1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you choose your Civ?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Reg Pither, Apr 13, 2011.

?

How do you choose your Civ?

1. Always choose

31 vote(s)
    27.4%
  2. Always random

21 vote(s)
    18.6%
  3. Mostly choose

22 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. Mostly random

24 vote(s)
    21.2%
  5. However the mood takes me

15 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Reg Pither

Reg Pither Warlord

I was just wondering how others play the game, as one does, and here's something I've seen differing opinions on. :)

2. Riflin'Joe

Riflin'Joe Prince

I am trying to complete my own personal ALC (I imagine there are many others trying this also), so I always choose my leader.

3. Hortulanus

Hortulanus Chieftain

When I move up to a new level of difficulty, I'll choose a financial leader for the first few games, then switch to random leaders after I've got a sense of how the new level differs.

4. twansalem

twansalem Warlord

I'm a wonder addict, which means two things:

1. I usually choose my leader, and when I do, I'm most likely to choose an industrious leader.
    2. I rarely play at difficulties above Prince.

5. yturk39

yturk39 Warlord

I almost always pick the Civ I want to play. That's not to say I don't play different ones often. Picking the Civ is part of the fun for me, I guess...

Sometimes I just want games with a certain feel. Sometimes it's Middle East, sometimes it's Far East, and sometimes its Old Europe, and sometimes it's Meso-American.

6. TheMulattoMaker

TheMulattoMaker Dictator of RF

I kinda stack the deck for myself, I guess- I almost always tailor-make my leader/civ combo based on whatever type of game I'm trying to play. Usually I'll pick the map type first, decide on a strategy, and pick whatever leader and civ would work best for it.

7. mynystry

mynystry jaguar warrior from hell

I usually choose Aztecs or Mayans to remember those times of mexican glory long gone :p But sometimes I play with random civ, but if I got a 'current' civ (american, english, french, etc) I would reload to get an old one. I like to play with ancient civs, like the Greeks, Egypt, Babylon, etc.

One thing that annoys me about my fav. civ, The Aztecs, is that I never profit the UB, sacrificial altars, since i usually never run slavery. And UU Jaguars are only useful if you have jungle or forest around. It really sucks they are weaker than swordmen and Aztecs cannot build swords even if one has iron.

If I knew how, I would make sacrifical altars to reduce unhappinness while sacrificing running slavery, but also give some other bonus while running another civic. Vor example one more spionage point, or further reduce mantainance, or a happy face, or something!

And I would make Jaguars same strong as swords, without need of iron or copper. Or leave them with same strenght but give you the chance to choose the promotion, guerrilla or woodman depending of your geography. And Jaguars should be strength 6 if they have iron

Mayan UB is great, but UU is too weak. Maybe if they were cheaper to build than spearman that could compensate

8. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

Always random. For me, the challenge (and enjoyment) lies in preparing for the unknown, in adapting one's strategies to unforseeable events, in being flexible and creative and competent enough to deal with things that can't be planned for.

I know there are others who meticulously plan the details of their strategy, choose leaders, opponents, and map features supporting it, and then enjoy to see their plans put in motion. But I don't enjoy this way of playing, to me it feels like painting by numbers. There isn't really a feeling of challenge and excitement if I'm just following a pre-determined plan, and there's no real satisfaction after winning either because I always know that I've stacked the deck in my favor in the first place.

9. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

i choose most of the time, depends on my mood and what type of game i'm playing. sometimes i'll play unrestricted leaders and make it an even better combo. sometimes i'll play advanced starts, so playing with certain civilizations won't make any sense.

10. xenex

xenex Prince

Almost always random, unless im trying something specific out.Almost always unresctricted leaders too.I like to not know what im going to get so its a surprise for me and I have to think about how im gonna go with the civ/leader, having unrestricted too adds even more to this as the game might give me combos I haven't though about, besides the really obvious ones like Boudica of Rome.

Im surprised random has so few votes I expected many more people to play random then there is people that choose their civ, maybe that's just down to the poll still being new and not that many people have voted, so we'll see.

11. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

Almost always random. Part of the fun for me. Usually pick only if moving up a level, generally Mehmed in that situation.

12. ecuwins

ecuwins Emperor

Random unless I'm moving out of my comfort zone. Then it's someone creative. I think Cathrine is my fav.

13. ABCDPuppies

ABCDPuppies Warlord

Usually random -- I like to be challenged.

But sometimes I'll pick if I'm trying to optimize a certain strategy.

14. Diviner

Diviner Prince

Always random.

Exception is Multiplayer with my brother because the game engine would always choose Japan for me and Portugal for him and even the same opponents. So we choose civs according to a true random generator numbers :)

15. Clam Spammer

Clam Spammer Prince

I almost always choose, since I can't stand getting the same civ or even the same trait twice in a row. Of course, I choose some leaders more often than others... (*cough* Huayna *cough*) Plus what TheMulattoMaker said about stacking the deck applies here too :mischief:. When I feel like a challenge instead of a casual game though (admittedly quite rarely), then I will go random.

16. Optical

Optical The Fall of the Eleventh

However the mood takes me.

17. JoeHollywood

JoeHollywood Warlord

When I'm not playing scenarios, I love playing with random leaders for random civs with the unrestricted leaders option.

Of course, for some strange reason I always feel both giddy and dirty when I get weird combos.

18. Knightly_

Knightly_ Warlord

Always random on immortal at the moment. However, when i get a leader i played in the last few games i usually restart the game.

19. kdalibor

kdalibor Chieftain

I like Justinian and Peter the Great, but I think I will try random from now on.

20. vornan19

vornan19 Chieftain

Always random, unless it's OCC when I'll go for someone with the IND trait. When I first started playing I was choosing the same few leaders every time and it became very stale.