1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do white people have a mostly positive or negative effect on America?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mark1031, Jul 27, 2018.

?

Do white people have a mostly positive or negative effect on America?

1. positive

22 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. negative

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  1. Hehehe

Hehehe Chieftain

Don't legal claims follow common perception? How would you justify your claims that the Irish weren't considered white? You have what, a grand total of 2-3 anecdotes?
    Are you sure you're not confusing whiteness with Nazi race science? They're not the same thing you know. If you're opposed to Nazi race science, then yeah, I don't think anyone here will disagree

2. Mark1031

Mark1031 Chieftain

Why? This was my initial response as well but that response is my whole point for the thread and the linked article. It is the framing and underlying assumptions of our responses. Suppose you are a black family that traces your ancestry in the US back 300 yrs. The question is basically asking is it good or bad for you to have another kid.

Note to those analyzing the question: yes it is poorly phrased with no neutral choice and the whole concept of race is questionable/fluid. That is not the point. The point is peoples reactions to the 2 different ways of asking the question about the value of different racial makeups in society.

3. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

The question makes the whole exercise useless. You're criticising people for picking one choice but the other choice was bad also. Since we don't know how many people saw the poll but decided they couldn't vote for either choice how many voted for each choice is basically irrelevant.

Ryika likes this.
  4. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Warlord Super Moderator

I don't think I've ever seen questions like "do black people have a mostly positive or negative impact?" asked either, outside of overtly racist sites.

What I do see asked is "do immigrants have a mostly positive or negative impact?" There is a difference because there is a policy choice to be made about immigration rates. If existing immigrants, or for that matter their children, had high levels of social dysfunction and were seen as having a destabilizing effect on the society, it might be reasonable to wish to reduce immigration.

There isn't such a choice about people of any ethnicity who are already natives of the country - any such attempt would be ethnic cleansing. So the question doesn't accomplish anything other than insulting people from that group.

5. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

The phrasing is bad, you shouldn't see "races" as monoliths and should be more concerned about class.

Now, having said that: White people are on average much more likely to vote Republican which means that as a group they have a very negative effect on America.
    Obligatory not all white people, some of my best friends are white people etc.

6. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

But by that logic, black people as a group have a very negative effect on America because they are much more criminal than other demographics. You can't just focus on one factor where a demographic has a negative impact (from your point of view) and then ignore everything else in the overall evaluation of that demographic.

Or do you think that whether Republicans or Democrats are in power makes such a huge difference for the country that literally everything else is meaningless? I don't think that's not even close to being realistic.

7. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

If non-whites in America were as racist as whites are, we would have had major race war already. The reason we have not is that American Blacks haven't chosen to be as racist as American whites.

8. Ryika

That's a pretty racist statement if you ask me.

9. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

10. Ryika

Want me to assemble some "Kill all whities!" youtube videos?

Chose and Birdjaguar like this.
  11. GoodSarmatian

Has someone been watching Ben Shapiro ?
    I also have my doubts about that fact and would like to see what crimes exactly. Black people are more likely to go to jail for smoking a joint while most mass shootings are carried out by whites. "White crime" also brought us the 2008 recession that caused much greater damage than a couple of gang wars here and there.

Not meaningless, but it does make a huge difference. Democrats had their fair share of idiotic interventions, but it was Republicans who brought us the War on Terror which indirectly caused the refugee crisis and the same people are determined to undermine any measures to fight climate change.
    The problem isn't white people, it's the right wing. There's just significant overlap between those goups.

12. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

Sure. Who's got the power?

13. Cutlass

A racist would certainly say so. Fortunately we live in a world where "reverse racism" is not a real thing. Racism is racism no matter what direction it is aimed in. When a person hates another for no other reason that what racial or ethnic group someone comes from, that person is a racist. When a person discriminates against another for no other reason that what racial or ethnic group someone comes from, that person is a racist. Doesn't matter what group each belongs to. When a person harms another for no other reason that what racial or ethnic group someone comes from, that person is a racist.

In the United States racism has overwhelmingly existed as whites being racist and discriminating and harming those who are not white. Do some non-whites hate whites as a result of that? Certainly. Are they trying to harm or discriminate against whites as a group because of this? Generally speaking, no.

Actual racist actions in the US are still well over 95% whites as the perpetrators. Actual racist rhetoric in the US are still well over 95% whites as the perpetrators. It's not that the other direction does not exist, it is that the other direction is so totally dwarfed by white racism as to be insignificant.

Now white racists assume that Blacks and other colored peoples are going to be like they are, and get their payback when they get the chance. But there really is no prospect of anti-white racism as fundamental government policy the way pro-white racism has been for the past 240 years in this country. There just is no reason to assume that it will happen, other than racists fearing payback for their choice to be racists.

But the real trick is, had they not chosen to be racists in the first place, then this issue wouldn't exist at all. Evil breeds evil. The deliberate choice to be evil by the white racists certainly has made enemies. But not all whites are racists, and not all Blacks have been irremediably poisoned by racism. Even though all African Americans have been harmed by it. There's a certain schadenfreude in seeing the racists finally getting what they deserve. But it's not going to happen. And only the most cowardly of the racists really believe that it will.

Synsensa likes this.
  14. Ironsided

Ironsided Flower of happiness

I’m white as can be and have a most negative view and hopfully effect on America. Cheers!

15. Ryika

Literally all violent crimes. Example:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_crime_in_the_United_States

Unless you think white people are able to avoid being arrested for crimes like murder, it's obvious that black people on average commit more violent crimes. Mass shootings done by single shooters don't really matter statistically.

And of course we also know why black people are more violent on average; it's because they live in worse neighborhoods, because they're poorer and poverty breeds crime, because they lower social mobility, etc. - so I'm not sure why you're even arguing against statistics that are generally accepted by pretty much all sides. The point is that, if judged by one circumstantial characteristic only, you can make a case against any demographic, not that black people are worse than white people.

If the Republicans stopped existing tomorrow, the Democrats would happily take their place.

Yeah, that's exactly my point. The white people in power do actually have the ability to cause a lot more damage with their racism. But that's not the point Cutlass made, he claimed that black people simply don't choose to be racist and white people do, which simply is a racist statement that is completely removed from reality. There are tons of black people who choose to be racist, their racism just doesn't have that much of an effect, while the people who are in power (and as such usually white) and behave like racists, have a hell of a lot of influence.

Cutlass initial statement was stupid and racist, and I'm glad he's now backpaddling and trying to come up with excuses to justify it.

16. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

I'm not racist at all, you Feelthy Stoopid Humans!

17. Cutlass

Wow. You just need to double down on being a racist at all costs, don't you.

Explain to me where I hate on or discriminate or harm someone of any race because of their racial group.

18. Ryika

->

19. GoodSarmatian

I'd still argue that having Evil Idiots in power has a more negative effect on a country than violent crime, and those same idiots are in part responsible for the conditions that lead to violent crime.

There would probably be a more rightwing offshoot of the Democrats or a totally new party, but at this point it's hard to imagine how they could be as bad as the current Repubs.

20. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

One out of three anecdotes down.

The Nazis were famously indifferent to whiteness, as a category.

yung.carl.jung and Kyriakos like this.