1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do Spies work?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by mbrown, Nov 24, 2003.

1. mbrown

mbrown Chieftain

I have built the intelligenec agancy several times.
    I have attempted many times to plant spies only to get the message ... "your spy has been caught and killed. Emperor so and so is not pleased"

Am I doing something wrong or is this simply the law oif averages.

2. Deatvert

Deatvert I'm Bored

law of averages

3. Granite88

Granite88 Chieftain

Yeah, alot of times that happens. Either re-load or just try again in a few turns. Remember, if you fail, wait (i think it's four turns?) before trying to infiltrate said civ again.

4. JustBen

JustBen Prince

Nothing to do with the law of averages... You just probably never read the line of text that's hidden the-gods-only-know-where that says that if you fail to plant a spy, you are guaranteed failure when planting a spy in the same civ for the next 2-4 turns. So wait 4 turns and try again.

And also remember that reloading (if you're into that) will only work if you've taken care to turn on the "Re-seed random number generator" option at the beginning of your game.

5. MajorFallout

MajorFallout Battalion-Command

You may also notice that the type of governments the AI has (specifically Anarchy, Republic, and Communism - I think) and if the civ is a war will give you a much better chance of planting a spy.

6. JustBen

JustBen Prince

Good call, MF -- the Commies will be better at thwarting your spies and if you're Red your spies are more likely to work (it's not worth it, though!).

Don't know about being at war, though. The AI is more likely to be communist in the middle of a war, though.