1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do giant lakes count as coasts?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by stebbinsd, Oct 20, 2015.

1. stebbinsd

stebbinsd Chieftain

I have the Great Lighthouse in my current game. I also have the Colossus. So, my coastal cities are commerce juggernauts.

Well, take a look at this screenshot:

If I declared war on Mongolia and subsequently conquered Karakorum, would that city get the +2 trade routes?

2. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

yes, although it appears you are playing some kind of mod. I think it is 9 tiles that makes a lake into an ocean or sea type body of water, allowing for a lighthouse. It appears Krak already has a lighthouse.

3. Tatran

Tatran Deity

:confused: Do you know/see something, I don't ?

4. Testhero

Testhero Warlord

If you zoom in on Karakorum you should be able to see the lighthouse in the Lake. You might have to move the view angle around. I can't see your screenshot to say for sure.
    God Emperor answered this question not so long ago in the newbie thread. All praise and spice to him:
    There is also a size requirement for the body of water in order to build various things
    Any body of water under 10 plots in size is a freshwater lake and you can not build much of anything for such a small body of water (which is not so small).
    There is also a size 20 requirement for some things.
    This makes seas of size 10-19 be in a sort of indeterminate zone where you can build some things but not everything.
    A lighthouse (or Viking Trading Post, Carthaginian Cothon) only requires 10, a Customs House (or Portuguese Feitora) also needs only 10
    The Great Lighthouse needs 10, as do The Colossus and Moai Statues
    A drydock requires 20
    Ships (galley, trireme, etc.) need size 20. Except Workboats which have no specific size requirement but are the only unit with the "bPrereqBonuses" flag set so you should not be able to build them if the body of water has no resources in it.
    That may or may not clear things up...

5. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

yeah, Testero said what I was saying much better. In the screenshot (which I got to by pulling the link out), you see 3F on the seafood tiles next to Krak. However, it appears OP is playing a special modpack (all the water tiles have hammers), so not sure if that extra food some change made by the mod or from a lighthouse. I'm assuming it is a lighthouse.

6. Tatran

Tatran Deity

And that's the real problem. The screenshot doesn't show up.
    Probably because the file is too big. So, only empty spaces and no link.

On-topic. Karakorum has a lighthouse, small icon and the clam tile has +3 food.
    I would be surprised when the city won't get extra trade routes from the Great Lighthouse wonder.

Spoiler :

7. Testhero

Testhero Warlord

All credit for my reply belongs to god emperor I am just recycling the wisdom I received.

Stebbinsd;
    It looks like You have some great opportunities to build a Canal city Below Canterbury And another above the Rice, Pigs and Dye East of Sanchu to really open up the continent. while blocking off your opponents.