1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do the leaders of Civ 6 are all different to the Civ 5's leaders?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by El Castellano, Jul 7, 2016.

1. El Castellano

El Castellano Warlord

So far have shown 5 of the 18 leaders of civ 6 and none of them is repeated of civ 5. Do you think that any leader of civ 5 will be repeated, or will all be different?

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

They've indicated that many will be different, but some will be the same. I expect that Montezuma and Isabella will return. Gandhi seems all but certain. If the Zulus return in vanilla, I'm confident Shaka will lead them again. Catherine also has a pretty good chance of coming back, but she has stiff competition in the Big Personality department.

3. Felis Renidens

Felis Renidens Prince

I cannot be 100% sure, but it seems to me very likely that we will have Montezuma and Ghandi.

4. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Not 4, 5 - Hojo Tokimune was not seen except as image in magazine, but he counts as confirmed different leader.

Personally I expect/hope for fresh leaders of Germany (Frederick), France (Louis XIV), Rome (Marcus Aurelius - there were many other great emperors besides tired Caesar and Octavian), Mongolia (Kubilai Khan), and in long term Babylon (Hammurabi), Dutch (Wilhelmina), Portugal (Henrique Navigator, although anybody would be more competent than Maria :p ), Ethiopia (Menelik or others), Carthago (Hannibal), Korea (Queen Seondeok), Persia (Cyrus, Abbas or Nader Shah), Ottomans (Mehmed the Conqueror), and few others.

I'd also like different leader for India (so many to choose... but am afraid Gandhi will remain :( ) and Greece (Pericles, but keeping Alexander may be tempting).

As for the Isabel of Spain, Catherine of Russia and Montezuma of Aztecs, I'd be fine with them remaining.

5. Denkt

Denkt Left permamently

It seems like they have changed leader for most civilizations but some civilizations may keep the same leader.

6. El Castellano

El Castellano Warlord

True, I had forgotten it.

7. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

It would be ironic to have William III prince of Orange as leader of the dutch. I think that Wilhelmina would be to recent as she was queen until 1948 and died in 1962.

8. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

Montezuma in civ V was Montezuma II though right? Previous iterations, and probably VI will have Montezuma I

9. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I certainly see the case for Kublai Khan, but I good ol' Chingiz would make for a great "Big Personality" animation.

10. moysturfurmer

moysturfurmer Emperor

Oh I bet she does :mischief:

Anyway, I think we're gonna get:

1. (Spain) Isabella I
    2. (India) a wet fart Ghandi
    3. (Aztecs) Montezuma I or II
    4. (Mongolia) Kublai Khan Genghis Khan
    5. (France) Louis XIV
    6. (Ottomans) Mehmet II
    7. (Persia) Khosro II Cyrus II
    8. (Germany) Bismarck
    9. (Vietnam) Trung Sisters
    10. (Kongo) Nzinga
    11. (Rome) Marcus Aurelius Julius
    12. (Greece) Pericles Alexander
    13. (Arabia) I honestly have no idea. Gut tells me they'll save Saladin for a DLC Crusades scenario

11. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Dates of death:
    Civ5
    Haile Selasse - 1975
    Gandhi - 1948

Civ4
    FDR - 1945
    Stalin - 1953
    Churchill - 1965
    de Gaulle - 1970
    Mao - 1976

So 'too recent' is not a good argument against Wilhelmina. I'd say only >1979 is 'too recent' for the series.

12. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

It was not an argument, but an assumption/expectation that Firaxis would choose other Dutch leaders over a too recent one. The list you present from Civ4 are one of the multiple leaders for each of those civs. Since in civ VI, at least in vanilla, there will be only one leader per civ. I don't expect none of them to return at release. Ghandi has become iconic for civilization that probably he would be in civ VI too, unfortunately. There would be better choices as real leaders for India. As for Haile Selasse, I don't know much about Ethiopian history, so I can't tell.

I am also not opposing the idea of Wilhelmina as leader. As a female Dutch leader she would be the best option. As for William III it would be ironically to have him as the Dutch leader, because he invaded Britain and became also king of England, Ireland and Scotland.
    Edit: Besides I still don't expect William III to be a Dutch leader just because of this.

13. toft

toft King

-----

14. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

Given the theme and art style of the game, if Portugal makes it into civ6 at any point and they don't use Henry the Navigator as their leader, that'd be a travesty.

Agreed. But the game will never change on this front. So, opinions.

15. wilcoxchar

wilcoxchar Warlord

Don't you mean Afonso V, who was the actual leader of Portugal when Henry the Navigator was active? For a good Age of Discovery era leader for Portugal, I would go with Manuel I.

16. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

No, I meant Henry.

17. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

The other way around, civ5 Monty is Monty I (the badass one), Monty II is the one that faced the Spanish.

I hope they still go with Monty I, but should they decide to go for Monty II it would be at least interesting if they made him an arrogant chocolate drinking pompous dude.

18. Ezumiyr

Ezumiyr Warlord

A lot of these leaders were in Civ4, it's not exactly what I would call "fresh".

19. Karmah

Karmah Emperor Supporter

You forgot about dan quayle ! (yeah ok he was not a leader but quite an icon for civ old timer , maybe not at his advantage :mischief:)

20. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Kublai Khan, too, though--it's not like Kublai was a "successful but boring" ruler (like, say, Victoria >_>).

Honestly, if they depersonalized the game by taking out leaders, I wouldn't buy another civ game.