1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Do people like good huts?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by acluewithout, Apr 26, 2018.

1. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

The idea of random events often comes up, eg natural disasters or plagues. But do people like the existing random events, ie good huts and barb spawns.

I did when I started playing, especially when you get a free scout or builder. But now...

It feels a bit silly and kind of cheap. Particularly in later eras. Neither has any logic. I find a tribe, and instead of a launching off point for the game - you meet a new culture, will you be allies? will you be enemies? what can they teach us? what can we teach them? - I just get... loot. There’s not even a risk of getting a negative.

Likewise, barbs just spawn. Sure, I like the military challenge they sometimes create. But they’re so 2D. They don’t really hold territory. I can’t appease them. I can’t absorb them (except with random GG retirements or an apostle). They just spawn then maybe create some light tactical diversion (which is appreciated) and some eurekas.

The more complex and involved Civ gets, the more I think goody huts and 2D barb spawning feels like breaking barrels and wandering monsters.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    NoonePerson and Prester John 2 like this.
  2. Hammurabbit

Hammurabbit Chieftain

Interesting question.
    Personally I am for random events. Of course, I don't really play to win or to win as early as possible. If I were, I would probably have the opposite opinion.
    I agree that goodie huts and barb camps are not good incarnations of random events in the later era, while in the early eras I think they make a lot of sense.

I would love to see a more advanced event system that has a more immersive take, where real historical events are mirrored (the plague, value of luxuries, barbaric invasions, etc). I think they should be of less importance though, than they sometimes are in for example EU4.

Prester John 2 likes this.
  3. TomKQT

TomKQT Chieftain

You have other civs (AI in singleplayer) for a more complex behaviour (allies/enemies? what can we trade? will we fight? will they hold territory? ....) and city states for a semi-complex behaviour.
    Goody huts and barbarians are the lowest level, just a very small random reward for your active exploration and an early militaristic threat to simulate better how hard the early eras were and to prevent you from playing absolutely pacifistic for a long time while being 100 % safe.

SirWill90 and King Rad like this.
  4. The_Quasar

The_Quasar Chieftain

I like the idea of goody huts and barbarians... however, they have not progressed since Civ V.
    I'd like to see the barbarian camps becoming Free Cities after x turns, as that would make sense (barbs formed cities in Civ IV, at a certain age, which was a better idea than camps in later eras). A camp is a small village/city anyway, so if, after a few turns it grows, it makes sense.
    I'd also like some creative thinking to be done by the devs on goody huts. There could be far more scope to them than what happens at present, without unbalancing the game: for example, a small bonus of some kind for this, and perhaps the next era.

SirWill90 likes this.
  5. Arent11

Arent11 Chieftain

Somehow it feels less involved than in civ 1. Goody huts in civ 1 were always thrilling: You got a little story. For example, they are nomads & therefore you get a settler. Or your units cause an incident & the tribe grows aggressive and spawns 8 horsemen! Or they join you as a city.

The best way I have seen this implemented was master of magic. There, you had lots of ruins, towers & caves & they were either unguarded (small instant loot) or heavily guarded (much loot, but you could withdraw). This led to the situation that sometimes until late game you had a magic node near your capital that you couldn't conquer although you already bested most of your opponents. In this way, the "exploration" phase was present throughout the whole game.

6. mitsho

mitsho Chieftain

They are the luck factor in the Strategy Game giving you something to do while exploring. They are a distraction and a good one as Exploration would be rather dull without, no? They are the incremental rewards making us play on.

IF civ was more of a roleplaying game, they should be more immersive & tell a story, but then this story should not be the same one game after game. I would love that game. Sit in your palace and send out explorers, traders, builders, armies who then report back to you and depending on the tasks you give them your empire is built. But it would be a totally different game from civ.

Arent11 likes this.
  7. TomKQT

TomKQT Chieftain

Yep. It's always a pure reward (even if you really don't need the particular reward - it still IS a reward) because it serves as a motivation (reward) for active exploration early on. That's also the reason why the rewards don't scale up with areas, because goody huts are meants to be great in the beginning of the game (where +50 gold or +10 faith really matters).

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  8. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

Apparently there’s a reason why they are called Goody Huts and not e.g. Baddy Huts or Randomy Huts.
    And yes, I like them. They provide a nice thrill of early exploration.

Ferocitus likes this.
  9. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Goody huts are a motivation to explore for era points in R&F.

Barbs are your iron working and military tradition eurekas so have more importance than V in that regard. They also pump your era score big time and get you that important first promotion. Without them you do not really have to consider many risks in your home territories, as it is one suspects people leave no troops behind and when barbs invade its a bit of a panic. You also get a little gold off them which is rather handy and Gilga certainly votes for them. I agree they can seriously slow you down but only on higher difficulties and you can significantly reduce the risk with circliing and blocking tactics

These random factors can be turned off and like anything in any game some will like the features and some will not.

personally I feel the game is a lot duller without them.

LobstaBoy, King Rad, Karpius and 4 others like this.
  10. slowcar

slowcar stratege

I like them, they reward exploration and make new games a little fresher.

11. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

I like them, they are important part of giving each game that random kick in an unplanned direction which makes each new game feel fresh.

Karmah likes this.
  12. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

Good huts do motivate exploring, but there other reasons to explore too - Eurekas from natural wonder, new continent, other civs and city states; free envoys from city states; strategic information. I think I tend to explore more for these reasons, but perhaps goody huts are actually the stronger justification for exploring.

The only time I really get excited about them is if I play Norway, and can grab heaps of them with longships. But it's hardly immersive.

You also can't really turn them off, because then it mucks up the Eureka system and balance.

To be clear, I don't mind random rewards per se, I just find goody huts and random wandering monsters (that can only, only attack) just kind of dull... I'd like them better if they were combined, so you didn't know if you were going to find a reward or monster (barbarian).

13. Arent11

Arent11 Chieftain

How about something like this: You have little ruins, caves and village icons spread over the world. You can investigate them & depending on the outcome, you find:

(1) Barbarians that spawn a camp!
    (2) Some traders/an abandoned cave with a cache.
    (3) An independent city state! (spawns a village that needs ~10-20 turns to turn into a full blown city)
    (4) Ruins of an ancient settlement. Among the dust you find the secrets of an old technology.
    (5) A barbarian horde that spawns several units! (But not a camp)
    (6) A tribe that is in awe of your culture and joins your civ (spawns a village that needs 10-20 turns to turn into a full blown city)

14. Mojo85

Mojo85 Chieftain

I'm addicted to them, I'll do anything in my power to get more. I downloaded the good goody huts mod to increase frequency and better rewards from them. On Deity they feel like an equalizer during the early game because the AI is so freakishly ahead

15. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

No, I prefer bad huts.

This is probably the best argument in their favour.

Also, I've played without Barbs for a while (mostly cause I was afraid of them setting the AI back too far), it's quite doable to hard-research two or three techs.

Phoenix1595 likes this.
  16. Esperr

Esperr Chieftain

Huts can be a little RNJeesus. But RNG is some amount is good for a game. Most of the huts arent super strong anyway.

But when you hit that relic hut.....

17. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

I’ve certainly had some games where goody huts are game changers: Relics, a builder. There’s also a kind of hilarious frustration when you get a Eureka for something you can easily get the Eureka for anyway.

I like more reasons to explore. And I like some RNG goodies. I just think (1) goody huts are a poor way to implement that and (2) bit of a wasted opportunity, in that you don’t actually interact with anything even remotely approaching a ‘tribe’ or a ‘village’; you just get some random loot and then *puff* it's gone.

I do really like barbs. I’ve had some very exciting games because of them. But I think they’re too two dimensional.

I’ve been playing some Civ Revolution 2 with one of my kids. I can’t say I’d really recommend the game, but I do like how the barbarians have a little more personality.

18. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord

Goody huts are strongly associated with the Civ brand. I pity the lead developer who ever launches a future version of Civ without goody huts for you to find.

The question is really how should they work and what should they do, i.e. could you innovate beyond the current "step on the hex first and immediately get a random bonus" system? Which I think is more a question for Civ 7+.

In the context of Civ 6, to me they work fine, and they're one of the last things in the game I'd want to see the developers spending time fiddling with at this stage.

Karpius likes this.
  19. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer Chieftain

I like the huts... when I can find them. I've played many games where I do not find any. It's a bummer but not insurmountable.

As to barbarians, despite being a nuisance, I always play with them. It'd feel strange not to have them running rampant. That said, I agree with others that it would be nice to see Barbarian camps turn into free cities and become an even bigger threat to players.

20. Hammurabbit

Hammurabbit Chieftain

would be interesting to levy barb armies for gold for a few turns

WillowBrook likes this.