1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do white people have a mostly positive or negative effect on America?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mark1031, Jul 27, 2018.

?

Do white people have a mostly positive or negative effect on America?

1. positive

22 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. negative

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  1. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

2. Peuri

Peuri Game

Ouch, is this post assuming Estonians = Finns? That's kind of offensive for someone somewhere, possibly. :mischief:

On a more serious note, I'm saddened that we Baltic Finns are not descendent from the Mongols, after all they had the largest land empire to date. That certainly would be more interesting than being an amalgamation of the leftovers from around the Baltic.

3. Yeekim

Yeekim Moderator Moderator

Peuri likes this.
  4. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

makes sense... Ice age Europe was a helluva place to live and the Mediterranean would have been much nicer. I imagine there were many migrations of people following the ebb and flow of the ice sheets

5. adcarrymaokai

adcarrymaokai Emperor

We've been meme'd

6. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

This is a really bizarre post given that the definition referred to didn't include any of those words.

?!

7. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...44/racial-diversity-poll-twitter-white-people

8. danjuno

danjuno Emperor

The concept of white people is harmful because it's a lie. To rephrase what TF said, pretty much anybody not from an Anglo-Saxon background wasn't considered white for much of US history and many still identify by ethnicity rather than "race". So for these "white nationalist" clowns to go around talking about "white pride" as if white were a single coherent group is utterly moronic.

The twitter poll in OP is world-class trolling, though.

9. adcarrymaokai

adcarrymaokai Emperor

I identify as white, and I don't see any problem with it. My people weren't considered white a hundred years ago, but were quickly absorbed into whiteness to set them against black and brown people, and at this point in time anyone of European descent is automatically white.

I bet the same people who get offended when being called "white" because "ThE iRiSh WeRe SlAvEs ToO!" call everyone black, asian, and 'hispanic" without considering how Chinese/Japanese folks are treated differently from Filipinos or Indians today in 2018, or that black people may have roots in various different tribes of Africa. I mean, being mad at being considered white is itself a manifestation of privilege. It's like a rich person getting mad for being called wealthy.

Lexicus likes this.
  10. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

you do realize that turkey is (partially) European? I do not think most people would say the Turkish are white, and skin-color wise they are definitely not the same as central Europeans. You do realize that many (especially) on the far right do not even consider "slavs" or other east-eurasian people, or balkans people white (while others seem to have a huge boner for russia)?

your strawman in the 2nd paragraph also does nothing to help your point. the comparison falls flat aswell. whether or not someone is wealthy is objectively measurably, you count the money, count the assets and compare them to country or world average. whether or not someone is white is entirely cultural and subject to change.

11. adcarrymaokai

adcarrymaokai Emperor

If you bothered looking up how the US Census Bureau defines "white" in the 21-st century, you would find the following:
    • White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as "White" or report entries such as Irish, German, English, Scandinavian, Scottish, Lebanese, Near Easterner, Arab, or Polish.
    So yeah, Turkish people are ethnically "white" in the United States. The only reason why they aren't (yet) considered fully white is Islamophobia and Islamoracism.

That's not a strawman. That's a frequent white people argument, and since I live in the US, I just see it myself. Do you live in the US, btw? If not, maybe it's not your place to talk.

And while it's true that racial categories aren't stable and change over time, I am talking about them today, in 2018. I am not debating about race in the 19-th century, for the record. Plus, what is wealthy is also relative to the overall wealth of the masses. Back in the day someone was wealthy just owning a cottage and 3 cows, but it's not so now.

12. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Lol. I was going to say, that stuff you are saying, is much more true in the US than in Europe.

13. adcarrymaokai

adcarrymaokai Emperor

Honestly, pretty tired of uppity clueless Europeans trying to teach us about our racial problems. Like... sort your own issues, boo, before coming for us. Last I visited, Polish and other Eastern Europeans worked at hotels and in other service jobs, while Turks, Arabs, and blacks were harassed by the police in their ghettos, while European proud bois are marching in the streets trying to reclaim "Aryan" Europe.

The only time Europeans are proud of those African immigrants is when they win a soccer match, but that's none of my business.

14. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

jung isn't an uppity clueless European, really. There's no need to make this into a contest over which society is more racist. Racism works a little differently in Europe than it does here and it's useful to acknowledge that.

15. adcarrymaokai

adcarrymaokai Emperor

Yeah, but I am originally from Europe, and yet you won't see me going around giving advice on how Europeans should define their racial categories. But people from Europe feel entitled teaching us about racism.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  16. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

Yes, if there's one thing Americans are known for is keeping their opinions to themselves and not sticking their noses in other people's business. It's not like the US publishes reports on the human rights conditions of every single country in the world, or American academics try to teach locals everywhere just how racist and sexist they are.

No, Americans are very discreet and keep to themselves. Which is probably why there is no resentment whatsoever towards the US.

17. adcarrymaokai

adcarrymaokai Emperor

I wasn't talking from the standpoint of the US government, but about myself specifically. Not sure which part of my post you did not comprehend, but you are welcome to read it again and again until you get it.

18. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Well if that was you wanted to say, that's not how it comes across. Specifically because of the latter part of your post. First you talk about yourself, but then you say "People from Europe feel entitled teaching us about racism."

That switch very much sounds like you're setting up a dichotomy between the Europeans who just can't keep their opinions for themselves and the Americans who are not at all known for having to tell the whole world what they think from their America-centric point of view.

19. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I think that racism (and the debate about it) is very different in the US and in Europe. For starters, virtually all (but not entirely all) euro countries are based historically on specific "ethnic groups" (not examining national mythology here; just the groups/language/history). Furthermore, there wasn't a significantly large ethnic minority in the surviving states (the multi-ethnic empires were split at some point, and so was Yugoslavia).
    Imo there is more (and worse, in general) racism in Europe than in the US. But there is also far less influence from Europe to how anyone deals with racism, whereas the US actively exports its multicultural dogma, which in many cases is not viable in euro countries. I mean... i do identify the many eu countries that hate immigrants as racist, but i wouldn't force them to be actually multicultural; i just am amazed that they don't even want a few hundreds of immigrants (THAT is indeed racist, and not about democratic decisions at all). Baltic microstates/Finland, Poland, Hungary, Austria and such nations are just openly racist at this point.

20. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

Nobody here cares about you specifically, though. The US government and US academics routinely judge the whole planet according to their standards, and try to explain to other countries and cultures why they are racist and sexist and violators of human rights and should all just yearn to be a multicultural paradise like the US.

So don't act surprised when people from outside the US apply their own views and definitions to US issues.