1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do natural wonders count as mountains?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by OmniPotent42, Jul 18, 2012.

1. OmniPotent42

OmniPotent42 King

I was just wondering if Mt. Fiji, Sri Pada, Mt. Sinai, or Mt. Kailash count as mountains that you would need to build Machu Pichu or observatories.

2. mike1117112

mike1117112 Chieftain

I know they work for observatories, not sure of Wonders.

3. oPlaiD

oPlaiD Chieftain

I had the one that gives you 10GP per turn two tiles away from my city and I could not build Macchu Picchu in that city until I bought an actual Mountain tile.

Then when Macchu Picchu was finished, it appeared on top of the Natural Wonder!

The game has a bit of schizophrenia concerning this, it seems.

4. Malachi256

Malachi256 Prince

They work for observatories, but not for wonders. I filed a bug report about it a while back.

5. Liex

Liex King

The Natural Wonders that don't work for Observatories are the El Dorado, Fountain of Youth, Great Barrier Reef (which is expected) and the Rock of Gibraltar. No NW works for Machu Picchu or the Neuschwanstein.

6. slobberinbear

slobberinbear Ursine Skald

This is incorrect. I played a game where I built Machu Picchu on Cerro de Potosi.

7. Liex

Liex King

Are you sure there wasn't any other Mountain nearby? The Cerro de Potosi and most other Natural Wonders are Mountains, technically, so Machu Picchu can end up on their top. But that doesn't mean you'd be allowed to build Machu Picchu if there wasn't an actual Mountain near your city.

8. JanghanHong

JanghanHong Enrico Trololo

For clarification, it's physically impossible to build a city right next to Gibraltar and the Barrier Reef, however, you can totally build machu pichu on the mountain that appears along with Gibraltar, looks totally chic too.

9. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Speaking of the mountain next to Gibraltar, does anyone else actually see a mountain? I always get a partly tan/partly gray flat tile that is impassabale. I think it might be a glitch with my graphics if I'm the only one.

10. HeraldtheGreat

HeraldtheGreat King

If certain natural wonders are treated as mountains, could Carthage cross it?:confused:

11. wobuffet

wobuffet Barbarian

If I recall correctly from some XML digging I did earlier, I'm pretty sure all Natural Wonders are explicitly tagged as impassable. So I surmise not.

12. FeiLing

FeiLing Deity

Crossed and parked a helicopter gunship yesterday on top of Uluru.
    So natural wonders seems np - I don't think they can cross El Dorado, FoY and Great Barrier Reef.
    Now... wondering about the flat Mountain tile coupled with the Rock of Gibraltar...

edit) Sri Pada does not enable you to build Neuschwanstein :(

13. Uzumati

Uzumati Chieftain

Same thing here. It totally happens.

14. Uzumati

Uzumati Chieftain

Had FOY 6 tiles from my cap one game. Made a point to have a gunship parked on it as a sign of my invincibility! Best Persian warmongering game ever. UU ability for all units lol.

15. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

No, I as well get this, probably 95% of the time. I have seen it correctly a few times, but usualy it as as you describe.

16. MisterSaturnine

MisterSaturnine Warlord

Same here. It's a bummer. Mountains are so pretty.

17. Koiranputki

Koiranputki Prince

In one recent game as Isabella ...G&K King level... I managed to get the FOY into one of my cities...quite a boost...from 2-happiness, I jumped up to 22 in one turn....but the city was a bit of stretch...too far away...it turned the nearby civ...Kamehamaha..from a wonder spammer into a war-monger...;) I was able to hold off his constant rush attacks, but he stopped building wonders and it kind of wrecked my long term plan to capture his main city...it just wasn't that interesting anymore.

And I eventually gave up on that game after I was "scooped" on Machu Picchu in another city that I had set up for that purpose. That city became essentially useless and the game was getting tedious. I was getting scooped on just about all of my favourite wonders ...:lol:

18. scheva007

scheva007 Prince

I builded Machu Pichu on mt Fuji once :p

Spoiler :

19. OmniPotent42

OmniPotent42 King

How DARE you vandalize a natural wonder with a world wonder!

20. mintcandy

mintcandy King

I can't speak for the purposes of Natural Wonders counting as a mountain for the purposes of World Wonders that require mountains, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the Fountain of Youth counts as a mountain for the purposes of the Inca Terrace Farm.