1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do we expect a 2018 Fall Patch?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by V. Soma, Nov 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer Prince

England tends to be considered one of the more broken civilizations at this point. It's lost the ability to stack trade routes with royal navy dockyards and lost the ability to get a free unit upon capture of a city. In exchange, RNDs and cities founded upon foreign continents give a free melee unit. The RND also gives an extremely weak +4 loyalty bonus/turn. The sea dog is fairly unremarkable. The redcoats are great on foreign continents but musketmen cannot be upgraded into redcoats, which is annoying.

While it's not Georgia-levels of bad, it feels lacking.

2. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I mentioned this in the England civ of week thread, but they aren't a bad civ. I just consider them average in nearly every way. But still significantly better than Georgia, at least they have a strong heads up on one particular victory condition.

3. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I mean I understand that they were degraded in recent patches, and that people want their favorite/home civ to be good . . . but the US for example has pretty much always been lackluster throughout the entire series and there hasn't been the "focus" on them like we've seen with England.

Meluhhan likes this.
  4. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

I think England are top tier at Culture victory, the Archeological Museum is a wonderful unique building. I play on large maps and it's so good picking up 6 artifacts instead of the usual 3. 6 instead of 3 would be pretty good, but the fact that they automatically theme is top notch.

I won on turn 278 doing a Culture Victory with England before playing on Immortal difficulty. That is a good winning time for me.

5. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

England. They're not underpowered. Half price district and free stuff is half price district and free stuff. The various nerfs have just made them incredibly focused on a very narrow Victory strategy. As a result, they've gone from fun and challenging, to just boring and boring. They're also hurt a little bit by colonial cities not being worth the investment and naval game just being boring because the AI doesn't challenge you in the seas.

Spain. They're not underpowered. They are a very strong Domination Civ using Religion. Yes, they don't get going until the mid game, but that's the design. Spain really just suffer from (1) Religion being a bit underwhelming if you haven't founded your own, (2) Colonial cities being not worth the effort, (3) Naval being boring.

Georgia. I wish they were better, because I'd really like to play a good "castles and pikemen" medieval Civ. Their Religion stuff is actually pretty good. The only buff they need is a general bonus for walls (e.g. +% production bonus and or faith per Wall level) that compliments their unique renaissance walls (maybe buffing those to +2 culture). They also suffer from (1) anti-cav and Pikes being too expensive (2) Military Tactics being not worth the cost (which is partly related to (1)), (3) again, maybe also Religion being underwhelming if you haven't founded one yourself.

America. Agree. They're very powerful - maybe even OP? But very, very passive and boring. China is likewise fairly boring while also being very strong.

6. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Are we playing the same America? I find them fairly weak. The +5 combat bonus is nice though. It's just begging for you to take over your home continent (appropriate).

7. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

+5 for all units in all situations seems pretty powerful to me, particularly as it lets you clear out your initial continent. You can also stack it with Oligarchy or with Knights etc. Their studio is also pretty powerful, more so with the National Park power, and doesn't require as much set up as England's museum.

Are they OP? Nah, probably not. But they are powerful.

...and also just dead boring. The combat bonus is just the worst. You play higher difficulty to give you a challenge, and then Teddy's +5 just offsets it. Cancels it out. You don't even have to "do" anything to get the bonus (compare Mongolia, Spain etc), you just have it. Sigh.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  8. SephiBBZ

SephiBBZ Chieftain

Georgia is really the worst civ, need to be almost completly reworked.

Spain is bad, far too slow, even special unit and building are late.

France is interesting but not really playable, something needs to be changed.

Khmer seems useless to me, not well equilibriated.

Scyte is still insane.

Moreover, all the civ based on ships are not really playable since we don't have a map where everything is equilibriated.
    We don't want to play on islands but we want to let a chance to ship civ.
    So we are playing on fractal, which is actually the best map, which is trying to equilibriate everything but it is not enough.
    Even on fractal, building ships is generally not a good idea, it happens only a very few times to be strong.

A patch would be nice.

9. Zdarg

Zdarg Prince

I do.

10. c4c6

c4c6 Prince

Please speak for yourself or make clear who is meant to be "we".

11. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

That's a really big bonus, early, which is when the game is decided. It's bigger than the combat bonus the AI gets on Deity.

On single player, it may not stand out as being so important because for many people, rolling the AI isn't difficult anyway. But it really does help.

If you see a major AI Civ killed early, there's a good chance it was someone who started on Teddy's continent. He seems to put more of a smack down on his AI neighbours than Gilgabro or other AI's with a good starting unit. All of Teddy's starting units are good.

Timothy001 and acluewithout like this.
  12. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Back in vanilla civ I used to play TSL Greatest Earth map a lot. Sometimes America could defend against Aztecs, but usually Aztecs put the hurtin' on America. AI America sometimes does well, however, but usually not.

13. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

The AI's performance isn't really indicative of much. If it did, then England and Spain would be the worst civs.... oh wait. (Seriously every game they have like 2 cities forever.... is like they know they suck and are on strike)

America's pretty good because at the very least you have little trouble with rushes and the diplomatic card slot is worthless, making Oligarchy much stronger with them. You could stack Oligarchic Legacy and Twilight valor stacked on top of your continent bonus.

But as always America ends up boring in civ because their stuff is always so late. Rough Rider is good but has to be hard build and the Film Studio is bad because it replaces a bad building and requires your rivals to be in the modern era.... but you don't want them to be that if you're going culture. Think it'd be better to have 20% per era after ancient.