1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do You Enjoy Civilization V

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Jharii, Oct 25, 2010.

?

Do you enjoy the game and experience that Civilization V provides?

1. Yes

434 vote(s)
    58.4%
  2. No

309 vote(s)
    41.6%
  1. Jharii

Jharii King

You might be right. And I will be the first to admit that I was incorrect in my assessment. But at least I do have some foundation, not just pure speculation. And at least I have made the effort to try to substantiate my belief rather than just continuing to speculate.

But to some people, nothing is ever good enough.

2. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

That's about how many hours I played before I got bored with it. It wasn't that I wasn't enjoying any of those 70 hours - I was, for a while - and as I logged more time in the game, that enjoyment decreased to the point where it felt more like work than fun, so I stopped playing it. (The necessary disclaimer: That doesn't mean Civ5 is an awful game, that Civ5 players are stupid, that Firaxis 'dumbed-down' Civ, or that I hate anyone or anything. I just stopped. having. fun. with. it.)

I'm not taking sides here; this discussion is mostly speculation and conjecture anyway. I'm just providing an example given the quote above. Carry on :p

3. vandyr

vandyr Prince

I get bored with games too, no matter how much I enjoy them. But, to put it into perspective, I'm a die hard Civ 5 fan and I only have 52 hours played, while this guy that supposedly can't find any enjoyment in it has over 70 hours played. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

4. Toulouse

Toulouse Warlord

As I got deeper into the game, I found it disappointing. There's a "tipping point" I suppose in every game where the player finds immersion or doesn't. I have no desire to play Civ V now. Perhaps some day, after patches, changes, mods etc., I'll give it another try.

5. sketch162000

sketch162000 Warlord

He's desperately trying to get his $60 worth...Same thing is happening to me though not 70 hours, admittedly. The game bores me to sleep but a keep playing, just trying to find a hint of the fun that you fervent "die-hard Civ 5 fans" seem to enjoy...

6. C~G

C~G Untouchable

For me it really doesn't make a difference if those 18,000 are really enjoying while playing.

I didn't speculate why so high number but more in line how many might enjoy it really.

Who knows, it might be 50,000 in a month. ;)

Personally I would like to have some decent figures how many like Civ V REALLY or what kind of rating it could have.
    It seems according to these polls it's something like bit over 60 percent.

7. Jharii

Jharii King

And you're right on all accounts here.

And personally, nothing would please me more to see that number go up to 75/80/90% because that would definitely mean I have more options moving forward. I.e. more people for multiplayer, more potential for quality mods, more chance for future expansions, and so on.

I only posted this poll because I wanted at least some kind of "unbiased" barometer and it's the closest that I could come to this.

8. C~G

C~G Untouchable

Well, I liked this poll. Very straightforward with question that leaves little for imagination or speculation.

I have thought about some "rate Civ V" (0-5) poll in this forum though. There was one already...but difference would be that it would give note to people that how they rate the game if it would be patched fully (bugs, flaws fixed but no additional elements added).

But it's also speculation how accurate forum polls are, how people rate something based into consideration that game is patched and also people might be sick of these polls already. ;)

9. Grimberht

Grimberht Chieftain

No, it's boring

Maybe they'll fix it

Yes I hope they do.

10. JLoZeppeli

JLoZeppeli Prince

As i stated, some people having fun by ranting are in account, but the most have left the section for sure, as the iv IV section tells me...

But i can say that the group ranting because of the ranting are annoying too, as the "best civ ever" newsboys, of course... I think 2K don't need any free advertisement for their games (and somewhat i don't understad the reason behind chanting the loving theme; if i love something, of course i don't care of critics, probably i'm playing and i don't need to bash for that the whiners, those have their reasons to complain...)

11. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

And nobody knows whether they are playing or not.
    My game is running in the background, too (the first time since Monday, btw). So, I am counted as well, but I am not playing.

And actually, I have stopped "playing" since the first week, all what I am doing since then is testing game mechanics and different approaches.

12. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

I enjoy playing Civ5, but I enjoy modding it even more (only simple XML stuff so far). But when I finish the current version of my mod, I hope I'll start to fully enjoy playing.

13. JLoZeppeli

JLoZeppeli Prince

Funny that are two games in the following, Football Manager 2011 demo and Football Manager 2010, and calling it streamlined is blasphemy...:lol:

14. Jharii

Jharii King

LOL. To be honest, those games have some really eerie popularity for some reason.

15. vandyr

vandyr Prince

Because its football season :p

16. charon2112

charon2112 King

I believe the opposite is true here. Most people who enjoy the game are playing and spending less time on the forum. Conversely, people who hate the game are tripping over themselves to get to the forum to complain about it. In short, the game's detractors haven't gone anywhere.

No, actually, I am absolutely right about this. No matter how anyone spins it, this poll show that the majority of this forum members (who represent Civ's most serious fans) are enjoying the game. My statement was absolutely correct. People who hate Civ V in no way represent any kind of majority.

I'll admit, I misspoke here. I should have made it clear that I meant the biased polls.

This is just strange. People who dislike a game as much as you have shown to in your posts, would have un-installed it, not put 70+ hours into it.

Again, no way...this is only my opinion of course, but it seems that most of the people populating the forum right now are here to lodge complaints.

17. Axxon

Axxon Chieftain

Well sir your post places me in a conundrum.

I don't particularly enjoy the game. So here I think to myself, either I:

a) put my vote on the poll, hereby very much proving your point, which implies the poll is flawed

or

b) I don't vote to avoid the trap, giving away my vote and hereby nudging the poll a bit on the positive side, which implies the poll is flawed since I didn't vote as I wanted.

What shall I do? I'm stuck in an logical infinite loop now! :borg:

18. charon2112

charon2112 King

Your post has almost nothing to do with what I wrote. If you aren't enjoying the game, then vote accordingly. I never told anyone not to vote. I was responding to someone who said that the poll was somehow invalid because Civ V detractors have left the forum. I disagreed.

19. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

I reckon I played the game for close to 70 hours in the first weekend I bought it but, to be fair, my enjoyment actually *waned* the longer I played it. My biggest beef remains the utterly obtuse AI & the fact that eventually the City-State "missions" ultimately become very boring & repetitive!

Aussie.

20. boredatwork

boredatwork Warlord

lol - irony:

Given this forum has 52k members and only ~520 or 1% have voted in the poll aren't you spining it yourself to support your own conclusion?