1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you accept Death Penalty?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JJP, May 27, 2003.

?

1. No

40 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Yes

30 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. JJP

JJP Great Player

Here in Finland and in EU death penalty is no longer in use. I was just wondering do people in general accept death penalties.

I don't. If the convicted is found later innocent but is already dead then there's nothing to do. :(

2. Stapel

Stapel FIAT 850 coupé

In some cases I would accept. I simply think some crimes are so terrible, that death is an acceptable solution.

But the crimes that I am thinking of are so little in number in any western european country, that it has no purpose to make a law for it.

3. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

I don't reject the death penalty in principle. Sometimes, a society needs harsh laws because of weak organiztional structures and internal insecurity. If criminal executions prevent the creation of bloodfeuds, or if political executions prevent civil war, then both can be acceptable.

But in the West, the death penalty is not needed and we can afford to lock them up for life.

4. Thadlerian

Thadlerian Dreamin' of a RED X-mas!

Never. Death penalty solves nothing. It's not punishment, it's just revenge. I can't see what is to be gained with it.

5. Mikoyan

Mikoyan Digimortal

I'm generally against the death penalty, but might support it in individual cases/when i am extremely mad at the person in question. :)

6. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

Well, I gave you two circumstances where it can solve something. ;)

7. Thadlerian

Thadlerian Dreamin' of a RED X-mas!

What can execution solve, that a prison can't?

8. Ancient Grudge

Ancient Grudge Its all in this life

Yes i would for serious crfimes such as rape and murder......

9. G-Man

G-Man A One Man's War

I personally don't think a death penalty is much worst than being locked up for life in cases where there's no doubt that the guilt of the person in question. I don't see why should the state fund mass murderers and provide them for the rest of their lifes with the money of the people they were trying to kill.

10. Pillager

Pillager League of Empire Loyalist

Agreed.

11. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

In most nations, the governments do not have the administrative and technologically sophisticated frameworks that enable western governments to be so powerful. In many countries, if someone is murdered, the custom will demand justice, so imprisoning the culprit will not satisfy the victim's kin or end the "bloodfeud". The enraged parties might proceed to massacre the culprit's friends and family, and the survivors might reply in kind.

In the case of political executions, prison rarely eliminates sources of opposition to the government. If it is known that a government has imprisoned an opposition member, then imprisoned might become a figurehead for more opposition (like in South Africa). In the case of many countries, this could be disastrous. Take China for example. The Communist Party must dispose of oppostion because the consequences could be the most bloody civil war in history; hundereds of millions could die. The key is disposing with the opposition early on and preventing its emergence. The threat of executuion and torture prevent this.

12. Ancient Grudge

Ancient Grudge Its all in this life

Why should a rape victims family then pay for the offender to keep him locked up in a room with a bed, chair,desk, hot meals and if the offender is a model in-mate a tv and otehr such stuff.......

13. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

It provides security against the guilt of executing the "wrong man" and allows us all to feel good because we aren't killing people directly, in our own country.

14. G-Man

G-Man A One Man's War

I'd feel better knowing my money is being spent in protecting me from such people rather than in feeding them and providing them with books, tvs and computers.

15. polymath

polymath Tleilaxu Mentat

I'd say yes, let the punishment fit the crime. I would only apply this in cases where there is no doubt of guilt.

16. Simon Darkshade

Simon Darkshade Mysterious City of Gold

Yes, I am for it as punishment for a whole range of offences - murder, treason, rape, other sexual assault or misconduct, sedition, crimes against the state, terrorism, drug trafficking, sacrilege, organised crime and for chronic repeat offenders of lesser offences.
    It should be administered in a swift, public, savage and painful manner, with the corpse hung in irons in public squares as a reminder. The process should be streamlined with minimal appeals.

What does the death penalty do? It makes sure that those executed are not released and kill again. As has happened on far too many occasions.

17. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Simon, you forgot to include robbery, forgery, having sex before marriage, being married, and mispelling "Simon Darkshade" in the various offences that should be punished with death penatly :D

OT : On the principle, I'm opposed to it, first because there is always the possibility to condemn the wrong person, second because I don't feel the society should act with a desire of revenge nor should be allowed to kill, and thirdly because I believe in the value of rehabilitation.
    Now, on the emotional, human level, I just can't bear in mind the idea of letting someone alive after he's raped and killed my gf, or robbed and murdered my parents, and so on.
    I'm pretty much torn apart between my mind and my guts on this one...

18. Simon Darkshade

Robbery and forgery come under "repeat offences of a lesser nature". First time - a very heaving flogging, branding for forgery, and then real hard labour; these are more appropriate sanctions, depending on the situation. Obviously armed bank robbery would have the criminal swinging, whereas a break and enter would attract imprisonment. Each case is viewed on its merits.
    Sexual misconduct incorporates some of the ones ye mention, and being married is not a crime, as long as it is with permission, and any breeding occurs from proper stock.

There are some who cannot be rehabilitated, and are as guilty as sin, and deserve nothing less than death. Jeffrey Dahmer comes to mind, even though it took a while for him to meet his mop of fate.

19. Simon Darkshade

Robbery and forgery come under "repeat offences of a lesser nature". First time - a very heaving flogging, branding for forgery, and then real hard labour; these are more appropriate sanctions, depending on the situation. Obviously armed bank robbery would have the criminal swinging, whereas a break and enter would attract imprisonment. Each case is viewed on its merits.
    Sexual misconduct incorporates some of the ones ye mention, and being married is not a crime, as long as it is with permission, and any breeding occurs from proper stock.

There are some who cannot be rehabilitated, and are as guilty as sin, and deserve nothing less than death. Jeffrey Dahmer comes to mind, even though it took a while for him to meet his mop of fate.

20. Renata

Renata homicidal jungle cat GOTM Staff

Because we don't want the death of another human being on our conscience? Because in many cases (although not in the one close to me), the identity of the attacker may not be 100% certain, even if legally 'proved'? Because human life deserves respect, even in someone who doesn't respect the lives of others? Because it's not our right to judge matters of life and death, but should be left to God?

Renata