Do our beliefs shape us, or do we shape our beliefs?

galdre

Emperor
a couple quotes from Migual de Unamuno, which are what inspired this post

"…our ethical and philosophical doctrines in general are no more than a posteriori justifications of our conduct, of our actions. Our doctrines are usually the means by which we seek to explain and justify to others and to ourselves our own mode of action – to ourselves, be it noted, as well as to others."

"For if a man should tell you that he does not defraud or ****old his best friend because he fears hellfire, you may depend upon it that he would not do so even if he stopped believing in hell, but would instead invent some other excuse for not transgressing."

Do people simply shape their beliefs to fit how they want to act?

how about both? :confused:

It's a dynamic, but I would wager more people are owned by their beliefs than the other way around.

I agree

although I think we shape our beliefs more than they shape us
I think that's a good empowered attitude to have regardless of it's absolute truth.

If you have that belief it's likely you'll be more likely better adapt than someone who doesn't. Of course, you have to acknowledge your habitual thoughts & actions & analyze whether they are really useful. I find myself doing that often in relationships with my daughter & her mother. I see that many ways I learned with dealing with my own family & people growing up are maladapted to raising a child or dealing with a woman who grow up in a vastly different emotional landscape.

Yes. Though that's not the whole story. People can also refuse to act in ways that might cause a reevaluation of beliefs. Beliefs that come from dogma are particularly prone to this and there's always a danger of narrowness of thinking that excludes new ideas. By contrast, beliefs based on heuristics allow for reevaluation with new life experience.

A circle has no beginning. :old:

I shape my own beliefs (This is in regards to political beliefs).

Most people mostly shape their beliefs around their actions.

It seems that the philosophy of ethics is based on this concept, since philosophers base their ideas on intuition and then try to explain these 'facts'.
I try my best to do the opposite, but I do struggle when either an inconsistency in my thought is raised in an aggressive (and triumphal) manner, when I am even less tempted to admit error than when I'm right, or when things become very inconvenient, such as if my behaviour would stand out hugely, when I do feel a social pressure as well.

Nonetheless, I think that I do a far better job of following principles that I've thought about than most people.

Ahh the old nature vs nurture question.

I think both have an influence on the mindset of a person there are too many factors from each side to easily say which has more of an influence.

For the great ignorant mass of humanity, beliefs are merely the justifications for behavior, which is likely molded by societal pressures outside of merely what's good or bad. Most people also do not question these beliefs or actions except in very extreme circumstances. But for a small fraction of the human race that actually ponders these matters frequently, and is open-minded, their actions and beliefs in them may change with time.

but do people, for example, tell themselves that "this is the way it's always been" because they want to stick with the status quo?

I would say that, in general, that other people shape our initial belief structure (namely parents, other family, friends, public figures, largely in that order) when we are young. Which then shape us, while internal and continuing external forces mold our beliefs around the historic core.

There are plenty of people that completely change their beliefs, but I would guess that most tend to follow that pattern.

Your question does lack the external forces which shape both us and our beliefs and I would say is more important than any internal forces as they shape our core as children.

Top Bottom