1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do any systems play on Huge map with no slowdown?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Tae, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Smidlee

Smidlee Deity

Not if you got 2GB of ram. Then the hard drive doesn't run at all.

2. PellaeonSZ

PellaeonSZ Chieftain

That's the jerkiness that pretty much everyone suffers. Of course when you're zoomed in completely, FPS will be good. But most people would actually prefer to play the game a little zoomed out.

If you want to see the slowdown, download FRAPS. I play my game at 1152 x 864. When the game (standard map w/8 civs) starts, I get appx 45 FPS. It later falls to arouns 28 FPS when some of the map is explored, then 21 FPS, then 14-17 when the whole map is visible. At 21 FPS you begin to notice some of the jerkiness.

System specs:

P4 2.4ghz HT

1 GB RAM

GeForce 6800 128 MB

3. Smidlee

Smidlee Deity

Exactly the same results here with Gf 7800gt. Around 21 fps the jerkiness sets in. when I'm zoom out to globel view my framerate drops to 4 FPS. ouch. (Blue marble mod)

4. kingjoshi

kingjoshi King

I don't know what frame rates I'm getting but besides long loading times on saved files, I think my machine has been running without problems. (though I've yet to play with the new patch...)

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. Pentium M 2Hz/2MB cache/533Mhz FSB. 2GB RAM. 128MB ATI's Mobility Radeon X300 PCI Express x16 Graphics card. 15.4" WUXGA. 1900x1200.

I tend to play on Huge maps with 18 civs. But I keep learning things and can't get myself to finish a game and haven't gone past 1860. Around then, the turns took longer (more cities for all the civs), but not real jerkiness as others have described.

My only problem is that I ordered a mouse but I accidently mailed it to a friend who I stayed with this summer. In a different state! So I've been stuck playing with the trackpad waiting for a mouse...

5. High_Elf_Lord-M

High_Elf_Lord-M Chieftain

im having probs might try the res:))

p4 2.8ht, Radeon 9200se 256mb, 756mb pc 333mhz ram!

6. Smidlee

Smidlee Deity

it seems the more powerful your graphic card is the more obvious the jerkiness is. the framerate varies a lot when scrolling these late huge map games. My framerate varies from 18 fps to 60 fps when scrolling. On my older pc with fx 5500 the framerate stays around 10 fps no matter what the settings are.

7. Xink

Xink King

I play at....
    1280x1024 with 2x AA
    All the Eye candy is on

I use...
    AMD Opteron 146 running at 10x280=2800mhz
    1GB of memory
    ATI GTO800 Flashed to an ATI850 and ran at XTPE speed

I play with a custom huge map with the time victory turned off. I will check to see what FPS that I get but I do know it plays very smooth with minimal delay in-between turns.

8. Smidlee

Smidlee Deity

Just as I thought. I have build-in AMD X200 express graphics on my motherboard so I used this instead of GF7800 gt. The jerkiness was gone because my framerate stayed close to 10 fps even in scrolling the map so it seems to be smoother than the 7800 card yet 7800 was actually getting better fps but not as steady.

9. Ravinhood

Ravinhood Warlord

My game runs flawlessly. On a mere 2.4ghz 1gig ram 5900 ultra GeForce Video card. Smooth as a babies behind. But, I keep my system clean and a hard-drive specifically for the OS and Virtual Memory only. This two hard-drive setup I made is the kits meow. 7200 rpm hard-drives Seagates. Between turns might take 5 seconds with 14 civs on a huge pangea map 80x60 to boot. I don't like water games, so very little navies running around.

Ain't no memory leaks, just think some of you guys got lemons for computers. Did you store buy them? Like Hewlett Packard and Dell and Compaq??? Ewwww if you did.

10. The End Is Nigh

The End Is Nigh Repent!!!

War makes the game slowdown. The more nations are at war, the more it takes per turn... Probably because there is too much unit movement by the AI.

Try to force peace between the warring parties and you'll see an immediate change in the length of the game.

11. Ravinhood

Ravinhood Warlord

I believe what I am seeing in manys complaints is they are using higher resolution settings as well. I tend to stick with 1024x768 and all my games run great. Try bumping back down to 1024x768. That's prehaps why my game runs as smooth as any other game because I don't push my system to the limits of drag or chop or lag or unplayable. Do I need to see that extra pixel of green dots? LOL nope. A lot of gameplay and frustration is wasted on trying to get max graphics when you should just try to get max gameplay then play around with the graphics settings.

Also what is your BIOS GRAPHICS pipe setting? is it 128mb or 256mb? This is in your BIOS settings, you do know how to access those correct?

A store bought system will normally have the 128mb graphics pipe setting and then you go an install a 256mb graphics card, guess what? It's gonna run at 128mb give or take some added mb because your card will try to push the extra memory usage.

12. smurfish

smurfish Chieftain

even if it's bottlenecked at the HDD, there's still ways to improve. for my case, i'm running SATA on 2 seagates 8MB cahce HDDs on RAID 0, think that improves access speed. my graphics isn't very high-end, juz a 6600 GT 128MB though I run 1GB ram on 3Ghz intel

13. EdCase

EdCase Defender of the Faithless

Actually.............

Now, while increasing the AGP aperture size beyond 128MB wouldn't really hurt performance, it would still be best to keep the aperture size to about 64MB-128MB so that the GART table won't become too large. As the amount of onboard RAM increases and texture compression becomes commonplace, there's less of a need for the AGP aperture size to increase beyond 64MB. So, it's recommended that you set the AGP Aperture Size to 64MB or at most, 128MB.

14. Xarlak

Xarlak Chieftain

Is it just me, or do most of the people complaining about slowdowns (and I get major slowdowns if I run with more than 7-9 civs) have lower RAM? I've only got 512MB, and the people that seem to have no problems also seem to be the ones with 1GB or more.

15. apostolos

apostolos Chieftain

Have a 4600 athlon dual core with 7800 gtx card and 1 gig ram , sata II hard disk . No slowdowns on large, have not played huge. Wait only 3 secs between turns max, where is says waiting for other civs. IS that normal ? How long do you wait??

16. Saint_Saturn

Saint_Saturn Chieftain

After the 1.09 patch and 81.95 nvidia drivers, I see no slow down at all, even on huge with all civs ingame, and map viewable.
    Current specs are:
    Athlon64 3000 (@2.32Ghz)
    2Gb ddr 4000 (dual-channel)
    BFG 6800GT OC (404Mhz/1.06Ghz)
    2x60Gb HDD (RAID0)

If, near the end of the game, I declare war on everything under the Sun (which I always do), the game will take about 2-3 seconds to end my turn, as it says it is 'waiting for other civ's' - I assume this is normal though.

17. Nambo

Nambo Chieftain

Well Ive got 2 GB of Kingstone RAM and I have problems around 1980, at war, on huge, the game sometimes becomes unplayable. I turn the computer off and reload which sometimes improves things for a while.

The rest of my system is 3.4 Pentium, Nvidia 5900 card, I use that computer purely for top games so XP is run fairly bare, no other programs or anti-virus stuff slowing it down.

To the guys that say "there must be something wrong with your computer", I wonder why so very many people who have this game have something wrong with thier computer, and why this computer problem we all have doesnt manifest itself in any of the countless other big grapic intensive games that are out?

18. Colossian

Colossian Prince

So many people don't understand what is the slowdown.
    Even they don't know what is the windows performance tuning.
    Simply they say that 1.09 patch is great!
    For me unfortunately 1.09 doesn't work well.
    Because my system is already tuned.

19. calyth

calyth /bin/sh of a man

georgedv: Try:
    • defragment the HD, especially if you haven't done it for a while
    • Set the swap file so that windows doesn't manage it, it's in Ctrl Panel -> System
    • check for system stability. Prime95 (google it) is a very sensitive tool to make sure that your system is rock stable. Odd crashes can be from instability.
    • Check that the AGP aperture isn't less than your video card's memory - I changed video card, and forgot to adjust, and my 6600GT behaved kinda like a Radeon 9000 until I fixed that setting - Some info on AGP aperture

This is the ideal case. Windows doesn't manage disk cache all that well. I know people who play World of Warcraft in Linux under Cedega that gets better framerates because a) the nVidia drivers are better in Linux, and b) WoW was supposedly bottlenecked at the HD, and Linux's disk cache management is better than Windows.
    As playing Huge maps, I haven't noticed huge lag so far, but both starting a huge map and loading it takes forever on a 2500+/1GB/6600GT/UDMA100 200GB 8MB computer. I didn't get 133 because I know that the UDMA 133 drive barely reach 50MB/s (no real benefit to choose between UDMA 133 and 100), so I picked a Seagate that had a good bit of cache and have a fast seek time. I heard that SATA drives gives a better data rate, but too bad I was too cheap to buy the card and the HD.
    Data density will help with speed somewhat because modern drives often cache the track/cylinder that it is reading. Laptop drives are going to be slower for loading maps, but it doesn't really thrash the HD when you're playing.

20. blacktoes

blacktoes Chieftain

I agree with some of the previous posts on the resolution the game is played at. I use 1024x768 and only have a second or so of slowdown at the end of a turn late in the game. I do not notice any choppyness when scrolling throughout the game. I'm going to try playing at a higher resolution to see if I experience the same problems as others seem to have. Here is my system config:

Pentium 4 3.0Ghz
    ATI X850PRO (with current drivers)
    1GB RAM (DDR2 677-mhz)
    120 GB ATA HD

Note: I hjust installed the latest game patch, so my previous experience is pre-patch.