Do you believe in Heaven and Hell

Do you believe?

• Heaven and hell exist and they exist in black holes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I have it on good authority that heaven is a place on earth,

From the book of Carlisle:
Ooh heaven is a place on earth

There is also quite a bit of evidence that heaven is a place.
A place where nothing.
Nothing ever happens.

Heaven and hell are places made by man

Where is the "I am posting from hell" option? :confused:

Just think of it: An eternal discussion with people who refuse to listen to any of your arguments would be quite hellish. :D

Edit:
Googlemaps tells me Hell is a place in Michigan, and Hell is also a place outside Trondheim in Norway. I believe both locations freezes over every winter.

Then of course the Biblical hell is a valley in Jerusalem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gehenna

Not sure I've seen Heaven any place on Earth yet though...

No, and it kind of makes me sad that I don't believe in an after life. But only kind of.

From like 4-13 though, I swear the only reason I believed in a god was fear of hell, I tried to convince myself otherwise that I loved god for god like you're supposed to but oh boy. I did not love god at all. And I remember there was a show on FOX I think, about the second coming of Christ and it scared the heck out of me! I was really worried that I just might be one of the bad people sent to hell.
Hahaha I would also do this weird ritual at night where I would stay completely still in bed, making myself really uncomfortable and list all of the things I was thankful for to god in the same order each night to prove my devotion or something. Eventually I grew out of it.

Just think of it: An eternal discussion with people who refuse to listen to any of your arguments would be quite hellish. :D

Well while posting the thread I selected only 8 options ;) so no "I am posting from hell" option unless you think there is internet in hell.

Well while posting the thread I selected only 8 options ;) so no "I am posting from hell" option unless you think there is internet in hell.

Of course there is Internet in Hell, where do you think spam, trollz and /b/ users come from? :lol:

Incidentially, anybody know where the IP-range 6.6.6.x leads? :mischief:

Why no options for those who believe in heaven but not hell, or hell but not heaven for that matter?

I have in the past few years come to lean strongly towards the Doctrine of Conditional Immortality. This means the human soul is not naturally mortal, cannot survive apart from God, and thus those who are not redeemed do not face eternal torment but rather non-existence. Hell in a traditional sense does not exist. The term could however still be used to mean the state of non-existence or the process of the soul's death.

The term heaven can refer to many things, such as the sky, outer space, or the dwelling place of god and angels. I often think of the term is roughly analogous to time space continuum, of which there are many which are all ruled by God. It would probably be closest to being viewed as in another dimension, or dimensions, but that still isn't quite right. The nature of heaven is not that important though. It's not like anyone is going to go there after death anyway. Eventually the heavens will pass away along with the Earth, as they are replaced by the New Heaven and Hew Earth.

When we die we just die, cease to exist. Whether there is such thing as an immaterial soul that could survive physical death does not really matter, but it might as well not exist. The bible itself is clear that the dead do nothing, sense nothing, know nothing, and are not conscious. There is no such thing as reincarnation, but rather The Resurrection. In the last days God will revive every one who ever lived, or rather recreate us simply from memory. We will then face judgment based on our deeds in life. All will be given a finite punishment for each of their finite sins, with mercy shown to those who sinned out of ignorance and who repented. After this those who did not accept the gift of everlasting life will simply perish, while those in Christ will be glorified in immaculate, incorruptible new bodies in which to live forever on the New Earth.

That's funny I just bought the album today! For real. :D

(we are talking about Black Sabbath, right?)

Edit:
Googlemaps tells me Hell is a place in Michigan, and Hell is also a place outside Trondheim in Norway. I believe both locations freezes over every winter.

Then of course the Biblical hell is a valley in Jerusalem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gehenna

Not sure I've seen Heaven any place on Earth yet though...

The valley is real place but it was used in a symbolic way since that was the place where the Jews would burn their rubbish. It was not a pleasant place and thus it was a good way to describe what hell would be like.

You do know there is an option to modify how many options there are, ranging from 2 to 25, right?

I'm posting from heaven because CFC is heaven on Earth :love:

Hell is reserved for Satan and all the fallen angels as well as those souls that die unreconciled to God and without the state of grace. Hell is eternal and any soul consigned there is there for eternity without reprieve or hope.

Didn't vote. You are sort of missing a 'Nirvana' type afterlife where it is all one realm, but you receive the benefits (or consequences) of your earthly actions in one 'realm' of existance.

Most likely what occurs is that you experience "Nirvana" moments (maybe fractions of seconds) just before your brain quits then nothing.

That said, an iterative loop with reincarnation until enlightenment seems like a good idea.

while (not_final_stage_of_enlightenment) {
life.rebirth() // keep being reincarnated until you reach the final stage of enlightenment
} // end while

Neither. I find the concept of an eternal self/identity hard to grasp and hard to find desirable. And i think the concept of Hell says a lot more about religion than anything else (in a bad way). Hell was made up as a threat and scare tactic, just as an intangible reward was for the weak and weary. In my opinion, Heaven and Hell only show how much religion is based on irrationality and our own ignorance.

It's like how people say there are no atheists in fox holes. Religious people say this as if it's something to be proud of! I don't get it, that just shows how irrational it is.

But yeah. It's really hard to even explain that Heaven and Hell are places to begin with, without saying something really stupid, like they are "outside" of the universe (outside of outside?)

Some sort of reward/punishment lasting for eternity seems way to unbalanced for something that you do over the span of a few decades. Even the most genocidal, evil, maniac could ever torture another person for that long. What does that say about god or whatever it is that punishes?

Its a scare tactic and a ruse to lure converts.

Top Bottom