Do anti-war protesters really care more about democracy than money?

Red Stranger

Emperor
Do anti-war protesters really care more about democracy than money? If so, why do they schedule protests to be on weekends? Obviously its so they can gather a lot of people on their day offs. But if they care about democracy more than money, they wouldn't need to wait until the weekend and should be able to do it any time.

Red Stranger said:
Do anti-war protesters really care more about democracy than money? If so, why do they schedule protests to be on weekends? Obviously its so they can gather a lot of people on their day offs. But if they care about democracy more than money, they wouldn't need to wait until the weekend and should be able to do it any time.

How is protesting on the weekends based on money? Protests only work if they draw media attention and have many people attend. The weekend is the best time to achieve both.

People have jobs. Plus, who would want to support (if they could get a permit) a protest that shut down a crucial part of a city on a workday?

Unlike what Rush Limbaugh would like you to believe, most protesters have jobs, attend school full-time, or both. Gathering large groups of people during a weekday would be completely impractical. It has nothing to do with the strength of their convictions.

Many people who protest have to survive during thw week, you know. Even if they are not satisfied with their lives or the system.

Exactly my point. If they believe Bush is the worst President ever, why is it that they can't even take a day off from their job to speak their mind? Why wait until the weekend? Obviously, they care more about their job than what they believe.

Or maybe they think, we can protest Thursday or Saturday. Which would be better?

Red Stranger said:
Exactly my point. If they believe Bush is the worst President ever, why is it that they can't even take a day off from their job to speak their mind? Why wait until the weekend? Obviously, they care more about their job than what they believe.
So what do you want them to do, lose their job so they can to go to a rally? What point is that supposed to make?

Its ok, you can just admit to us you don't like people excising their right to free speech. We won't laugh.

Red Stranger said:
Wouldn't they just create more enemies if someone just going to work had to take a huge detour because they parked themselves on Fifth Avenue or Pennsylvania Avenue or wherever? They're (supposedly) out to change other peoples' minds as well. Can't very well do that if you're preventing a lot of them from going to their jobs.

Kind of like someone in the subway shoving some pamphlet in your face as you're jogging for the 6 train at 5 PM.

I'm not sure where your stance that anti-war people don't care about money or their careers come from? Sure, there are tons of "anti-war, anti-money, anti-everything to be intellectually fashionable" poseurs, but I think they are ultimately in the minority (although they are often noticed a lot because they are so endlessly annoying)

I don't get it. If you can pick any day of the week to do a meeting or a protest, why would you pick a day that will annoy everybody over a day that will suit everybody ???

Annoying everyone won't advance your cause now, will it? You just want to annoy some people.

Anti-war protesting and democracy has nothing to do with one another.

No matter how hard those protesters protest, George W. Bush will still does whatever he wanted to do. There is nothing those protesters can do to boot George out of the office. In fact, booting George out of office is undemocratic. People chose to have the war, because they think gay issue and moral value outweight the war. By voting for Bush, they have agreed to support the war.

They still have the right to protest, especially if opinion shifts during the term. Doesn't necessarily have to be for kicking the president out (though a lot of them would love to see that).

Where I live there are reguler anti-war protests on weekdays they generally happen around 5 so people are off work and so people getting off work can see them-and by the way the general reaction around here supports the protesters-so I suppose you will quible about it happening after work:rolleyes: and I work on weekends so-i do take time away from work when i attend-i do think there should at some point be an attempt at a National strike day-the idea that we carry on as usueal when a war is going on and our people are dieing is a bit much to me-institute some of what people went through in WW II-rationing and so on-and then see how long the war goes on-:crazyeye: :cool:

Red Stranger said:
By what standard is taking time off work a measure of someone's dedication to any cause? By your rigorous definition of dedication, the people who took part in the Pentagon's pro-war, pro-Bush "Freedom Walk" on September 11 weren't really showing support for their position since it happened on a Sunday.

Following the same logic, NFL football fans aren't sincere since the games are played on Sundays. If they really cared, they'd take a day off work to go to the game.

If you don't like anti-war protestors, just say so. No need to make up absurd logical fallacies just to show they're not sincere. They are sincere; they just don't agree with you.

This thread doesn't make any sense.:sad:

Top Bottom