1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do I need religion buildings with no religion?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by cephalo, Oct 26, 2016.

1. cephalo

cephalo Deity

In my first two games, I have totally missed out on getting a religion. All of them were doled out before I could get a shrine up. There's probably a lot I don't know about getting a religion.

Anyway, once it's decided that I will have no religion, do I need holy sites and temples for anything? Does having a lot of faith do any good at all? In my first game, I had like 5000 faith sitting around, and all I did was buy a naturalist.

2. Roxlimn

Roxlimn Deity

Buy Great People.

3. Qin Shi Hung

Qin Shi Hung Chieftain

As you all said, to buy naturalists and great people.

Also to buy faith buildings if an invading religion has them, or to spread an invading religion that you like.

4. control740

control740 Chieftain

Another thing to note of why you might want religious buildings: some civs have agendas that value you producing religion. So it can have some value in diplomacy.

5. cephalo

cephalo Deity

I'm going to rephrase the question: If I'm going for a science victory, what do I need to know about the religious victory? If someone else is going for a religious victory, do I have to fight against that religion?

6. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

you might need to, they need to convert all the civs to it, usually the other civs that founded a religion will hold out better, but you might need to use your faith to convert yourself from one religion back into another...but that requires that the Other religion is present in your civ.

7. Windscion

Windscion Chieftain Supporter

I have found religion very useful -- my faith points can buy a lot of city square improvements dirt cheap I think granaries were like 120 points. 1000 points buys granary/ancient walls/something else for 2 new cities. Thats a LOT of cash and time saved for a moderate investment in the early game. (And if you are suzerain of the city state that gives your builders tha ability to create Collosal Heads, you can produce a 3 or more +2 faith boulders with one builder.)

Also, and this was a surprise to me, you can spend faith points to grab great people. Look at the great people tab. Below each GP are two buttons, one for cash and one for faith. The cost reflects how many GP points you are shy of grabbing that person -- 1000 points might be enough to snatch the engineer or scientist you need! And I would rather spend faith than cash if I have any choice.

Also, check out the faith buy in cities with imported religion. That religion might have a useful building -- boosting food, science, culture or even having slots for great works, altho obviously that's not your key concern.

In sum, religion can be a significant boost to your economy without trying too hard. And science victory requires way too much building for you to neglect your economy.

8. cephalo

cephalo Deity

I didn't know you could buy buildings with faith lol. Every time I look at the faith build list there's nothing in it until a naturalist becomes available.

9. CrimsonEdge

CrimsonEdge Warlord

I'll give you an example from my first science victory.

I dominate a continent, own every city, have tons of +science a turn. Islam takes over the other continent (3/4 other civs have it). If Islam took over my civ, I would have lost.

When he started sending stuff to my continent, I declared war and instantly killed his religious units. I stayed at war for, about, 150 turns.

Alternatively you can try to counter his religious units with yours but your units will probably lose. It can be a good idea to have several religions spread in your territory.

10. Windscion

Windscion Chieftain Supporter

I should probably explain that the faith-specific buildings (with extra science/culture/food) require a shrine and a temple before they can be built.