Do Apostles have more 'spread religion' power than Missionaries?

Sherlock

Just one more turn...
They're so much more expensive I was wondering if when they 'spread religion' it has more power than when a missionary does it.

Also, for religious win you have to have your religion to 'dominant' in other Civs. They doesn't include City-States, right?

Yes, they have with the promotions they can get, like triple strength or killing off religious pressure. And you can spread religion by killing enemy missionaries and apostles with them, which is probably the most efficient way to spread religion.
No, City States don't count.

I believe Apostles remove other existing religions in a city to some extent, unlike missionaries, but their spread might be slightly less stronger than a missionary's. In some analyses in this forum, there's been suggestions that missionaries are better at spreading when theres few or none other followers in a city, and apostles are better when there are several other followers in a city.

Just got my first religious victory. Pretty easy conditions - >50% of each AI has to have your religion.

Isn't their Spread Ability inherently stronger. I think Missionaries have a standard of 200 and Apostles 220. or something like that.

What the MarshmallowBear said.

Apostles are 220 (promotions aside), and Missionaries are 200 or 180...? One or the other. If a unit is damaged that figure lowers.
Along with removing all non State religion in your own cities, I think an Inquisitor adds 150.

Apostles can spread religion by killing enemy religious units too. Killing enemy religious unit spread your religion 10 tiles away from the combat area, so that a HUGE boost to religious pressure on multiple cities. The last charge of a religious should be used to kill other units. Remember that apostle can only heal in cities and holy site. Also guru can heal nearby religious units so it better to make a guru heal 2-3 apostles that are camping another religion than to send them back to heal. Try not to let your apostles die unless you have martyr for the relics.Religious victory is the easiest one to go for on emperor difficult and below.

Apostles & Inquisitors. I try to keep as many around as I can on their last charge for that reason. Especially apostles with the +20 theological debate promotion.

Spread Religion is 2*religious power.

Apostle have a 110 power(missionary 100) so it spreads better religion.

Wounded units spread with a malus.

Remember that apostle can only heal in cities and holy site.
Wait, apostles can heal also in cities even without a holy site? I thought it had to be a holy site (directly on the tile or the 6 times around) and that the speed of healing depended on the faith yield of the holy site.

@Sherlock
Missionaries are better for converting cities that currently do not have religion.
Apostles are better at converting cities that do.
I have not tested in R&F but this has always been the case. I believe there was a slight buff to missionaries vs religious cities lately.

So the idea is to use both in a cost effective manner, send the missionaries to the outlying heathens and use the apostles for those that worship false gods.
Missionaries first in a missionary spam make the oppositions missionaries useless.

Last edited:
Wait, apostles can heal also in cities even without a holy site? I thought it had to be a holy site (directly on the tile or the 6 times around) and that the speed of healing depended on the faith yield of the holy site.

No. Only on or next to one of your own Holy Sites. Away from those, Guru charges are the only healing method.

@Sherlock
Missionaries are better for converting cities that currently do not have religion.
Apostles are better at converting cities that do.
I have not tested in R&F but this has always been the case. I believe there was a slight buff to missionaries vs religious cities lately.

So the idea is to use both in a cost effective manner, send the missionaries to the outlying heathens and use the apostles for those that worship false gods.
Missionaries first in a missionary spam make the oppositions missionaries useless.

I remember that being said in the past, but has you or someone else ever tested it Victoria?

I remember that being said in the past, but has you or someone else ever tested it Victoria?
Have you looked in my signature for religion?
I tend not to say things without having tested them. It was a long time ago and testing is not easy as there is no way in firetuner to pump religion into a city that is not your religion.

I will.
I've been using my ph for the last few hours so cannot see your signature atm.

I will.
I've been using my ph for the last few hours so cannot see your signature atm.
One must also consider the obvious that apostles are much more expensive
... and the less obvious
As cost goes up with each unit purchased, having a mix of the two is better than spamming apostles.

In essence a missionary is roughly as good as an apostle at converting heathens but very weak if there is a religion in the city. If you use apostles on heathens you are wasting your faith.

In essence a missionary is roughly as good as an apostle at converting heathens but very weak if there is a religion in the city. If you use apostles on heathens you are wasting your faith.

Lol, of course. I play that way...but hadn't put it in such good economic terms. :hatsoff:
Yes, from an economic POV missionaries are far better at tackling the faithless.

"@Browd can we lock this thread? Lots of out of date info and in a few days I'll make another" - @Victoria

Looks like we should do another thread on religion. And yes...by we I mostly mean you...so no pressure ;)

I was using Sukritact’s Simple UI adjustment mod. It tell you exactly how much pressure is in each city if you hover your mouse over the pie chart. I found out the following:

Missionaries add 200 pressure, and evicts 10% of all other religions per charge.

Apostles add 220 pressure (very slightly more), but evicts 20% of all other religions per charge.

This is before any promotions they may have.

Top Bottom