick access to a chop if we want it. Started a warrior in St Pete upon founding. Worker went immediately to get the copper mine going.

The founding of St Pete revealed that the Egyptians popped a settler out nice and quick too:

That one might be worth keeping! :devil:

In 2480BC, Mysticism is in and the new worker completes in Moscow.

I stop here because I think it's decision time. Next tech? I suggest Pottery for cheap granaries. Builds? If we want Stonehenge, now's probably the time. St Pete can pump warriors/axes while Moscow builds a wonder.

Do we want that stone? I suggest looking around further before deciding, but if we want to play for points--something I enjoy but am not obsessed about--we'll probably want it for the Pyramids.

Still no sign of any other AIs, so we may want to keep Hatty alive to let her build up some cities for us.

I've posted a bazillion signs on the map. They suggest courses of action for each unit. (Don't worry, I only do this at the very beginning of the games when there are few units.) Please delete them after you read them.

Edit: For planning purposes, here's the stone site (warrior endured a panther attack and is healing):

Attached Files:

12. berserks01

Good turns. It would seem that we might be alone on this island with Hatty. If that's the case, let's make this "our" island quickly.

Lucky's up.

13. berserks01

Lucky, you there?

If Lucky doesn't pick up in 12 hours, shyuhe please take it to keep the game going.

14. Lucky1972

Lucky1972 Prince

Sorry, this is the first time in 3 days I can connect to the internet. I don't have a civ computer for the time being, and I am not sure when I will be able to play. (Had to hand over my laptop to customer service :( ). Please skip me for now, I will keep you informed.

15. berserks01

Ok. Let us know when you're civ-able again Lucky.

Shyuhe, you're up.

16. berserks01

Hmmm ... shyuhe, you there?

If shyuhe does pick up in 12 hours, Fox you're up.

17. Compromise

Compromise Emperor

I'll relieve beserks of the nag role for a bit: GreyFox, will you take it?

18. ·Imhotep·

·Imhotep· Legendary Builder

Well, if shyuhe & GreyFox can't play, then I'll step in...

19. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

I can take it, of-course. I am back to "where no one has gone before". I am just giving Shyuhe a bit more time since he did churn out a turnset in Fox09, so he can't be OoP.

Got it then.

--

20. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

Looked at the save, decided to delay playing a bit. We have to decide what we are going to do in the short term. Are we going builder mode or war mode?

Builder mode, I would go Pottery > Animal Husbandry > Masonry, and likely build one more settler.

War mode is simple: Pottery in prep for whip, and start some barracks/axe/spears.

Take your pick. I would usually go war mode, since stone is far away, and hatty is pretty near. Would be terribly unfortunate though should she has war chariots.

--