1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do I need Steam online when I play to record achievements?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Kyroshill, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

I play in offline mode as a rule.... but I just finished a game with a win (Time if you can believe it... I started alone on a continent) plus threw around a few nukes :nuke:...

So I should have achievements for "Continents," "Monty," plus map size and level as well as "I Can Has Nukes?" but none of them registered....

Only thing I can think is that I played in offline mode.... ideas?

2. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

Yeah, you have to be online for Steam to register achievements.

3. stormerne

stormerne is just a Retired Moderator

Yes that would do it! The game notices locally (on your PC) that you've got the achievement, but it appears to need to communicate with the Steam server for it to register on your Steam profile. It seems that the pop-up is from Steam, not directly from the game.

So how to fix? Take a mid-game save just prior to your getting the achievement and play it online. Everything except "I Can Has Nukes?" should be playable from a just-prior-to-winning save. "I Can Has Nukes?" will need to be played just before you drop a nuke. (The game, and Steam, has to see you make the achievement; it won't work in retrospect.)

4. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

That's a good idea... I do have a save game from just before that final war that I started 8 turns before 500 just to drop some nukes to see what the animation was like (pretty cool.... even in DX9)....

I'll give it a try later then.... thanks :goodjob:

5. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

6. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

As said you have to be online for the achievements to be registered, but (although I'm not sure about this) I've heard that Steam can record them when offline and updates your achievements when you go back online.

7. kendo3

kendo3 Chieftain

I thought this too but doesn't appear to be the case. I turned steam off for a couple of games and have since turned it back on. none of the accomplishments achieved in the two games off-line have been recorded

8. kendo3

kendo3 Chieftain

I could be wrong in this comment. just learned of another twist to getting credit for steam achievements. you cannot be running any mods, even something that doesn't change actual game play, like some of the mods that add a clock to the screen or change the way the UI displays certain things.

9. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Yep this has been known since people started playing, mods disable the achievements. Though this depends on the game/developer though, as afaik you can still get achievements in Fallout: New Vegas while using mods (it also uses Steamworks).