Do Agnostics exist?

Either an entity with certain knowledge of them (eg God) reveals them to humans, or we live with uncertainty.

This conclusion is based on the starting condition of the existance of "God". So it is not the conclusion of an agnostic person, but of a Deist, as I have explained before.

This conclusion is based on the starting condition of the existance of "God". So it is not the conclusion of an agnostic person, but of a Deist, as I have explained before.

No it isn't. What I am saying is that certain knowledge can only be gained through being told by God - not that said knowledge exists. For example, that God exists. If God doesn't exist (a possibility I accept as valid) then of course it is thus not possible to gain knowledge of God.

I had understood that you and others for you had made clear that you "feel" God exists, but you think that its existance will never be proven. If I understood wrong then nevermind.

Well, I am of the view that we will be able to have a certain knowledge* of God - after we have died and appear before Him. However, that is not really relevant to the current discussion.

*As certain as we can be about anything external.

water covers hot water and cold water, cool water, warm water, dense water, clear water, dirty water, polluted water... should I go on ?
Agnosticism has a clear definition, you either are agnostic or you are not, there is no such thing as "the definition of agnosticism does not cover my feelings", this can only mean that you are not agnostic, period.

:lol: dude, you need to chill out and read what I'm actually writing

this is what I said, how can you disagree while agreeing ? You said you aren't agnostic, didn't you ?

You said that you are either agnostic or not. I disagreed, saying that I am both agnostic (by virtue of being agnostic-ish) and not agnostic (by virtue of being a Christian). so the definition isn't as clear cut as you were making out.

Do Agnostics exist?
I don't know. If God can't prove that whether an agnostic exist or not, then I have to say that maybe God is not omniscient and omnipresent in a world where agnostics live.:crazyeye:

I have learned a new word today. I have learned about Ignosticism because of this thread. I is smarter then I was before I ventured here. And people say threads like these are useless.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

While I am very grateful for the implicit appreciation of my post, all you've really proven is that reading my post helped you learn something, not that the thread overall is useful. Santa smiley, yay! ;) But especially since this is a topic that recurs every few months and people still debate the same thing over what "agnostic" means. I tend to think either you get a dictionary and therefore side with the philoso-geeks or you go by population surveys and the general uses of the term (like that thread about "Nones.") Anyway I still prefer to identify as atheist even though I'd say I'm as "agnostic" as any by the historical definition, but it's the only way to be clear to people I'm not a Wiccan or agnostic theist or something, since no one else outside of CFC OT and Internet philosophers knows what agnostic is "supposed to mean."

Top Bottom