1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do friendly spies counter enemy missions?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by cleverhandle, Aug 4, 2009.

1. cleverhandle

cleverhandle King

Like the title says... does the presence of a friendly spy make enemy missions more difficult or more expensive? The Civilopedia kind of suggests it ("helps thwart rival spies" in the Spy description), but it doesn't mention anything about it in the detailed section on Espionage. Has anyone WB'd it to check? I'd check myself, but I'm in the middle of a war right now and don't want to reveal anything I shouldn't see.

2. Gorey

Gorey Prince

if your friend has a spy in your city... he's not sight seeing.

3. Gorey

Gorey Prince

duh

*slaps head*

when you say "friendly spy", do you mean your own spy?

4. Malachi256

Malachi256 Prince

I believe (not sure, though) that your own spies on your own soil just increase the chance of the enemy spy being caught.

I don't believe that they change any of the actual values for enemy spy missions.

5. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

If you have a spy of your own in the city it increases the chance of catching the enemy spy. The security bureau building also has this effect. They don't stack though - one spy or a security bureau in the city is the best defence you can get.

6. cleverhandle

cleverhandle King

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. Now that the war's over, I went ahead and verified it with WB as well. So yeah... no point in paying for spies once you've got a Bureau apart from the ones that will actually perform missions.

edit: ...or camp on valuable resources.