1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do mid and modern era units need Iron Resource?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by rschissler, May 9, 2018.

1. rschissler

rschissler King

I'm past the ancient era and still don't have any iron in my empire, and am wondering if I should even bother settling on a crap area, just to get some. I know knights require it, but are there other units in the mid to modern eras that do?

Also, since knights upgrade to tanks, does that mean that tanks also need iron, or do they just need oil?

2. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter King

Tanks require oil only. Look to the deserts or better yet, tundra areas.

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Only Swordsmen and Knights require Iron. So if neither of these are important to you, then feel free trying to let it be.

Also, note that you can trade for Iron or get it from suzeraining Hattusa. You could also conquer a city with Iron.

4. rschissler

rschissler King

Wow, that's amazing that it's only those two units. And all this time I thought it was an important resource to have.

5. liv

liv Emperor

Well the problem is that knights are the most powerful units to have [ corrected by subsequent posters: you cannot upgrade your warriors to muskets without iron]. So it is a major problem. As it is I probably rarely hardbuild anything in later eras everything gets upgrades and so not having iron is a major you know what :)

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  6. Rosty K

Rosty K King

I was under the impression that Frigate needs iron. Or was it in Civ5?

7. King Rad

King Rad Warlord

I thought in my last game that I did upgrade from warrior to musket without going thru iron. I know for the longest I had neither, and then I did start making knights once I got some, but only after I had started making muskets.

liv likes this.
  8. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

That was Civ V.

9. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

You just need niter to upgrade warriors; I don't get iron sometimes.

But yea as to the thread, once you past knights, you don't need iron at all; can just sell it to a buddy.

liv likes this.
  10. liv

liv Emperor

OK thanks about the correction. I am probably mixing it up with the issue that you can no longer build warriors when you muskets and only have one niter (but if you had iron you could build swords)

11. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

The required resource system in Civ 6 makes very little sense.

12. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

It appears designed to provide some randomness: some games you'll have Iron, some games you won't. Some games you'll have Nitre and can have Musketmen, other games you'll need to wait (until the secret of gunpowder is presumably better known) before arming your military with firearms.

Best not to think too much about the specific requirements (what are Knights riding on if you don't have horses?)

13. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

One of Magnus' promotions also provides missing strategic resources.

CPWimmer likes this.