1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you believe they actually play tested Civ 6?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by tanktop4158, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

I could answer to all of your points but it's late and I'm tired, so here's to this and then I'll sleep:
    I was astounded when I checked the steam achievements and learned that only 10% got a victory on king level or higher... I didn't expect that and thought figures to be much higher for higher levels.
    I'm sure conveniently 85% of ALL the players just stop playing the game because it's too clear they'll win. Who would ever want to win a game so easy, right? ^^
    And secondly everybody playing below emperor is just part of the aforementioned bunch of idiots. Surely no one can actually enjoy this game because you don't....

To be clear : a lot of work still needs to be done on CiVI but yes : That's not exklusively because of us here at civfanatics.

Lewi11 likes this.
  2. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

Sure they did. But the thing is, game changes greatly during development, so there is no long term of playtime between each iteration.

I doubt that final iteration was played more then couple of weeks before release.

3. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Ultimately in terms of bugs, I think Civ VI was a much bigger success than Civ V, so I give kudos there.

Ultimately I think the issues of balance and UI are more about development time than testing. Its about cost vs profit, ultimately the truth is that most people don't need that polish to enjoy the game, to get to the rest of us takes a lot of extra development effort...and in today's market that doesn't work.

4. RoFortaleza

RoFortaleza Chieftain

^^ This

5. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

I certainly think they playtested Civ VI quite a bit, but I'm not sure they had enough high-level players playtest it. It would have only taken one or two games for a Deity player to be certain that this game was very easy relative to past Civ games. Given the current level of the AI, the Deity bonuses clearly need to be higher, and I have to think Firaxis would have caught that if they had had a few elite players playtesting.

Lewi11 likes this.
  6. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

That is very likely, actually. Sure, 85% is a high percentage, but 50%? I would bet on it.

I have played Civilization IV for hundreds upon hundreds of hours. I think I have finished... Well... Zero games...

Lewi11 likes this.
  7. calad

calad Emperor

Good luck getting critical replies towards civ6 in civ6 fan forum.

I pointed this out well before civ6 came out that likely firaxis has no ability or will to make civ games balanced and well functional. Civ5 multiplayer was just a mess that never worked well and it simply became imposible after third expansion. Matter is, they dont invest resources because they dont have to. Civ6 sold well and is well played, so despite lack of development it sold well so you players will never got a good ai and well functioning system. They got money, they dont need to invest anymore on it.

Lewi11 likes this.
  8. BrendanVI

BrendanVI Chieftain

don't ever trust a millennial to test a game that was out before they were born.
    What you want is a guy holding an accordion with long jet black hair, who says no to the gym and yes to the chair. ;)

jekke likes this.
  9. BrendanVI

BrendanVI Chieftain

last I checked, over $80 million minus the retailer cut and overhead in sales.

10. Lewi11

Lewi11 Chieftain

Sounds sad but probably true.

For me, honestly, I could cope with all the little bugs and balance issues if they could at least just improve the AI to a point where they are at least a threat. I only started playing Civ V a few years after release. While Civ V AI wasn't perfect, at least when they advanced a large force which well outnumbered mine, they would likely annex a city. I could still exploit their lack of intelligence sometimes but at least I was forced to actually raise and use a defence force.

Playing Civ VI is like playing tennis with someone not even interested in hitting the ball back.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  11. DizzKneeLand33

DizzKneeLand33 Fall from Heaven 2 still rocks

Exactly. Playing Civ VI is like playing fetch with a cat....

Lewi11 likes this.