Do promotions work if you upgrade to a unit that shouldn't have them?

Plug

Warlord
I promoted a unit (I believe that it was either Saladin's war camel or a cavalry) to have Medic II. Later I upgraded that unit to a helicopter and the graphics show that the unit still has that promotion. I was wondering however whether it still works because the helicopter doesn't seem to be helping my tanks much.

Anyone know the rules for situations like these?

It works. City Raid III rifles (or even better Redcoats) are unstoppable units during mid-end game.

they work. A medic II helicopter seems like a great thing to have

Do upgraded units keep their promotions???

That is something I have been wondering about because I cannot remember a unit I have upgraded that ever kept them. Could it be that I always upgrade them to a unit that doesn't get the promotions that the old unit had?

If I had a medic helicopter... I'd probably humm the M*A*S*H Theme every time I flew it in to heal somebody.

They keep their promotions, but I believe their experience is capped at 10. This means that your 20/26 xp unit is set back to 10/26. Therefore, it will take him a whole lot longer to reach the next level after his upgrade.

And remember units that move don't heal. The medic CAN move and help other units that turn, but not it's self.
(barring the march promo)

I had one last game. Medic 2, combat 2, amphib Gunship. Fun unit, and good for moping up strays. City assualts needed a bit more umph tho.

I love playing the Japanese. Build a lot of Swords (and Axe for that matter). Promote them to City Raider III or more. Then upgrade them to Samauri. They definitely keep their upgrades and they are devastating.

PLaying as English, I had some Longbows I think they were, which I had given First Strike II or even III. I later upgraded them to Redcoats. Funny to see a Redcoat with First Strike ability, but they had it, and as far as I could tell, it worked, as the Combat Odds showed the ability and those units kicked butt.

This is a classic strategy in my game book. Give all those early swords etc. city raider 3. Then you can promote them to all manners of goodies (Red Coats, Infantry) etc. that don't normally get them.

That XP downgrade when upgrading is a ***** though.

Heh, Donnie Darko sig.

You're right about the exp penalty - sometimes it's sensible to hold off an upgrade until the unit gets to its next promotion.

al_thor said:
I love playing the Japanese. Build a lot of Swords (and Axe for that matter). Promote them to City Raider III or more. Then upgrade them to Samauri. They definitely keep their upgrades and they are devastating.
That's not quite the situation the OP was asking about, though. Samurai (and Maces) can take Raider naturally. The point here is that you can do something like Maces->Rifles and get Raider promos where you wouldn't have been able to building fresh units.

Yep. Just one of the compelling reasons to upgrade units rather than bulid new ones and delete obsolete ones.

Just don't do like I did my last game - upgrade a warrior (city raider I) -> axeman -> grenadier -> machine gun. Woops! Machine gun can't attack, why did I do that lol

This is a little off topic but i think that a cool upgrade, that came avaliable after Flight, would be to make a infantry/sam/marine units be able to take a para trooper upgrade. Maybe after combat 2 or something.

Then from any city with an airport they could be dropped the current distance that fighters can cover?

Top Bottom