1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you believe they actually play tested Civ 6?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by tanktop4158, Dec 8, 2016.

1. tanktop4158

tanktop4158 Chieftain

1.I mean for any length of time to get a feel of playability?...it seems not, like we their mass consumers are the play-testers

I see so much wrong with actually playing the game many turns...just so numerous to list.

2. I think after years of patches and upgrades we may actually have a decent game to play. I believe Fraxis will actually work things out......just annoying they released this game so unfinished IMO

Zuizgond and sanchopanda like this.
  2. darkace77450

darkace77450 Emperor

Honestly? No. They tested it in person enough to ensure find and eliminate major bugs and to ensure the UI was clean and neat enough for players to utilize, but I suspect they did most of the AI fine-tuning via running simulated games and analyzing the data post-game.

Tiger Genocide and Dearmad like this.
  3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

• It's disingenuous to assume they didn't playtest the game or that the testers are somehow incompetent. Dev companies don't fix every bug they find for a variety of reasons. Usually, it's because the fix can't be implemented before launch. Each one is subjected to a careful calculus to decide what to do about it. They know what they didn't fix and how much that affects their bottom line, which is far more important to them than customer satisfaction.

RawlsRorty likes this.
  4. ThERat

ThERat Deity

The better question would be: did the review companies play beyond a few hours before giving it 5/5 ratings?

5. drubell

drubell Prince

Of course they did. Though I don't know what you mean by "unfinished." Would you like to explain what you mean by "unfinished" so there can be a proper discussion? If what's wrong is "too numerous to list," would you like to explain some of them in order to stimulate an actual discussion?

The game had a stable launch on all systems and also launched with a stable multiplayer on its release build. This is almost always indicative of a very solid playtesting phase. So I hope that answers your question.

nzcamel likes this.
  6. ColPaladin

ColPaladin Chieftain

It looks to me they ran tests with AIs vs AIs. But humans? If they did use humans, they need to use ones with sight instead in the future. AI don't complain about no Sentry; No build Cue; No trade route reassign; No continuous project setting; no auto reassign spies; or that the other AI are acting loony. But humans notice that sort of thing quickly. As, as has already been show, non-corporate humans can fix those problems pretty fast too.

So many UI and Gamplay features left out, it's unbelievable. I and my friend noticed a laundry list of them in just a couple hours of play (as did thousands of other players), so how could they have possibly missed them? And modders and programmers found ways to jury-rig fixes in a week or two, so why is it taking them MONTHS to fix their own game themselves?

Only an Eloi would think this game was released "just fine".

7. drubell

drubell Prince

I agree that the game's UI could use some facelifting (in my recent post history I wrote a post showing my frustration with the game's UI lying/deceiving/not explaining the player with harbors, archeologists, trade routes, and the culture victory). The lack of a build queue, reassign for trade routes, etc are also systems that I wish was implemented in the UI. But these issues aren't the matter of playtesters. These issues are more indicative of lack of foresight from the UI design team.

As far as the "jury-rigging," I'd suspect most of the issues you mention are fixed (it wouldn't be too difficult to do so) which makes me believe that there have been some major redesigns on some core gameplay systems that the UI team is working with the design team with, which would obsolete any "jury-rigging" the players have made.

[EDIT: When I wrote "fixed" in the previous paragraph, I meant to write that the problems were fixed, but not committed an upcoming build yet)]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  8. bbbt

bbbt Deity

You can look through the credits yourself: . The have a significant QA test group listed, though those would've been focused on bugs (i.e. does it work like X more than should it work like X). And the game has not had many actual bugs. The 'Frankenstein' group listed I believe would be there betatest group that probably gave more playtesting feedback (and included posters in these very forums!)

Interestingly, the credits list far more animators and graphics than developers. There's only one AI developer listed, and he's also listed as a game dev. I'm sure there were many more issues found than that had time to fix.

And, hey they have a UI developer job opening: https://chp.tbe.taleo.net/chp04/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=GAMES2K&cws=41&rid=1606 Requires moving to baltimore though.

Honestly, I'm sort of bemused by these sorts of threads. Have people not bought other games right after release? Heck, have people not bought any piece of software, new operating system, anything right after release? This games is pretty bug-free comparatively. This is how the entire industry works. It's how it has always worked.

nzcamel, megabearsfan and narmox like this.
  9. ThERat

ThERat Deity

Not prior to mass penetration of the www

10. Lewi11

Lewi11 Chieftain

Nowhere near enough. When a few simple player-made mods can fix some bugs and balance issues within only weeks of the game's release, you know they haven't tested it enough.

sanchopanda, Zuizgond and Dustbrother like this.
  11. drubell

drubell Prince

QA and playtesters don't make mods to fix bugs or balance the game unless they make the mods for their own personal use. Again, playtesters are not responsible for what you're claiming they didn't do. If you have a complaint about something, direct that complaint to the appropriate party.

QA is not responsible for balancing the game you subjectively feel it's supposed to be balanced.

nzcamel likes this.
  12. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Playtesters test bugs and compatibility, game stability. These are the primary concerns and yes they mention potential game issues but that does not mean they get fixed.

So when the major issues are on the higher levels with good skills required to play at they may have decided that was acceptable as they had promised to release on date x anyway.

I would rather play the game now in its current state than 6 months down the line or perhaps never because wages are so high.

nzcamel and Mr. Shadows like this.
  13. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

...because wages are so high. Right.

By the way, game mechanics is not a bug. Absence of unit keys is not a bug. Those are basic design flaws.

jekke and Dearmad like this.
  14. Victoria

I did say they tested bugs....thats what they do. You just answered the post in the same way I did. Do not blame the testers. They will have tested it. This is a Firaxis board decision.

15. Gub

Gub Chieftain

For your information, such games usually have detailed designed documents, go through rigorous design process, and developed by professionals who many times spend years living and breathing their games. And usually when I hear oneliner rants and cries of outrage about how stupid\incompetent the devs from players who know better after just a couple hours of play, those end up being nothing but pretentious pissants who who knows nothing about anything.

Moderator Action: Welcome to CivFanatics. Our number one goal is to maintain civility in discussions in our family friendly forum. Calling other "pretentious pissants" is not civil and is considered trolling. Please find more civil way to express yourself. Thanks. leif
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2016
    nzcamel likes this.
  16. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Do people no longer read posts they think they are commenting on? I didn't even mention "playtesters".

17. Victoria

18. Lewi11

Lewi11 Chieftain

Ok. Excuse my ignorance. I just assumed testers would be responsible for testing if important parts of the game worked properly or not prior to release. I would have thought that was exactly what QA was by definition. Obviously not. Anway, I guess I should blame Firaxis as a whole rather than targeting a group of people.

19. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Yes, the game probably went through playtesting.

Yes, the game probably with through actual testing (i.e. bug testing).

The end result does not mean said testing did not happen. It simply means that not everything could be fixed or completed to the (tight) deadline that most games developers are held to these days.

nzcamel and c4c6 like this.
  20. bmrigs

bmrigs Chieftain

Here is my theory on this. I believe Firaxis put out an incomplete product knowing fans were going to mod the game to their liking anyways, so why put all this time and effort into it. Secondly, they release it out to their stooges who then review it on youtube without them being critical of the various issues that it suffers from. This is the nature of games these days - little effort, heavy on the b.s., and suckers like you and I who buy it as soon as it makes itself available.

Eurik and Lewi11 like this.