Do roads going through AI's territory create Trade Routes?

demeryt

Chieftain
I have 2 cities separated from my main territory by AI's territory (both a civilization and a City State). It's Pangea, so I can't build harbors in them.

If I connect them to one of my "main" cities by roads, these roads will have to be going through AI's territory. I couldn't find the answers to the following questions:

1. Will that create Trade Routes?
2. Do I need to have Open Borders with that civilization at all times for the TR to be maintained? (ie. will the TR break if the Open Border agreement expires?)
3. Same for the CS, do I need to be Friends or Allies with them at all times?
4. Who pays for the roads I built in AI's territory, me or him?

1. Yes, if 2.
2. Yes.
3. I think so.
4. He does. You only pay for roads in your territory.

You can't build roads in another player's territory, although you could certainly ring his city with a road, then let his cultural expansion absorb the roads and their cost. Or build roads around a city that is about to fall to his advancing troops or that you gift to him. Carpet a city with roads, build tons of farms, remove all mines, trading posts, and resource-exploiting improvements, gift to "ally". Probably not worth the cost of maintaining the city while you prep that, but still devious.

Are you sure? if so then this can be used to bankrupt the AI by covering every inch in his territory with roads :lol:

I know you don't pay costs on roads built in neutral territory. You can build roads in the territory of a friendly city-state. I wasn't sure if you could build roads in AI territory, but per Maktaka, you can't. I'm not sure if you can build roads in the territory of a neutral or hostile city-state, but I do know it won't give you a trade route and you won't be able to use the road, so there's very little reason to do it.

You have to be friends with a city state to get the equivalent of open borders with them (trade access and entry without trespassing).

You pay maintenance for all roads in your territory and all roads in neutral territory that were built by you.

You have to be friends with a city state to get the equivalent of open borders with them (trade access and entry without trespassing).

You pay maintenance for all roads in your territory and all roads in neutral territory that were built by you.

AFAIK, that's wrong. Neutral territory roads cost nothing.

Top Bottom