1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you ever build Angkor Wat?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by I_qua_I, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

No, because as Lyoncet said, your core cities should already be expanding culturally at a fast clip and gold should not be a problem to buy that one or two 100g tiles. Besides, placement of your other (few) cities should already be right near the desired luxuries. There are better than things to use resources on, esp. on higher difficulties when one is not wonder spamming.

2. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

But what if this happens?

Spoiler :

3. Lance of Llanwy

Lance of Llanwy King

I don't think Hagia Sophia is meant to be something you build if you already have a bunch of faith(that's the Grand Mosque's job). I think it's intended as a way to back-door yourself into founding a religion when you've spent the early-game doing other things(i.e. it's most powerful in situations where you wouldn't pop a prophet otherwise).
    It'd make sense for it to award a Cathedral instead of a temple though(or even any other faith building). The cathedral would sharpen its secondary focus(culture) nicely.
    Angkor Wat though? Even with a pagoda, it doesn't seem that great. The wonder itself needs to be more powerful, even if they just slap some faith on it, but even then, it comes at a bad time. There are better wonders unlocked on the same tech path, better wonders for the same beakers on other paths, and there are some powerful ones up the tech tree a little(Himeji Castle and Sistine Chapel, off the top of my head) further than it. You're usually going to have a better wonder to invest in, if you're investing in a wonder at all.

4. elprofesor

elprofesor Pluri-editing poster

The question is what kind of empire Angkor Wat is supposed to help... Tall empires (because they won't settle new cities to claim new resources), or wide empires (because they won't invest much in culture)? In both cases, it is weak, or at least not really useful.

Off the top of my head:
    -If AW is supposed to help tall empires, maybe it should also grant 2 extra culture for hexes on the third ring of any city (or maybe only the city that built it);
    -If AW is supposed to help wide empires, maybe it should also grant "free" cultural expansions, say 6 free hexes for every already settled city, and any city settled afterwards; and +1 culture per city (liberty style). That would constitute a good wonder for wide empires, IMHO;
    -Maybe a culture (or gold?) lump sum everytime one of your cities acquires a tile via culture? Say, everytime one of your cities acquires a hex, you gain as much culture as that city has hexes under its influence.
    -A faith or culture bonus to jungles?

I don't know, city borders bonuses are usually somewhat weak by themselves...

5. n00bxqb

n00bxqb Warlord

If I'm building tall, I'm building University > Oxford University before I even think about building Angkor Wat.

If I'm building wide, I'll usually build it in my capital as it helps get new cities established.

6. Big J Money

Big J Money Emperor

Weird, I was wondering this same thing today. It has to be to help new cities. Expanding in 8 turns instead of 10 can be useful for border cities, for example, if it means getting a lux 2 turns sooner. But it does seem pretty situational. The discount on purchasing seems like icing, unless you're America.

7. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

it's nice as the Inca because the good terrace sites are low priorities for the auto-expanding mechanism.

8. Bechhold

Bechhold King

Only if I have nothing else to build.

9. slobberinbear

slobberinbear Ursine Skald

It's good for Iroquois, to buy/expand onto those pesky forest tiles that the game doesn't ordinarily like. Plus Hiawatha usually has plenty of hammers to throw around. Not sure he has a real good shot of getting it at Emperor+ though if he prioritizes Metal Casting.

10. _invy_

_invy_ Warlord

I don't build it, doesn't seem interesting, I just buy the tiles I need.

11. Smokeybear

Smokeybear Emperor

If it doesn't get nabbed quickly, or if I'm ahead in techs, I'll grab it just so that my empire expands that much faster. It may not be a worldbeater, but getting more tiles more quickly is never a bad thing.

12. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

doesn't it reduce the cost of gold purchasing tiles as well?

13. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

The problem with angor wat is that it comes to late to become important..

If the angor wat was available at philosophy wich makes sence because it is a temple... I would built it because it can help you a lot in the long run.

Instead of building the national college I would try to built the angor wat and then settle new cities and get crazy borders...

at the time I hit education my core 4 (3) cities are allready placed

The tradiition opener is the strongest in the game because it comes EARLY thats why angor wat needs to come earlier

14. homerj

homerj Deity

It's a pretty situational wonder.

If you get stuck on a large island, it lets you spread borders with fewer cities. Good to stop the AI from trying to settle on it. You can save having to put down a couple of extra cities that have the sole purpose of taking up space.

15. zyx

zyx Prince

IIRC in vanilla AW was buildable as soon as you unlocked theology. Education is way too late.

Maybe AW is useful for emipres/players, that ignore culture at all - building no monuments, amphitheaters, etc. I'd like to know what the devs had in mind when deciding to go with Education.

Maybe they tested GnK from Renaissance era and wanted to expand quickly. ;-)

16. ense7en

ense7en n7

Nope, i think i've maybe built it once or twice in 800+ hours of playing.

Just not that useful, and far more important things to build around that time.