Do you bite your finger nails?

Do you bite your finger nails?

• Yes

Votes: 33 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 37 52.9%

• Total voters
I did until about 6 months ago. I did it because it was easier than finding a nail clipper. then I chipped a tooth. Now I don't do it anymore.

i bit my fingernails when i was like 9, but no more. if i had a piano lesson and my nails weren't short enough, my instructor would use tiny scissors to cut them. so i'd bite them on the way over.
my father bites his toenails. =\

I may have bitten my nails on one or two occasions. Meaning not bitting my nails for seconds but just two random occasions in my life that i put my nails in my mouth an accidentally bitten them for a fraction of the second. As a result i feel in an indescribably way , a superior person compared to those who have ever bitten their nails for more than three seconds at any point of their intelligent life.

Select bellow :

(post not meant to be taken as serious)

I don't "bite" compulsively in the conventional sense, but I do use my teeth to trim them. So I 'bite' them around once every two days. I've found it makes them far smoother and symmetric than a conventional nail-cutter.

No, i used to but i stopped - it was quite simple. I just replaced it with another nervous tick. Biting the skin off the tips of my fingers. Takes practice to know when you're going to deep tho. I dont even remember when i actually reached the blood ... Anyway - the good thing about both of these is that even tho they were/are both compulsive i can NEVER bite them while outside the house. It'd be disgusting.
But I pick my fingernails with other fingernails. Not pretty.
Isn't that ... normal. :scared:

I do. Any psych folk around? I bet Freud would call it an oral fixation. Any nailbiters here also smoke?

Yes I'm a biter , I'm trying to stop but it's not easy. The best way i have figured out is to just keep my fingernails really short. Unfortunately I sometimes bite the fleshy parts of my fingers instead. :blush:
I bite the flesh off anyway. Infact, I bite it more than my nails...

I did until about a year or two ago, which was around when I was 18-20 or so. I got tired of having my fingers look like . .. .. .. ., so I just up and decided to stop. I nibble on them occasionally now, but thats typically only when I get hungry and want something to chew on. Then I need to actively tell myself to stop.

Nein.

It's repulsive.

Nah, only very, very rarely, and even then only for a few bites, not a habit at all. I think a 'people who crack your their knuckles' might be an intersting poll to see.

Impressive and disgusting!

Question: Looking at the nails of certain people who bite, I have seen that there only remains a bit left, say, a mere 4 or 5 mm attached to the finger. Now, if a biter were to stop biting and let the nail grow out to, say, a normal 12 or 14 mm, would there be 4 mm of live nail attached and 10 mm of white, detached from the finger, nail?

It seems that it's 50 / 50!

Excellent! With a few hanging chads, fingernail biters could rule the world!

No I don't you get ugly nails from it. Used to when I was a kid though. Both finger and toe nails.

I voted yes, but I prefer to employ someone to do it for me.:D

Question: Looking at the nails of certain people who bite, I have seen that there only remains a bit left, say, a mere 4 or 5 mm attached to the finger. Now, if a biter were to stop biting and let the nail grow out to, say, a normal 12 or 14 mm, would there be 4 mm of live nail attached and 10 mm of white, detached from the finger, nail?
Huh? 12 to 14mm is way too long for nails... even girls don't grow them that long. Long nails are easier to damage (and believe me, if you've ever ripped one of your nails off your skin, you'll know how painful it can be). Mine have less than 1mm of white nail (from where they leave the skin).

My brother used to do that, but he would first clip them off and then go at them. He used have a big pile to chew on. I just found that too gross to even do it, but now he has stopped even biting his fingernails. I have tried and failed so many times.

Top Bottom