DMI VII - Team Warlords

Sadly, I will have to ask you to replace me in this roster. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what's happening, but I can't. Apparently the Warlords CD I bought here in Brazil is different from the one distributed in the rest of the world, and after I upgraded to 2.13 the game does not recognize the CD anymore and keeps asking for it. I placed a request with customer service in the Brazilian distributor but no answer until now. I don't know what else I could do. I am sorry for the delay this problem caused for the team's play and will keep lurking (without looking at the save, it is hard to even participate on the discussion). :(

Took a look around, but nothing much to see so I just hit enter.

Our scout encounters a barb warrior and runs away .... chicken!!!

Moscow spits out a settler. I sent him to Petersburg to meet up with the axe being produced there to head to the corn/cow site.

Masonry came in and I went for IW next.

Fox times it perfectly to have Moscow finish it's build right at the turn Masonry came in, but decided to spawn an axe at Moscow before Pyramids since I'm seeing barbs popping up everywhere.

Found Novgorod at discussed site, and already we're blocking both Hatty and Washington from our side.

The land to the west shows some nice resources and it looks like it's connected to another land mass and possibly another civ.

But pay attention to the signs here, or we lose a scout ;)

Oh, I played 15 turns btw, since it's 15 peace and 10 war turns for DMs I think.

Attachments

• DMI VII BC-1320.CivWarlordsSave
    128.4 KB · Views: 53
Sadly, I will have to ask you to replace me in this roster. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what's happening, but I can't. Apparently the Warlords CD I bought here in Brazil is different from the one distributed in the rest of the world, and after I upgraded to 2.13 the game does not recognize the CD anymore and keeps asking for it. I placed a request with customer service in the Brazilian distributor but no answer until now. I don't know what else I could do. I am sorry for the delay this problem caused for the team's play and will keep lurking (without looking at the save, it is hard to even participate on the discussion). :(
Sorry to hear that Lucky. Did you try uninstalling everything, and re-installing from scratch? Meaning :

- install civ4, then patch to latest
- install warlords, then patch to latest
- install bts, then patch to latest

- install civ4, then patch to latest
- install warlords, then patch to latest
- install bts, then patch to latest

Not is this order. I am not very confident about this, because I had the same problem upgrading Warlords to 2.08, and the solution was to use a version of the patch provided by the Brazilian distributor (no word from them yet about 2.13). Anyway, I will try it as soon as I can (after playing my DMVI turnset).

I'm in a rush to post this, so I'll update with screenshots later tonight. In the meantime:

1320BC (IT): Look around, all seems good. We're making +1gpt at 50% research. Since it's early, I drop down to 0% research. Maybe if one of our kind neighbors gets IW before we do, we'll get a little discount. Our copper city being defended by a lone warrior with a barb warrior is a bit unnerving!

1280BC (1): Our city defender warrior defends against the barb with little trouble. I notice that Hatty has 4 cities (inc. capital) and--according to her diplo statement--war chariots. Impressive.

1160BC (4): Our scout off to the far west meets another AI!

<Capac pic>

His archer is wounded near where the old barb warrior was. I guess we know who came out on top in that encounter. We seem to be connected to HC by a narrow isthmus. He offers us Open Borders, so I accept. Why not? Also, we're back to 100% research for IW. This should come in in about 6T.

1120BC (5): I notice that the capital has grown to its happy cap, so I unassign the food and work all hills. Brings the Pyramids down to 28T away.

1080BC (6): We meet yet another AI: Hindu Louis! That could pose a Pyramids risk. Maybe he'll go for the Great Wall instead. Of everyone we're aware of, he only knows Capac. He can't offer us open borders yet. I have to spend another turn at 0% research to fund IW research.

1000BC (7): Capac adopts Hereditary Rule, and I don't see ya notice that the Oracle has fallen. That was fast! Also, moving the scout I have in American territory reveals yet another AI:

So much for thinking we're alone with Hatty! Is that everyone?

925BC: Ironworking completes. We have Iron in the capital's BFC. Sweet. I decide to stop here since I'm not sure what tech to go for next. Also, we might want to change up our approach since we seem to be on one big happy continent!

(to be updated. I'll post when I update.)

Attachments

• DMI VII BC-0925.CivWarlordsSave
    139.6 KB · Views: 106
We can effectively block off the west with a city. Then we can concentrate on making the east "our" side.

The roster as it stands. Maybe we can rally a couple of players to join our illustrious team?

The Roster

1. ·Imhotep· >> on deck
2. berserks01
3. Compromise >> Just played
6. GreyFox >> UP

Please ping us if you can get back on the roster

4. Lucky1972
5. shyuhe

Instead of editing with screenshots, I'll just post a little more. Capac and Louis are off to the west. (We've got a scout there who's going to die in the interturn because he found a barb warrior with his turn-ending move.)

Kublai's unit was wounded NE of Boston. We've got a warrior over there poking around a bit.

I had workers around the capital chop one forest outside the BFC, then do some roading. Our copper city has been pumping axes. Our third city has been building infrastructure: monument now granary (I think). It has been connected by roads and I think the corn is improved.

The capital is just working on the Pyramids. With Louis in the game, I hope we get it.

I'm not sure if we need a blocking city to the west. The civs seem to be reasonably far away. Also, the first one of them to plant a city on the isthmus will block the other.

I think I remember the Oracle falling in a distant land on the last turn I played.

I guess I'd recommend just taking mostly AI cities for future expansison. Hatty looks nice and close....

:please: My apologies. I didn't even know I had been placed on the roster. I could have sworn that I initially said that I'm only lurking, not playing (because of vacation time). I can start playing from 1/10... Again, my apologies. :please:

I've tried to read up on what's gone on so far. Since I've missed about two weeks (and will miss another 2), I'll post some thoughts for now:

This looks like a pangaea type fractal map so we'll have lots of opportunities to wage war. We should probably try for 1 friendly civ voting for us at the end to push us to a true diplo victory for maximum points. That means we can war with all of the other civs in the game to kill the most units. We can also gift cities near the end of the game to manipulate the UN vote counts so we we have lots of flexibility at the end of the game. We just have to make sure we keep one buddy throughout the game. The warlords AI has massive city maintenance discounts so unless they're on a separate landmass (i.e., far away), we'll be able to gift as many cities as we need to at the end. It's a pity we don't get the liberation bonus of bts...

As for how to get to Mass Media, I think SE/CE with a GS led charge will be the fastest route. All of the MM techs can be bulbed with a GS except for MM itself (which can be done with a GA). If we can get the pyramids, we should run 2-3 GP farms to get the necessary GS to bulb through MM. I can't vouch for 100% accuracy on these numbers but they should be close, assuming no discounts (for other AI knowing the tech) :

philo: 1
paper: 1
education: 2
liberalism: 1ish
astronomy (2990 beakers): 2
SM (3588 beakers): 2
physics (5980 beakers): 2-3
electricity (6728 beakers): 3 (chemistry and biology block this bulb)
radio (8970 beakers) : 4 (chemistry, bio, steam power, refrigeration, combustion block this bulb)
MM: a bunch of other techs block this one, including democracy and corporation (which are unlocked after MT because of constitution). Communism is also in the way.

So tech wise, we can get MT + gunpowder and we can also get rifling. But if we're going to bulb our way to MM, we must avoid chemistry as it messes up everything that comes after it. Assuming we can get all GS (unlikely with the pyramids), that's 14 post liberalism GS (excluding the freebie from physics). If we instead burn 1 on astro, 1 on SM, 2 on physics, 3 on electricity, 3 on radio, that's a slightly more manageable 9+1 GS. Tough, but not impossible. Of course we'll want a large empire to increase the bulb value. And we should also keep the GE from the pyramids for the UN itself to speed up the endgame.

That just leaves us with making sure we mop up a few AI before we start the GS bulbing marathon towards MM so that we have lots of population. The good news is that the warlords AI builds massive cities so we'll pick up very big cities via war (and no insane AI whipping like BTS). If we can get an early cossack rush going, taking cities should not be a problem (and we can gift unnecessary ones).

Quiet uneventful set.

Except for this:

Hmmm.... Bloody computer lied!

It wasn't in a far away land ... it is just bloody next door!!!

Other than that, we are going broke at 40%, I think we should get some cottages up.

And, so much for the plan to block AIs ... we found mongolia further down the the east of egypt and america:

And, a barb city just pop up:

How many more turns til the pyramids come in?

Imhotep is up.

The save I inherited shows 10 turns to go on the Pyramids and a future Settler coming up in 5. Other than that things look good. Our economy needs reshaping as it is in the sink. Lay down more cottages and work them is the order of the day. We start off !

Qin wants us to open borders. As he is far away I decline.

Confucianism FIDL. Huayna adopts it next turn, so the founder is acknowledged. You also see in the screenie that the Oracle and the GW fell pretty fast.

The Settler is finished. I decide to settle Rostov making use of the uber grass flood plain (which wasn't put there deliberately, it was an accident). Rostov will serve as good production city with all those hills.

We discover Writing. Libraries are sorely missed, so I will start some soon.

Next research goal is Alphabet. We should get into the trading game or at least see how the other AI are doing.

WOOT !

And we revolt of course...

With plenty of happiness available I set our cities into growth mode. Moscow works the cottages while growing...

We meet a lady. She is far into the west.

Hatty wants to open borders. Uhm...no. We'd rather settle our backyard ourselves.

At the end of my 15 I made a new dotmap:

Discuss. Next player will have a new Settler ready, I also trained some Axes. Our border cities should train a Spear or two too, I don't want Hatty getting itchy on us with her War Chariots. We should focus on working the cottages whenever possible, right now we're back at 50% research at break even. Check often if the governor (or the city itself) screws things up ! Alphabet will come in 23, this will considerably speed up once we have some Scientists.

Imhotep

Spoiler The Log :
Logging by Ruff's Cobbled Mod Pack v2.0.4 (Warlords v2.08) - New Log Entries
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Turn 85/460 (750 BC) [27-Dec-2007 21:33:13]
Novgorod's borders expand

IBT:

Turn 86/460 (725 BC) [27-Dec-2007 21:35:47]
A Cottage was built near Moscow

IBT:

Turn 87/460 (700 BC) [27-Dec-2007 21:36:55]
A Cottage was built near Novgorod

IBT:
Confucianism founded in a distant land

Turn 88/460 (675 BC) [27-Dec-2007 21:37:09]

IBT:
State Religion Change: Huayna Capac(Inca) from 'no State Religion' to 'Confucianism'
State Religion Change: Washington(America) from 'no State Religion' to 'Buddhism'
Attitude Change: Huayna Capac(Inca) towards Kublai Khan(Mongolia), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'
Attitude Change: Huayna Capac(Inca) towards Washington(America), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'
Attitude Change: Louis XIV(France) towards Washington(America), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'
Attitude Change: Washington(America) towards Huayna Capac(Inca), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'

Turn 89/460 (650 BC) [27-Dec-2007 21:37:29]
St. Petersburg finishes: Settler
Novgorod finishes: Barracks

IBT:
Civics Change: Hatshepsut(Egypt) from 'Despotism' to 'Hereditary Rule'

Turn 90/460 (625 BC) [27-Dec-2007 21:38:04]
St. Petersburg begins: Axeman (3 turns)
Novgorod begins: Axeman (5 turns)
A Farm was built near Novgorod
A Farm was built near Moscow

IBT:

Turn 91/460 (600 BC) [27-Dec-2007 21:39:19]

IBT:
Attitude Change: Washington(America) towards Louis XIV(France), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'

Turn 92/460 (575 BC) [27-Dec-2007 21:39:54]
A Pasture was built near Novgorod
St. Petersburg finishes: Axeman

IBT:

Turn 93/460 (550 BC) [27-Dec-2007 21:40:40]
St. Petersburg begins: Settler (8 turns)
Rostov founded
Rostov begins: Monument (30 turns)
Novgorod finishes: Axeman

IBT:

Turn 94/460 (525 BC) [27-Dec-2007 21:42:12]
Novgorod begins: Worker (5 turns)
Tech learned: Writing
Moscow finishes: The Pyramids

IBT:

Turn 95/460 (500 BC) [27-Dec-2007 21:42:57]
Research begun: Alphabet (56 Turns)
Moscow begins: Granary (2 turns)

IBT:
Civics Change: DMI VII(Russia) from 'Despotism' to 'Representation'
Civics Change: DMI VII(Russia) from 'Tribalism' to 'Slavery'

Turn 96/460 (475 BC) [27-Dec-2007 21:44:30]
Novgorod begins: Library (12 turns)
Novgorod grows: 5

IBT:

Turn 97/460 (450 BC) [27-Dec-2007 21:45:42]
Contact made: Spanish Empire

IBT:

Turn 98/460 (425 BC) [27-Dec-2007 21:46:18]
A Mine was built near Rostov
Rostov grows: 2

IBT:

Turn 99/460 (400 BC) [27-Dec-2007 21:46:42]
Moscow finishes: Granary

IBT:

Turn 100/460 (375 BC) [27-Dec-2007 21:46:55]
Moscow begins: Library (9 turns)
Research begun: Alphabet (35 Turns)

The Roster

1. ·Imhotep· >> JUST PLAYED
2. berserks01 >> UP
3. Compromise >> ON DECK
6. GreyFox >>

Please ping us if you can get back on the roster

4. Lucky1972 (Warlords issues)
5. shyuhe (on vacation)

From your dot map, I'm assuming we keep the barb city then?

I'll settle site A first to get stones hooked up for any future wonders we might want.

Got it for tomorrow.

I think the barb city will be okay to keep. Maybe park an axe on a nearby forested hill to keep the barbs busy and earn some experience.

Agree with an economic focus and postponing offensive operations for a while; work those cottages.

Dotmap is fine. I'd first chop a monument, then build a granary in each city since the resources are in the second ring. (Unless we get religion, of course.)

I haven't looked at the save. Shall we decide our diplomatic intentions yet? Open borders with religious civs might help expedite the formation of a dominant religious block.

Top Bottom