1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do people have faith?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by vonork, Mar 1, 2004.

1. vonork

vonork Emperor

In the religion vs. something threads the discussion in some posts have a tendency to end up in the: God" is not proven to exist, well God is not proven to not exist.

But then someone can come along and say: yes god has proven himself, Jesus, miracles, the bible, read the bible and you have all your proofs you need.

So I ask, well, if you see this as proof, and proof that holds up to you, so you feel it's proven, then do you have faith?

The argument "god will not give you unquestionable proof that God exists because you need faith". But why will he not give it to me, as God at the same time gives it to you.

It's like God don't want me that is stupid and can't draw the line between the dots and se that it is proven?

2. ICBM

ICBM -

Most things require some faith. The theory of evolution, the theory of reletivity, the big bang theory; all these require faith because they are not 100 percent fact.

3. Goober

Goober Turning Right ...

I have faith in Science, M$, and my ISP being pieces of crap, and faith in the human nature to screw up, and make the wrong choices . . .

4. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

vonork, these people are all ready to admit they have faith.

It's the faithful athiests (and the few faithful agnostics) who won't admit that they have faith.

5. The Person

The Person Deity +2

Be a forty-twoist! We believe in faith, and still we don't. PM me for details. I don't want this post to turn into a thread-jacking.

6. Pongui

Pongui Deity

Faithful agnostics? :undecide:

You're right most atheists don't see their faith. They embarrass me!

7. Stapel

Stapel FIAT 850 coupé

I think God doesn't provide you with faith, for the simple reason God does not exist.

Those people who do have faith, did give it to themselves, I guess.

But ok, let us assume for a moment that the Christian God is truely what the bible tells us. And let's assume he has given faith to his fans.
    Even if God exists, we have at least 3 billion people on this planet that have faith in non-existing deities. They have faith too! And where does their faith come from????

8. Hygro

Say the Islamic faith is correct for a moment, Stapel. In that case you have about 4.5 billion people who believe in the same God ;)

9. Stapel

Stapel FIAT 850 coupé

huh????

10. Hygro

I'm saying that you talk of half the people on Earth believing in God. But you only include Christianity and not all truly monothestic religions, in which case at least 3/4s have faith in God.

11. Stapel

Stapel FIAT 850 coupé

huh?

I don't think you understand what I mean: I was refering to one billion christians (we assume here they are right), and thus the one billion muslims, the one billion Hindu and the one billion Buhdists have faith in non existing deities.

I don't know the exact figures, but that is why I included the words 'at least'.

12. Lifeblood

Lifeblood Defender of the faith

The are under the spell of Lucifer.

13. Stapel

Stapel FIAT 850 coupé

Of course! Why didn't I think of that myself....

14. vonork

vonork Emperor

I don't think you understod the direction of my argument.

"Beliving in god does not require solid proof"

But to belive in something you got to know about it, and the treshhold for you to start beliveing might be lower then mine. So in the sence you have proofe but I don't.

So why don't god give me that final proff that he gave you so I will start beliving?

15. thestonesfan

thestonesfan A Client of Ron Kuby

Everyone has faith.

The smart ones have some sort of factual basis for their faith, however.

16. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

Religion does not have a monopoly on the word faith.

I have complete confidence in my most important belief system...Believing in ME!

I reject totally the idea that not-believing in a god is a religion...That is an oxymoron.

17. CIVPhilzilla

CIVPhilzilla Reagan Republican

True, but thats more factual than the bible. I personally am not a strong beliver in god. I sense there may be a god, but the bible i believe is inaccurate. Thats just my opinion.

18. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

You'll have to explain me how anyone can possibly be a "faithful agnostic"...
    Well, except that jews, muslims and christians all believe in the same deity.

They wage wars, practice persecutions, and fight themselve, only on the prophets ^^

19. Hygro

When people say this, they change the word "faith" to "religion". Athiests are people who have faith that there is no God, but you are right, they are not automatically religious.

20. bobgote

bobgote Trousers

:lol: It was obvious really :)

me too. (but in context the ME! is me, and not CurtSibling, as he is just a figment of his own imagination)