Do AI workers listen to the city governor's intentions?

V. Soma

long time civ fan
My question is simple:

When on auto-pilot, or AI:
do the workers take into consideration when working for a city
that what are the city governor's emphasies are set to?

Like:
I have a city that is set at the Governor to make hammer as priority.
I put the workers on auto...
Will they work the tiles around the city to get the optimized amount of hammer?
(I mean to make a population that is big enough to make most hammer
- but not bigger a population that would mean less hammer)

As far as I see - the answer is NO...

But they evidently should, shouldn't they?
Couldn't this be improved/fixed by a mod? :)

Because I consider the worker the single most important unit in the game I would never allow anyone else to control what they do for me, let alone a game engine that has shown poor strategic planning is it weakest link.

I also NEVER let it be auto for myself.
But what about the poor AI player? :)

Hey, couldn't this problem be solved with a "little" coding?

(Blake! Our saviour, where are you?) ;)

I think they do. I often seen them build cottages around "max science" cities, and mines around "max production" cities. Might just be a coincidence though.

I'm assuming it is a coincidence and mainly relates to hills (that can be mined) being available around the production cities while less so around the science cities :)

I used to automate workers. I used to let the governors run the cities as well. At some point I started wondering why there always seems to be some problems I would need to fix manually, and gave in for micromanagement.
I still do automate about half my workers around the time railroads come along - they can mostly handle that, and at that point all my core cities already have their tiles improved as they should, so I probably am not losing too much there.
At biology, I usually stop all worker automation and check through all cities in case the newfound food situation should be managed somehow, but after rearranging what needs to be (watermills, workshops, or emancipated cottages over some excess farms) I let most of them go back to doing whatever bored workers do (farm all flatland tiles that have no improvement on them, rail everything within cultural borders).

I would like to second the motion for Firaxis (or Blake, or whoever) to incorporate such a thing into future AI code!!

Top Bottom