1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do we want another expansion?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Legal_My_Deagle, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Legal_My_Deagle

Legal_My_Deagle Warlord

The answer seems obvious enough, of course we want more Civ :p But can it be done? There IS such a thing as putting too much in to one game. How much more can REALLY be added?

However if they come out with an expansion, could they really add anything else worthwhile? It seems like they have pretty much all bases covered.

I am not sure if there are really any Civs to be added that would still make sense....maybe leaders would be good. I know I would like to see a Spartan leader for the Greeks, for example.

What game concepts could be added?

Is Civ4 "done" now?

2. Scramble

Scramble Warlord

Civ 5

Every civ game up till this point has added an important new concept to the series, as well as (for the most part) all the old stuff.
    What could be added to another civ game or expansion?

3. GeneralMatt

GeneralMatt Emperor

Canada! Hahaha.. Seriously, maybe a slightly more inclusive combat system? Flanking and such.
    I would love to have to options to fight my own battles to, but that would not be Civ anymore..

4. Legal_My_Deagle

Legal_My_Deagle Warlord

This thread is about a possible expansion to Civ4, but I don't mind talking about speculation about Civ5 as long as we don't totally stray.

In Civ5 I want them to change how borders work....although I like the gameplay of how culture borders work, it seems kind of silly that in the modern age your culture can steal land. That would be like the US making claims of Ontario because the Culture of Chicago is overpowering them :p

5. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Yeah unless they think of something that will add another element to the game, I'd rather not have another expansion. I don't want an expansion just to have more Civs and more units.

6. Lightwave

Lightwave Warlord

I was wondering that as well. I had just made a similar comment in another thread. Overall, it does at least seem "done."

But, if there were anything added with it still staying "Civ," I would say they could flesh out the modern age planes and to a lesser extent the ships. I think up until the modern age, the game seems well filled out. For all versions of the game (at least from Civ II - IV), the modern age has always seemed somewhat (can't think of the word here) "patched together," kind of like an afterthought addition not as well expressed as the rest of the game.

As far as more significant changes, I would love to see an entire Future Age (not just a few techs and units like in NextWar), but it is my impression that it is not part of their vision for Civ.

7. Lightwave

Lightwave Warlord

Now that is an interesting idea, but it is more like a CivV change since it a fundamental change to the game play mechanics. As far as it not being Civ anymore, it is a big change, but I personally still think it would fit. It would add a whole level of tactical fun, and their could always be an option to use the standard "random" combat.

8. eoc

eoc Prince

why canada, there has been already USA

9. GeneralMatt

GeneralMatt Emperor

Yeah, of course you wouldn't have to fight them. :p

Well I could get into it, but did you not see the "hahaha" after the sentence? I really doubt we will ever get in..

10. FitzRoySomerset

FitzRoySomerset Chieftain

If the Holy Roman Empire can be included, I think just about any nation would qualify.

Besides, with global warming Canada surely has bright prospects for the future. Okay, maybe not a global power today, but in 50 - 100 years....

All we have to do is convince Firaxis to run the game to 2150 instead of 2050. ;)

Okay, okay.... back on topic. What game topics to add to an expansion? How about population migration? When a neighboring civ is exerting cultural pressure, perhaps the population of the closest city might decline and add itself to a city in the neighboring civ.

11. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

I want a full mod that turns Civ4 into Alpha Centauri. I'd be willing to pay at least 20-30 bucks for it.

12. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Well there are a whole bunch of things I'd like in Civ 4 but they would amount to maybe 4 new units, 2 or 3 new Leaders, a bunch of tweaks, and a change to a few systems (diplovictory, some general diplo tweaks, global warming)

but
    No new Civs
    No new Wonders
    No new Techs
    No new buildings
    No (ok maybe 1 new terrain Improvement: pre-Forest Preserve)
    No new Features

so no Expansion to Civ 4, possibly some more patches to civ 4 BTS.. the rest for civ 5

Civ 5, I would really like to see
    Simultaneous turn based combat (units are all given orders.. and they all have areas of effect that they defend or interact in... and they all 'Move' Simultaneously)
    Tile/region, rather than city, based populations + economies
    Changing scale (as your tech allows faster travel+communication, regions merge into each other for management and work purposes)
    Sim Liberation.. give your people more reaction to what you do.

13. cf_nz

cf_nz Prince

I don't want another expansion to Civ 4. Expansions are just too limited in what they can add/change. Next stop, Civ 5.

14. Thrasybulus

Thrasybulus Chieftain

Don't you mean the culture of Detroit? Ha! Ha! Ha! That would never happen! :crazyeye:

Sorry. I used to live in Cleveland and couldn't resist. Go Tribe!

15. Mortac

Mortac Warlord

I would like to see the game continue in a serious manner after 2050 by adding future techs (and I don't mean ones that offer nothing but score). No, I don't want to turn the game into Star Wars, but the future could eventually become something alike to Alpha Centauri.

Other than expansions, a new version of Master of Magic, please. :) Oh I miss Microprose!

16. vixafox

vixafox Warlord

After 2050 the first future tech should be "Time Travel", allowed after building the unique building "Tardis". This tech would give you the ability to affect the future by travelling back in time and changing events that happened in the past.

Wait, we already have this tech. It's called "reloading".

17. mice

mice Moose

That put into words exactly what I would like to see. I'm OK waiting for civ 5 for it. The changes need to be drastic.

The issue in civ4 for me is that a war victory takes much much longer to play out than a space/culture/diplo victory. The changes Krikkitone suggested would go a long way to making the game time for all vic conditions more similar, which is what I want.

18. Legal_My_Deagle

Legal_My_Deagle Warlord

A fleshed out modern age WOULD be sexy. I have barely even gotten to use any of the modern age units, like helicopters though. I think I have only fought 2 tank wars...

I also agree they should do something to Diplomatic Victories.

19. toft

toft King

Another expansion? No
    Civ5? No
    Another publisher? Yes
    Civ5? Yes

20. CivFan87

CivFan87 Chieftain

It depends. If Civ 5 uses a hexagonal grid then I will want Civ5 sooner :)

But really I can't think of any more features they could add to Civ4. They can certainly improve on stuff(Spies, AP/UN, combat), but that doesnt require an expansion.