1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you ever want to see another Mara/Huge topic thread?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Gwynnja, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Deity

Let's test the waters

2. GGracchus

GGracchus Tribune of Rome

No, not really. I always play standard/normal unless going for something different (settler marathon, 18 civs on duel size)

3. LegionSteve

LegionSteve Motörhead

I play huge marathon games and would read any thread relating to those settings. I mostly play the LoR mod though so it will only partially be relevant.

4. Dr.Null

Dr.Null forIhavetastedthesushi

I like to see threads about specific games being played.

The size of the maps is less important than the skill of the player, and his or her writing ability.

I have enjoyed several games which were Large Pangaea Marathon (with 18 civs). I would not know about that option if someone hadn't made a thread about their game. So, sure: bring on the threads about games with maps of any size.

Posting a whole new thread to share a one-paragraph butt-nugget is less desirable.

5. Defiant47

Defiant47 Peace Sentinel

I like to play huge, because the world is supposed to be huge. The only thing that actually meets my requirements is the Giant Earth Map mod. The "huge" mapsize doesn't quite cut it.

I like to play marathon, because technologies come too quickly. Even in the aforementioned mod, where technologies take twice the amount (since it's a bigger map, and presumably you'll have more cities), it's still too quick by mid-game. As well, I detest the idea of units become obsolete as they are marching their way to battle, so I prefer to avoid this as much as possible.

That being said, you're right in that I don't ever finish a game.

On the plus side, the few times I switch to normal, everything seems so nice and quick. When a barracks takes me 10 turns instead of 30, it feels like an improvement, even though it's the same thing.

6. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

I never play anything other than Marathon, anything else flies by too quick and all of my units become obsolete far too soon.

7. SouthernRebel

SouthernRebel Chieftain

I like to play marathon with a standard map, LoR. Seems to be a perfect fit for me.

8. 78sMan

78sMan Chieftain

I usually play normal, but I'm playing a marathon game now for a new challenge. I play emperor on normal, but I'm playing monarch on marathon because it's new to me.

I appreciate any thread if the writers know what they are talking about. I don't know much about marathon so I'm happy to learn.

I've been playing Civ IV since last Thanksgiving (late November). I used to play Civ II at deity, but Civ IV is much more of a challenge (I tried Civ III, but I didn't like it). One thing that I have learned is that one leader can be good at one difficulty level, but not as good at other levels. I'm finding now that is also true with respect to game length: there seem to be more barbarians on marathon, which is a challenge, but it's helping to toughen up my army.

9. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Epic speed - don't have time for Marathon, but Normal and Quick go by too fast. Also, the slower the game, the more warfare is favored as a strategy. My incredibly xenophobic and violent playing style suites this. :)

Small to Standard size - puny laptop can't play Huge, I try the occasional Large but usually it lags badly and I don't finish. :(

10. Skallagrimson

Skallagrimson Deity

Normal/standard because it's more of a challenge. You can't dilly-dally around because the AIs will ramp up their tech quickly if you don't move, move MOVE. And on standard map size you have to do more with fewer tiles. Less room for error, less forgiveness game-wise for unworked tiles.

Earth maps I do like to be huge or bigger though, because I can't stomach not being able to place more than 1 city in the U.K., like WTF...?

11. Rhavanna

Rhavanna Chieftain

I'd love to read about one of these.

I usually play on Epic/large, simply because even my new PC starts to slow down towards the end of the game. I do really want to do a marathon/huge game some time, but feeling a little intimidated.

Are there good mods for such a huge map? A huge part of the fun of civ games for me is exploring and discovering what the world looks like. Earth maps are cool, (just because Earth seems to have so much strategy built into it), but once you figured out where you are, you know what the rest of the planet looks like. I love having no idea what's across the sea, or over that seemingly impassible mountain range!

12. Antilogic

Antilogic --

On a semi-related note: I only use the "natural" coastline on Pangaea maps, and I wish that the other map scripts like Continents, Hemispheres, etc. had a similar setting.

13. GGracchus

GGracchus Tribune of Rome

There is an earth generator somewhere, if not in default BTS than in BAT/BUG. Various mods(LoR I'm pretty sure of) have other preset earth scenarios, RoM and others edit the map generators for a twist on conventional maps, earth18 is fun, even on normal(which I play with on earth18, unconventionally), and there are many earth maps out there.

14. proprich

proprich Chieftain

Yes please:). I mostly play marathon/huge. The normal speed just goes by too quick and the small maps are much less challenging. Now if someone would just rewrite the code to take advantage of modern computers! I'd shell out another 40 bucks.:D

If your looking for a fun map script then check out planet generator 68. I generally use this script, fractal or the random script in the custom game menu. I want the start of the game to be a mystery, makes the game abit more challenging.