do i need markets/banks etc

loydoy

Chieftain
hi i dont usually build banks and so on as i usually have most of my slider on research or culture but i dont know how to look at code so am i right in thinking that they only affect the slider amount or do they influence the total before it gets divided up sorry if this seems a stupid question but its a niiggling doubt

If you don't want to put your city to gold production you should not build markets and banks. It is not worth it. A market bank yields 2-3 gold per turn on its own but it only yields OK amount of gold if you put your city to gold production. Exactly the same goes for libraries/universities, i.e. if you have your city on gold instead of science don't bother building them.

However, in CivRev it is way too important to have gold for rushing buildings and units not to have a single city put on gold, so I urge you to revise your strategy and always have at least one city put to gold. And that city should be in an area of desert or water to yield a lot of trade.

I think you may need to be in the Civ IV forum.

Civ Rev doesn't have sliders, or the ability to switch trade to culture.

Apolex, you are right. It is probably a Civ4 Q, since he mentions sliders. However, I hope someone got something out of my answer. :)

In response to Hertsh, since the OP was not CivRev.

Late game there is good reason to build them, if you have any of the per city gold bonuses, that is, even if the city is set to beakers you still get that gold, and it still gets multiplied by markets and banks. Also something like gems or gold would get that bonus, but those are typically better suited to a gold city.

In response to Hertsh, since the OP was not CivRev.

Late game there is good reason to build them, if you have any of the per city gold bonuses, that is, even if the city is set to beakers you still get that gold, and it still gets multiplied by markets and banks. Also something like gems or gold would get that bonus, but those are typically better suited to a gold city.

Yes, you are right. You should never say never. There is always a situation when it is OK to invest in something, given that other things to build will not give you a higher yield than the bank, e.g., a tank/artillery/spy/caravan. However, as a rule of thumb: Specialize and ignore improvements not direclty supporting that specialization.

Top Bottom