Do Pantheon Beliefs Spread Like Follower Beliefs?

steveg700

Deity
I'm not sure I've played a game since G&K yet where I didn't wind up founding a religion, so I haven't learned for myself, but I've been told that pantheon beliefs spread to foreign cities along with follower beliefs. True?

I believe so. I think only the Founder Belief benefits the founder exclusively, but I'm not sure whether the enhancer belief is shared or not.

No the pantheon is only for your civ it's like the founder not the follower it affects only your civ.

When u found a religion, pantheon becomes a part of it just like a follower belief. So when u spread ur religion to foreign cities, their pantheon will be replaced by ur religion (pantheon + follower + enhancer beliefs).

When u found a religion, pantheon becomes a part of it just like a follower belief. So when u spread ur religion to foreign cities, their pantheon will be replaced by ur religion (pantheon + follower + enhancer beliefs).
I am sorry but you are mistaken it only is for your civ only much like the founder belief.

Does anyone have any proof either way?

As Japan I'm really wanting to take Faith Healers to protect my expansive empire until Steel. However if they spread this will pretty much mean disaster when my samurai start to take over the world.

Anyone who has had a foreign religion spread to their city should know...

I am sorry but you are mistaken it only is for your civ only much like the founder belief.

I'll have to fire up a game later to test for this, because I know that when one of my cities is converted to another religion I lose my pantheon belief (even when it was part of my own religion). I've never left the city converted long enough to really check and see if the opposing religion's pantheon is working, but it wouldn't make much sense to take the pantheons out of the game entirely for any civ that isn't able to maintain its own religion in its cities.

You know, I'm quite curious now. I had assumed that Pantheons were tied to your religion and spread with it, but could anyone clarify a few things.

If I found a pantheon, how does it spread to my cities? Can it be usurped by a foreign pantheon? Is it tied to my religious spead power in some way? If the little lightning bolt pantheon symbol isn't below my city, is it getting the pantheon benefits or not?

no idea how your pantheon spreads, but it just naturally does on its own. it cant be usurped by a foreign pantheon (eta: only be religion) . your civs pantheon spreads much faster than religion. no lightning bolt symbol means no pantheon followers

yeah when you spread your religion, it spreads the benefit of your pantheon. so say you have stone circles pantheon as the base of your religion, every city that converts will benefit from the +2 faith per quarry. also, this includes other civ cities, and vice versa.

with that in mind, it can be quite worth it to ignore religion entirely and let your neighbor do all the spiritual work for you

I was playing a game where I conquered Egypt who had desert Folklore. And guess what? Even though it wasn't my pantheon I didn't purge their religion (Islam) and those puppeted cities still got faith from desert.

So even though they were wiped out, I was getting the Bonus. I think it gets tied to the religion.

That's lame. They told us the pantheon do not cross borders and guess what ... it was all a lie ! They did not care to clarify even after G&K release. This kind of bad behaviour is somewhat getting on my nerves !

But pantheons don't cross borders... in Cucumatz's example, a) the Egypt's pantheon was now part of a religion, which does cross borders, and b) he's talking about the Egyptian cities he conquered, not his own.

It would be really nice if Firaxis was more clear about how the system worked, though. It's not clear exactly how the Pantheon beliefs behave after a religion is founded... whether a foreign religion will replace your pantheon belief with theirs.

So it appears to me that

When you found a pantheon it automatically spreads to all of your cities and will be present in any new ones - this is certainly what has happened in my current game.

Pantheons on their own do not spread to foreign cities - the fact that there is no distinction given to each seperate pantheon on the hover tooltip would suggest this, and I've yet to see otherwise.

When a religion is founded pantheons become part of that religion, and spread along with it, replacing any other pantheons that may be present - again assumed rather than proven.

Bearing in mind the above, it may be best to pick pantheons such as faith warriors with extreme care, as should you then go on to form a religion, and have it spread to your rivals, you'll find them benefitting from the 30HP per turn. Not good as a warmonger.

I got a question about religion. When a foreign religion comes to your cities and you cannot produce a religion on your own. Will the foreign religion benefit you in some way or is it only the founder that got benefits?

Thanks!

Sorry to burst ur bubble, but u r mistaken. Check this thread :-

forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=469130&highlight=god+war

This proves that pantheon becomes a PART of religion once u found it so if cities have different religions then one might get faith from deserts while other may get culture from pastures etc.

It would be really nice if Firaxis was more clear about how the system worked, though. It's not clear exactly how the Pantheon beliefs behave after a religion is founded... whether a foreign religion will replace your pantheon belief with theirs.
Check the link I just mentioned in this post.

I got a question about religion. When a foreign religion comes to your cities and you cannot produce a religion on your own. Will the foreign religion benefit you in some way or is it only the founder that got benefits?

Thanks!

Only founder belief is founder exclusive. The rest of the beliefs will benefit u as well. So for example u might not get happiness from cermonial burial (founder belief) from other civilization's religion but u will be able to build mosques if the religion has that follower belief.

So it appears to me that

When you found a pantheon it automatically spreads to all of your cities and will be present in any new ones - this is certainly what has happened in my current game.
My new cities do not receive the benefit of my religion's pantheon belief. They only get it once the city is converted to the religion.

Of course, if you have a modicum of pressure exerted, a 1 pop city will flip within a couple turns.

Top Bottom