1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do people like good huts?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by acluewithout, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Mr.JamblesAlpha

Mr.JamblesAlpha Chieftain

What is wrong is that barbarians lack interaction, give them a face or two to yell from like the awful civ revolutions. Have them say things and insult you ever once in a while and give them some more individuation like the encampment would act like a bank storing stuff that they collect from near by traders, cities, and improvements.
    Goody hut should give you a quest like unit stay here for x turns get insight, go kill "monster/dragon/mythical thing" but it is actually an animal/barbarian get a Relic or something, protect GH for x turns to make it a free settler or worker, go to this wounder/continent get free scout. and more stuff like that to make it more then just find a random thing get free stuff.

2. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

I like them. It can be a compensation for having a bad spawn location (i.e. in the tundra, near nobody? At least you'll get more goody huts than most people do).

3. rschissler

rschissler King

Huts yes, barbs no.

4. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Huts are fine overall, but perhaps their rewards should scale over time, even if that doesn't make much sense. Maybe it shouldn't give those great rewards early on giving some incentive to 'save" huts at the risk of it being grabbed by someone else.

Barbs are needed so you need to defend yourself early game and can't just power build econ. But yes, they are a bit boring so they ought to return to Civ 4's way of them developing their own cities too. Maybe even form a new CS?

5. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

No to more silly distracting rubbish.
    It's a strategy game, not Brittania's Got Talent Innit.

6. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I would love it if the goodie huts were replaced with something like the native indian villages in Sid Meier's Colonization. They could be destroyed of course for some gold and to make room for your own cities. But you could also enter them with a unit and negotiate with the town leader for a free population, gold, a luxury, a free military unit etc... Some of these villages would be hostile and would spawn barbarians while others would be friendly. You could give them gifts to make them friendlier and get more stuff from them or even convert them into a city eventually.

acluewithout likes this.
  7. raen

raen Coat of Arms

8. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

You young kids now days, back in my day you pop a goody hut and 8 barbarians would spawn around you. You got it so easy. /rantmode off.

Seriously I'm okay with both. Though as mentioned above, late game they don't make a whole lot of sense. It may seem fit to remove these, as the main reason these are still in the game is because it was in past civ games. It's a tradition at this point. But think about how much more boring the game would be without these things. Though I often disable barbarians since the AI gives more challenge this way. I still think it's a good idea to reward exploration. Otherwise it would be a 3X game, or XXX game. :)

9. OneMoreTurnPerTile

OneMoreTurnPerTile Chieftain

That would be an awesome feature.

10. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Warlord

Without Huts, and especially Barb Camps, it would be amazingly difficult to get enough Era Score for early Golden Ages. Turning them off impairs you deeply. they are deeply intertwined with the new mechanic.

It would be nice if Huts just provided a nominal amount of Culture or Science instead of a full Eureka (sometimes two.) A full Builder or Scout is a huge windfall, and a Relic is just game changing. Remember when they occasionally promoted the troop that found them? A Scout suddenly becoming a Ranger would be something to see.

Barbs are more difficult than the AI in my opinion, especially once they start spawning. Especially if Horsemen start coming out of the fog to ruin your day. No Barbs means a dramatically different game, one where Traders roam free and the seas are safe.

11. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

They're a bit of a missed opportunity at this point.

What I find interesting is the line of thinking "they are incentive to explore". You already have significant incentive to explore. City state bonuses, natural wonder bonuses, locations for amenities/strategic resources, knowledge of likely rival civ settlements in the near future, and your own settlement pattern are all contingent on the quality of a player's exploration. In this sense lucky huts don't add much to the game, because there's not much to consider regarding them. People just get a little more or less of useful starting stuff without using any thought.

Compare this to barbs. Barbs are broken in the first few turns, because you can get scouted before you have counterplay. After that, however, you can choose between leaving camps in known good spots or clearing them. You do need to think a little - in terms of build order, where to place your potential scout intercept units, and even make an estimation based on terrain + open space how much you need to invest to keep their impact on you to a minimum. As a mechanic, barbs are trash for 5-10 turns and then significantly better design than huts for the entire rest of the game.

acluewithout likes this.
  12. jddods

jddods Prince

Both add fun and interest particularly in the early part of the game. You can always turn them off if you don't like them. I wish they would bring back the option to change the level of barbarian activity.

13. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Removing them and barbs makes the Age game more interesting. It also speeds up turn time, and prevents cheesy camps from spawning late game on the poles, which highly annoys me.

On the other hand, barb camps are fun.

14. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I like both, for the most part.

But there should be risk in exploring the goody hut. Not eight horsemen risk, but maybe there's a chance it turns out to be a barb camp (that would then have to send out a scout as usual before it sends units your way).

And it would be very cool if a barb camp left alone long enough would turn into a free city.

acluewithout likes this.
  15. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

Civ4, by the end, did have random events which I LOVED (but some did not). They ranged from dynastic marriages that gave diplo modifiers, to timed build quests, similar to the current emergencies system. It was flavor, granted, but they added something different to each game and were immersive.

As for goodie huts, I wish they would re-introduce barb spawn to possible goodie hut outcomes. It would shake things up a bit, and make players more cautious about fielding too many lone scouts in the remote wilderness...

16. Greywulf

Greywulf King

A degree of randomness is part of life. Goody huts remind me of going on a treasure hunt, so perhaps it's a bit of my inner child that likes the idea so much, but I'm for goody huts...Not too many of course, but rare.

17. gorlod

gorlod Chieftain

I like to play with huts and barbs enabled but in later eras they are pointless. It would be nice if an unexplored hut become a city state and/or barb camps become free cities after certain amount of turns/eras.

WillowBrook and acluewithout like this.
  18. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

You know, a revamp of goody huts and barbarians would make a great little DLC after all the expansions are done.

Maybe the barbs could get a few more unique units (i.e. in addition to their horse archer)? Maybe there could be a way to recruit Barbs to your side, or that you could unlock certain unique units.

I mean, it's not exactly a priority. But that's why I think maybe a DLC after everything else has been expanded / fixed / tweak ...

19. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

One of my few quibbles with the Civ 6 artwork - which I generally love - is that goody huts are so bland. Which is odd given the generally colourful art style overall.

I wish they stood out more and conveyed more of that "I found a treasure!" impact, visually.

Greywulf and WillowBrook like this.
  20. Rosty K

Rosty K King

Something like that was a German ability in Civ 5 (though you'd gain them permanently, and they'd give you money), and there could be a reason it didn't develop further...

Levying might be too radical, but if you could pay them to go to that other city instead of yours, it could be interesting. Though currently you can't even pay your neighbor to attack another neighbor :D