Do casual gamers watch these Live Streams?

Stringer1313

Emperor
What do you all think? What % of Firaxis LiveStream viewers are casual gamers, if any?

Edit: Sorry to clarify: I mean what % of the people watching *these specific LiveStream previews by Firaxis every Thursday leading up to release of Rise & Fall* are casual gamers?

Last edited:
I would hazard a guess that it is "not much". But I bet there is a generational component that cuts across a more precise answer.

It's unlikely, I don't think Civ is the most exciting game to watch streamed - when I've watched some let's plays just to pick up tips it's been at 2x speed.

But, I don't really watch let's plays in general, they don't really appeal to me. I'm sure I would've if they were a thing when I was younger though, given the amount of time I spent watching people play videogames in person ;)

I have never understood the appeal of watching someone else play, unless it was to get a glimpse of an unreleased game. Even then, not for long.

Also, what is the definition of “casual gamer” anyway? I work 50-60 hrs a week or so, 3-11pm shift, and four to five nights a week I play either Civ 6 or Rome 2, sometimes both (not concurrently) until 4 am. Single player only, and most nights I end up starting a new game. My chosen difficulty level is King - lower is no challenge, higher feels more like work than fun. So am I a “casual” player? :confused:

Not sure I can consider myself a casual gamer as I have over 1000 hours played. But I mostly play King (Prince with my new mods I have making it tougher). I do like watching Quill18's streams, I prefer the live streams, over Youtube, however. I don't mind watching someone else play, I've learned a lot this way.

I have never understood the appeal of watching someone else play, unless it was to get a glimpse of an unreleased game. Even then, not for long.

Also, what is the definition of “casual gamer” anyway? I work 50-60 hrs a week or so, 3-11pm shift, and four to five nights a week I play either Civ 6 or Rome 2, sometimes both (not concurrently) until 4 am. Single player only, and most nights I end up starting a new game. My chosen difficulty level is King - lower is no challenge, higher feels more like work than fun. So am I a “casual” player? :confused:
Honestly I always considered "casual gamer" to be a rather derogatory elitist term. I'm sure the OP didn't mean it that way though.

I feel like I must qualify as a casual gamer, but the fact that I'm on this forum probably suggests otherwise.

I feel like I must qualify as a casual gamer, but the fact that I'm on this forum probably suggests otherwise.
I feel like I must qualify as a casual gamer, but the fact that I'm on this forum probably suggests that I'm also a casual worker. (shhh, don't tell my boss)

I would say that I'd probably be considered to be casual, and I enjouy watching LP's, guess that's just my own tastes though.

Honestly I always considered "casual gamer" to be a rather derogatory elitist term. I'm sure the OP didn't mean it that way though.

Sorry I definitely didn't intend it to be derogatory. I consider myself on the casual side of the fanatic spectrum - i obsessively follow this forum and updates but my play style is really laidback and i almost never play harder than Emperor. I don't micromanage, use mods, create mods, etc.

I assume the answer is "near 0 watch them live".
Once they are posted on YouTube it goes up, but I suspect it's still a small percentage of non fanatics who watch more than half the duration. I wouldn't count anyone who posts here or has more than 200 hours in the game as "casual" for the purposes of answering this question.

No idea.. but there were 2.5k watching quill and about the same on other twitch previews. And there's 30k playing civ6 atm.. there's only about 600 on twitch atm. So roughly 12% watched games?

That's a horribly wrong computation.. someone fix that pls ;)

No idea.. but there were 2.5k watching quill and about the same on other twitch previews. And there's 30k playing civ6 atm.. there's only about 600 on twitch atm. So roughly 12% watched games?

That's a horribly wrong computation.. someone fix that pls ;)
Seems a fair enough figure to me.

I wouldn't think so... I'd consider myself more than a casual gamer and even I cannot justify watching someone else playing a game for hours at a time. Luckily I have a legion of Civfanatics to do that dirty work for me ;)

Also my answer. Can't justify watching someone else play, and the one time I tried, I got tilted off the planet with how much different the styles were, and how things that seemed obvious for me to do were totally ignored by the streamer.

Sorry I definitely didn't intend it to be derogatory. I consider myself on the casual side of the fanatic spectrum - i obsessively follow this forum and updates but my play style is really laidback and i almost never play harder than Emperor. I don't micromanage, use mods, create mods, etc.
Yeah I know you didn't. Sorry to make it sound that way.

Top Bottom