Do I want Windows 10?

Zkribbler

Deity
Alas, my laptop is dying. It has Windows 7.

I am comfortable with Windows 7, and I remember the fiasco of Windows 8.

All the new laptops have Window 10, but with some effort I can have Windows 7 installed.

Should I stick with Windows 7, or should I man up and make the leap to Windows 10?

I'd personally hold off on it. Windows 10 is better than 8 but worse than 7 IMO. This OS frustrates me more than Vista ever did.

No. But you really don't have a damned thing to say in the matter, either.

I recently bought a Win 10 Home laptop. The specs are not *that* much better than my old Win 7 Pro laptop, but the old one won't play Civ 6 and the new one will -- at least it did until I put the 1702 (?) Windows build on and that broke the game. So I rolled it back and Civ works again. I can probably fix Civ with the latest Intel video driver but I haven't tried that yet. The tricky part is keeping MS from installing the new build automatically (set the wifi to "metered connection")

You might have trouble with drivers for old devices, like scanners and printers. I have a Sharp multifunction printer that Sharp only grudgingly admits that they ever made. They don't have a Windows 10 driver. The Win 7 driver should work, but it won't install. I get around that by sharing the printer from a Win 7 desktop.

The start window on 10 is annoying, but you get used to it, as long as you have the desktop setup not in "tablet" mode. I don't remember what they call the other mode. Laptops often autoconfigure to tablet mode, but mine didn't (probably cuz it doesn't have a touch screen)

I like my new laptop (Acer A515-51) in spite of Win 10 and may retire my old one. The buttonless mouse was the hardest part to get used to; that's probably an Acer thing rather than a Windows thing. Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
The start window on 10 is annoying, but you get used to it, as long as you have the desktop setup not in "tablet" mode. I don't remember what they call the other mode. Laptops often autoconfigure to tablet mode, but mine didn't (probably cuz it doesn't have a touch screen)

Get something called "StartIsBack". It's very cheap and it gives you the old start menu back.

I'd probably hate Windows 10 a whole lot more if that program stops working and I'm forced into using the weird menu Microsoft thinks is neat and hip.

Why does everyone hate on WIndows 8 so much? I love it. In fact, I'm looking to upgrade my gaming laptop and I found one at my local Best Buy that has what I want AND still comes with Windows 8.1.

I used to run windows 7 at home and work, and then we were upgraded to windows 10 at work. And I didn't really notice much of a difference, so I eventually upgraded to 10 at home too. I have 0 problems with it as an operating system, although it is obviously not ideal in all ways, since it's an operating system designed for morons after all i.e. the lowest common denominator

I didn't like windows 8 much, it didn't seem as intuitive, it seemed to be designed for tablets and not desktop or laptop computers, and it didn't look and feel as good. But that's just my own personal opinion. After migrating to 10 I am a lot happier than I was under 8 (I had it on my laptop for a while)

Newer is better.

If you don't want the newest Windows, might as well hurry up and switch to Linux or macOS.

I use Windows, macOS and Arch Linux on a daily basis. (Most recent versions, obviously.) Really, they're all pretty great.

Why does everyone hate on WIndows 8 so much? I love it. In fact, I'm looking to upgrade my gaming laptop and I found one at my local Best Buy that has what I want AND still comes with Windows 8.1.

People don't like change. That's pretty much the entire reason. And a bit of mob mentality where people don't reason for themselves.

It can be hard to get your hands on, but it's really worth the effort to track down Windows 9.

Perfect security--because nobody has created viruses for it.
All the stuff you hate about Windows operating systems? Utterly absent in this incarnation.
If you can imagine it, it can do it--exactly the way you imagine it.
All of its workings--as transparent as an actual window.

Really, in all ways, the superior version of Windows.

I don't know. It's a very divisive OS. Personally, I miss some of the Windows 8 improvements when I use Windows 7 at work, and would thus miss than in 7 vs 10 as well. But, I also haven't switched to 10 from 8 due to some of the controversial aspects of 10 (updates, privacy, telemetry) that are not in 7 either, or can be better configured in 7.

Relevant to this site though: Windows 10 does not support disc-based installs of Civ3, due to not supporting the DRM those discs use. Windows 7 and 8.1 patches disable that support as well, but in 7/8.1, you can skip those patches (which is what I've done). There's no way to not have them in 10.

I like Windows 8 too, and am running 8.1. The Start Screen was the biggest learning curve since 95, and I couldn't figure out how to shut down without the command line in 8.0 (8.1 fixed that), but now that I've become used to it, I prefer it. Nice big shortcuts for my most-used programs on the Start Screen, as many as I please and right where I want them to be, is much more convenient than the small Start menu of 7, and better than the small Start foldout of 10 as well. I also really like that there aren't going to be auto-installs of incremental Windows versions (Fall Creators update, etc.) or drivers that break the software I'm running, like there may well be with 10.

What'd you find that still has 8.1? My laptops are pretty ancient, and I've also been debating updating my desktop. Haven't yet though, in no small part because AMD's Ryzen does not officially support Windows 8.1

Top Bottom