1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] DNC v. Trump, Russia, Wikileaks et al

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zkribbler, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Chieftain

The Democratic National Committee has filed suit against President Trump, the Trump Campaign, Trump aides, Russia, the GRU, Wikileaks, etc. over an alleged conspiracy to break into DNC computers, to steal confidential information, and to disseminate it in order to harm the DNC and its election efforts.

http://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/2018/images/04/20/dnc.lawsuit.pdf

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/04/20/politics/democrats-lawsuit-russia/index.html

Before retiring, I worked in a courtroom for two decades. I have seen thousands upon thousands of pleadings. This is one of the best organized, clearest complaints I have ever seen. :thumbsup:

Birdjaguar likes this.
  2. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Warlord Super Moderator

I suspect this is mostly a fishing expedition to get Trump to commit perjury and/or obstruct justice (even more than he already has). That would provide ammunition for impeachment should the Democrats gain control of the House, although impeaching him would be an empty gesture since it's highly unlikely that they could get enough Republican votes from the Senate to remove him from office.

The only way that would happen is if he managed to lose a big fraction of the Republican base, dropping his approval rating well below 35% and convincing the Republicans that it would be better to have Pence at the helm. This doesn't look likely at the moment, absent a 2008-style financial crisis or a deeply unpopular war.

Lexicus likes this.
  3. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Chieftain

...and/or to delegitimize the election.
    AFAIK, there's no way to cancel a "stolen" election after it's been certified :hammer: but a judicial finding of fraud and proving a Trump-Russia conspiracy would erode Trump's popularity even further, turning him into a giant expanse of quicksand sucking the entire GOP deep down into the swampland of doom.

I predicted way back when Trump took office that it would not be the Democrats leading the charge to impeach him, but rather the Republicans. :backstab:

4. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

I see the point mostly as opening a new front in the Trump/Russia affair - basically, a forum for examination of the affair and related evidence that the Republican members in congress and/or the Trump executive *can't* attempt to shut down.

5. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Warlord Super Moderator

There was no fraud in terms of who actually received the most votes in each state, so Trump did win the election (under the stupid rules of the EC, but still). It was a propaganda campaign in which some amount of collusion with a foreign country is alleged. But yeah, even if the election had been blatantly stolen, once the EC votes there isn't anything that can be done. If I conducted a seance and brought in Samuel Tilden, I'm sure he'd go on for a long time about this.

But yeah, I'm sure they'll catch quite a lot of fish, which will quickly start stinking and annoying voters. The question is if any part of the 35% of the population (i.e. the vast majority of Republicans) who support Trump wholeheartedly would start reconsidering their support. That's what it would take to get the Republicans to dump him, and their cooperation is needed in the Senate. Otherwise it's just political theater. My best guess is that this won't occur unless there's a recession and/or unpopular war in the near future, and even then I'm not sure. It's probably almost as likely that he'll die by then - hopefully from being a 71-year-old obese man in a high-stress position, rather than from assassination.

6. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

It's a win-win scenario for the dems, really. If the Republicans impeach, Trump is out of power, and the R base is demotivated and angry; odds are many of the better R candidates are replaced by much more politically vulnerable Trump wingnuts in primaries. If the Republicans don'T impeach, they tie themselves to Trump and run up the odds of being dragged down with him, while leaving a bunch of Dems, Independents and Never-Trumps angry and motivated.

I suspect the Dems actually prefer the later option, which probably offers the better odd of long-term congress damage for the Rs in 2018-20.

7. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Russia should respond by accepting it leaked DNC actions to trudge up the Hillary (like Obama said) over Bernie. :jesus:

8. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Wow, that sounds serious.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/21/politics/trump-dnc-lawsuit-tweet/index.html
    Or not.

TheMeInTeam and Tristan_C like this.
  9. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Chieftain

Do you mean "dredge up?"

10. Berzerker

Berzerker Chieftain

Did Hillary's private servers get hacked or was this the DNC's own system? It'd be funny if Hillary's set up was hacked when she bypassed the federal system.

11. Patine

Patine Chieftain

I find it interesting that a number of Third World emerging democracies have mechanisms for "cancelling a stolen election" which have been invoked in several occasions in the post-Colonial world, and such mechanisms have been demanded in many other cases, including by U.S. politicians, diplomats, and NGO's centred in the U.S., but the U.S., which consistently boasts to be the "greatest electoral constitutional democratic republic on Earth that all others should be judged against" has no such mechanism and, indeed, it's basically a matter of being stuck with the results of such an election, even if proven to be rigged or tampered with beyond a shadow of a doubt, with no possible standing legal or Constitutional recourse.

Lexicus likes this.
  12. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Both were hacked, and Russians choose to release DNC emails to wikileaks.
    Irony is that RNC was also hacked but Russia choose not to release emails to wikileaks

13. FriendlyFire

The hacking must have been done under the instructions of Trump or RNC. The main hurdle is proving that direct link for this law suite to work
    And its feel premature as Mueller investigation is still ongoing. The domino likely to fall is Trump Jnr (Trump tower meeting)
    The only link seems to be Papadoplous whom has said he was directed by a person in the Trump campaign (this person is masked but probably manafort)
    And Comeny who said there was evidence of Russia conspiracy that the FBI had evidence but the public dont know about

14. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Chieftain

I'm not familiar with this point of law, but I believe it is sufficient if the GRU went to the Trump Campaign, told it the GRU had hacked info, and sold/gave it to Trump.

15. FriendlyFire

It could be classed as simply opposition research, that Russia obtained from "somewhere" e.g Russia says it got it from a third party and simply sold it forward to Trump campaign.
    Thats not to say it wasnt the Russians hacking into the RNC at the request of the Trump campaign. Its proving it with evidence in a court of law.

16. Kyriakos

Why would anyone do that, when the files are free to read at wikileaks?
    I recall CNN saying that americans should not see wikileaks files, cause wikileaks is anti-american &c. Maybe a web ban - like in non-democratic states- could help :mischief:

Obama said trudge up, making fun of Hillary and trying to come up with a slogan similar to "Feel the Bern" :)

17. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Neurotic Panda

I got a better slogan should Hillary run in 2020 "A Hill' you can die on!" :mischief::p
    Since Hillary running in 2020 would be sooo helpful to Democrat election prospects.....

Samson and Kyriakos like this.
  18. Kyriakos

Careful or @Sommerswerd will label you a Trump supporter, cause those are the only people who dislike Hillary :yup:
    Oh, and scottish marxists. And portuguese posters - but they likely also support Trump :borg:

19. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo https://thespacecadetblog.com/

No dude, there are a ton of people in the Democratic party who are sick of Hillary Clinton and wish she would go away. She is a lightening rod for Republicans and offers nothing positive to the political discourse of the country at this point.

Kyriakos likes this.
  20. Kyriakos

I know. Tell that to Fam Sommer :)