Do you ever not take advantage of the "Health is the bedrock ofcivilization" event?

tdy99

Prince
Obviously, the later it comes to more problematic it is. In the game I'm playing right now, I got the event at turn 70 when I already had 2 cities. I'm sandwiched between two AIs, so I can't afford to hamstring my expansion, plus I have like 5 food resources between my two cities so health wont be a problem anytime soon.

Wondering if I made the right decision by "forgetting these tests".

I usually don't take it. The bonus really only becomes good around the time of factories and coal plants. That's way to late too risk hampering your start.

Wondering if I made the right decision by "forgetting these tests".
If you're in the middle of a rush, that's certainly an excellent decision: the +1 :) for 10 turns means one more whip for each city.

Which makes one wonder what they are happy about.

Grobnar the Menial Laborer says, "We can risk being killed by medical experiments, or we can forgo the experiments and certainly be killed by being worked to death." Clearly the risk is better than the certainty (particularly since the event hints that the victim associated with the risk is less likely to be Grobnar and more likely to be his elderly, and irritating, mother in law), so if you are in slavery you should get a happy penalty instead of a happy bonus when not doing the tests...

"Our wise men have discovered a plant that could cure the plague! But we're not going to try it."

"Yaaaaay! Let's build Pyramids until we die!"

Wow! I guess, I am in the noob section on this one.
I've always taken this one for the +2 health. It is a long term advantage vs a short term 10 turn temporary advantage. In high pop capitols, I get the pop back quickly anyway, and gained a permanent health bonus to counter the forge and water poisening.
In games where one is surrounded by Jungle and Flood Plains, it seems like an event of great timing. The extra health is sometimes needed more, especially when playing Hannibal or another Charismatic leader. Though I can see the whipping point usage Dr.Null brought up.

It's more of a timing thing, which is actually kind of cool. That opportunity costs weighs pretty heavily when deciding if you're going to push a short-term advantage.

I didn't take it just 1 time when I was building GLH and it was late date and any turn I could lost race for it.. But I take it any time I get it - bonus pays back as its like almost "free EXP trait".
Still - its excellent if it happens when I'm at size 1 and building settler :D

I tend to go for it. It depends largely on timing, as has been said. +2 health can be quite helpful later on, especially since when (if) you shift out of Slavery into CS, your cities will probably start growing faster than your health can keep up with, and a few extra food from the health can help you grow a size or two you wouldn't be able to otherwise.

I like to see it as another Hanging Gardens. It's not lifesaving, but it's a nice boost - provided you can afford the opportunity cost.

One time I was playing as Isabella and got the health event and managed to build the Hanging Gardens too. By the end, my cities were SO big! :food::health::food::health::food::health:

The percent to get the benefits of these tests in exchange for a health bonus and a temporal unhapiness are good but most of the time I dont go for the event. I went for it once and it worked out but then you wouldnt understand if you lost the 90% and dont end up with the benefits.

The percent to get the benefits of these tests in exchange for a health bonus and a temporal unhapiness are good but most of the time I dont go for the event. I went for it once and it worked out but then you wouldnt understand if you lost the 90% and dont end up with the benefits.

This is another good point. It's a rage quit event if you do it and end up not getting the benefits.

I nearly always get that event within the first 50 turns of the game, for some reason. It's a real gamble; on one hand, the extra health comes in handy later in the game when you have more happiness than you know what to do with, but on the other hand the added unhappiness and possible population loss that early in the game can seriously wedge a lever in the gears of your civilization. I'm never quite sure how to handle that event when it comes up.

I figure in the long run it's probably good so I usually take it unless I feel the delay will cost too much. I do find it fun when I only have one city building a worker.

This is another good point. It's a rage quit event if you do it and end up not getting the benefits.
I've failed to get the benefits at least twice (that I noticed), and my games went just fine anyway.

It's not nearly as bad as some other things that can happen thanks to the random number generator ... :spear:

Top Bottom