Do i have a chance of winning this game?

Sun_TzU154

Chieftain
I decided play a game as Asoka of India on monarch. I got off to a pretty good start until Brennus declared war on me early on. I managed to wall off his pathetic attack and started marching into his lands. I was able to cap him and recover me economy. I decided to attack Bismark next but I had to pound him pretty hard to finally cap him.

I am at the point now where I'm not sure if I can win. It is 1854 AD, Joao just finished the U.N, The Ottomans completed the Apollo program and Pericles is pursuing culture.

Thankfully i have two vassals, Mining Inc, production and land on my side. I'm just not sure if i should try and catch up in tech and build a spaceship, or build an army and continue my conquest of the world.

I uploaded my save and a few screenshots. Hopefully someone with good experience at this game can help me.

Attachments

• do i have a chance of winning.CivBeyondSwordSave
    456.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 81
  • Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Civ4ScreenShot0018.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0018.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 53
You can still win, it's just a question of whether or not you want to take the time to do it. I wouldn't bother pursuing the Space Race though. Investing the same hammers into an army gives you multiple paths to victory, and also gives you a chance to thwart more than one opponent. Not sure if you have industrialization yet. I'd start spamming infantry and get nukes up and running ASAP. Once you have nukes, you'll be able to cap people pretty quickly, and either collect enough votes to get a diplo win or just cap everyone and win by conquest.

WTH is this "do I have a chance" nonsense? This game is over. You won. Just use your (runaway) lead in production to spam out units and make EVERYONE your vassal. You can probably do it quickly enough that you don't even have to worry about the culture win, much less space.

You can just tech arty and spam out 5 xp arty + whatever (probably infantry) and just mow stacks + chain capitulations until you win.

Start with Joao so that he doesn't get mechinf before you attack (and so that you can direct his tech so it's impossible for him to win space). Then go with whatever order you like, but prefer closer targets unless you realllly fear that culture win (in which case just go striaght there).

Thanks for the advice. I have Industrialized. I am just a few techs away form being able to nuke the world. Ill give it try

Start with Joao so that he doesn't get mechinf before you attack (and so that you can direct his tech so it's impossible for him to win space). Then go with whatever order you like, but prefer closer targets unless you realllly fear that culture win (in which case just go striaght there).
Lol. I Just played about three turns and Joao declared war on me anyways. Unfortunately hes got an island all to him self so any invasion will need a few transports. Guess I got my work cut out for me:lol:

you are dominating. Did you fall behind while trying to capitulate the 2 vassals you got? Usually rolling over 2 AI is kind of the turning point, but here you fell behind a bit too much imo. maybe it dragged on and slowed you down. Even though you are behind in tech quite considerably for monarch, it's not that bad. Monarch AIs are kinda slow so its not too hard to catch up.

You dont have to worry about Space/Culture victory for awhile so it seems like you can pursue anything at this point if you commit to it. And I doubt anyone other than you is a realistic candidate for UN.

i capped joao. It is now 1918 and i have 64 tanks and a few bombers to roll over china. i have control over the UN. I decided to ban nukes because I don't enjoy desert fairy magic:thumbsdown: and dont have ecology yet to clean up if i take a nuking.
@NetGear: I think the reason i got behind is because the war with brennus dragged on. I am a Noble/Prince level player trying to move up to monarch.

first thing i noticed when loading your save was the big red fist on joao's name. :D So he's been plotting on you for some time most likley. Had you been using BUG mod it would have helped you with these things. Highly recommended.

Also your vassal is researching the same thing. And you have some stray old techs like divine right you can pick up for basically free if you tell them to research it. And make sure to keep them on a path that can benefit you.

I noticed you also have too little workers. 7 IIRC. And some tiles are still jungled and forest chopped for some hammer. Also your city should be specialized better but thats an advice that applies to everyone at that level so I wont try to beat the dead horse right now.

How long did it take you to cap Joao? Did he fold quickly after you capped about 2 of his cities? How hard was it to invade his island? Otherwise time spent on him couldve been used elsewhere while playing defensive and suing for peace. But at least you got him now and dont have to worry about it no more. Should be downhill from there. you're passed noble/prince already.

Yes the BUG mod would have been nice. I uninstalled it because i was trying to do a hot seat with my friend but it kept crashing. We thought the BUG mod might be the cause but it wasn't. Anyways thats a conversation for another thread.[offtopic]

I wasn't surprised by Joao's DOW because of an earlier war with him. I probably spent too much time on him though. I would guess i spent around 50-60 turns on him. It was really about four cities to cap him because he took 2 cities from brennus which i immediately took back. When he declared he had Industrialism while i was still a few turns away from it. I spent alot of time building up tanks and transports after i finished industrialism. His island defense was quite weak. I took the first city with not much trouble. He sent a few counter-attack waves but i walled them off pretty well. Landed some more tanks and pushed on. Took 2 more cities and capped him.

I probably should have gone for china first but that doesn't matter now. as soon as i capped joao, i quickly rushed toward china. I managed to cap china very quickly. didn't waste anytime declaring war on the Ottomans next. unfortunately he got so far ahead, he's now using mechinf and Modern armour :wallbash: . I am not too worried though. I have a MASSIVE stack of tanks. That along with my four vassals should be enough to defeat the ottomans and move onto the next Ai. :spear:

Thanks again for the advice

Top Bottom