Do you ever levy city-state military?

I think it's only for the first time you levy a City State's military, but I'm not certain. I'm fairly confident that it's one-time only per City State, but whether it's also one time only for any City State I'd need to look up, and I'm away from the Civilopedia right now.

Yeah well... I don't trust the Civilopedia too much anyways, so... don't sweat it, I'll try ;-)

I use this against to invade another CS, and I tend to try to kill all of the troops in the war, or put them somewhere far away when the time bout to end. After that I invade that CS with my real troops lmao.

I use this against to invade another CS, and I tend to try to kill all of the troops in the war, or put them somewhere far away when the time bout to end. After that I invade that CS with my real troops lmao.

Funny this :lol:

Altough I find it counterproductive to spend envoys on a CS I want to conquer after ! Waste of energy :nono:

Once. By accident. Long pressed on the levy button on my iPad out of curiosity as to cost. While not at war and under no threat. Went back to the game and had a lot of extra units. Used them to keep my border secure while I concentrated on other things.

Touchscreens can be murder in a game like this. Autosave is your friend.(gotta be honest with yourself tho)

Did it because I had Foreign Ministry. Ended up using its knight to get Military Science eureka.

Ah yes... seems a waste or money to upgrade them to me, but I see your point... that DOES imply that the CS has more than 1 or 2 units though

Upgrading the units might make it a lot harder for your enemies to conquer the city. But I'm not fond of the current situation. The risk of losing your investment through suzerain change is now even bigger with Amani.
In my last game on a standard map there where three CS left. So everyone dumps their envoys and Amani on the same targets. City state mechanics are a mess at the moment. Even declared allies will attack a CS that your suzerain of.

I did it once to get the achievement.

I've done it to begin an offensive on a new continent before. I levied the CS, upgraded them from pretty much warriors, took a city, then built my own army. I'm pretty bad at domination though, I tend to rely on a single carpet of doom, and it would have taken me forever to reach the new landmass.

I have and it has gotten me out of losing cities when I had a weak army and I’ve used it to conquer other civs. A peacemonger at heart, went into the evil side with it (must admit that I enjoyed it) and I even got Germany off my back once (felt so good for some reason) in a vanilla game. I used it with Hong Kong when the Khmer violently attacked my peaceful Korean city with just one warrior last night. I will definitely use it strategically in the future.

I've done it a few times, but never accomplished much other than getting the achievement. Lately I've wondered, can you levy them while the CS is at war? One could declare a protectorate war and levy their troops. That might be fun, and expedient under the right circumstances.

My current game I've levied the military of two city-states on two separate occasions, both times to block my ally America from beating them senseless, since I didn't have any troops to move to surrounding positions. So I just took theirs, sat them around the city for 30 turns until Teddy got bored (and shot many times by the walls) and left.

All in all, it was a cheaper alternative than pumping out units of my own and moving them into position. I couldn't declare a protectorate war anyway, since America is my ally.

The second time I did it, for Mohenjo Daro, he threw envoys at them and stole suzerain from me, and therefore the levied units. That was annoying. But also no longer my problem, since he lost interest in declaring war on a city state he was now in control of. (Then I took it back, but he must have seen a butterfly somewhere else.)

I've done it a few times, but never accomplished much other than getting the achievement. Lately I've wondered, can you levy them while the CS is at war? One could declare a protectorate war and levy their troops. That might be fun, and expedient under the right circumstances.

You can, but their units can't occupy their own cities after you levy them , which can hamper their defence somewhat.

On the other hand, if you're not at war with their aggressor, and can manage to surround their city with their own units, the aggressor can't then attack those units without declaring war on you first.

Only once I think. Was caught on the back foot with a Barbarian camp if I recall and my units were miles away. I was hoping they would clear the Barbarian Camp on their own but well....also just wanted to see how it worked. Pay money, get the units next turn - worked as advertised. Would like to make use of them more early game if my income is high but military is weak.

I do it when needed, but not very often.

I saw a nice thing recently where Poland, east of me across a narrow sea, declared war. I couldn't easily attack because of overlapping fields of fire from cities and encampments, but the other side of Poland was Geneva, which was my ally. No need to levy their quite substantial military; they swarmed over eastern Poland and took the Polish army apart without me having to do anything.

By the way, I suppose the major AI civs never do this? I mean, those city-states units would just be controlled by the same AI, right, but in theory the major AI civ could take the levied city-state units further away from their home than they'd normally travel, no?

Top Bottom