Do you fear regret?

It can be a terrible feeling. I don't mean the mundane 'I wish I had done that differently', but the deeper sensation.

What's your thought about regret?
Does the fear of regret influence you?

Regret is an illusion. Be responsible about your actions. Imho, the more mature you are, the more responsibility you can take.

If you fear regret, then you don't feel regret.

For regretting not doing something, and being afraid enough to do it, then yes. But for regretting doing something, you might end up also just regretting not doing it, too.

Regret is an illusion. Be responsible about your actions. Imho, the more mature you are, the more responsibility you can take.
I disagree. Regret is as real as any emotion. If you dare to look back in your life with an open mind, you might experience it. Taking the responsible action given a certain circumstance may still leave you regretful of what might have been. Maturity won't do anything for regret. You can avoid it in various ways. Does regret serve a purpose?

If you fear regret, then you don't feel regret.
I can fear regret and still experience it. If I fear it enough I may do more to avoid feeling it. Either through decisions or by not thinking of past moments.

What's your thought about regret?
Does the fear of regret influence you?

I fear it, and that has changed parts of my behaviour.
Parts of it were always "I wished I had done anything" (in contrast to nothing).
That pushes me now a bit forward, because I rather do things, and don't wait that things might just get over.

I disagree. Regret is as real as any emotion. If you dare to look back in your life with an open mind, you might experience it. Taking the responsible action given a certain circumstance may still leave you regretful of what might have been. Maturity won't do anything for regret. You can avoid it in various ways. Does regret serve a purpose?

I can fear regret and still experience it. If I fear it enough I may do more to avoid feeling it. Either through decisions or by not thinking of past moments.

Emotions are like waterdrops, they disassociate so quickly you barely notice.

Ok, i'm not human or at least a normal human. i speak from a perspective of someone who has meditated for many, many years.

I don't fear regret as much as I regret fear.

I've used fear of regret as an impetus towards action, before. I've regretted the path not taken before, especially in regards to talking about my feelings with women. I've also regretted some of my actions, which makes me not want to repeat them. I think it's a powerful feeling that can work well to motivate you to change future actions, so that future suffering is avoided.

For me, avoiding regret and being honest typically lead towards the same action. I prefer to strive towards the latter, rather than the former, of course.

I don't think I've ever used it as a reason for inaction - apathy has this covered enough.

Edit: can actually think of a few instances

Regret is a useful heuristic. Feeling like absolute crap ensures that we learn from our mistakes.

Regrets? I've had loads.

I can't do anything about the past, though.

I regret that I can't.

But I'm not sure I actually fear regret; in that it doesn't actually frighten me. I don't think. Not as much as axe-wielding maniacs.

Regret is not something you should fear. All of your experiences in life, ones that lead to regret, ones that lead to triumph, and so forth and so on shape who you are. I would not be me without the regret for some past actions. The trick is to not let regret overwhelm you.

"Either you have an enviable memory, or a pitiable life, to know nothing of regret." - Sten

"I need my pain." - James T. Kirk

"Maybe installing a self-destruct button wasn't a good idea after all!" -Professor Doofenshmirtz.

Regret is a feeling that affects something that happened in the past.. And what's done is done, so I try to think about the present instead. That usually leads to more productive and happy times overall.

So I try not to be afraid of regret, because regret will happen from time to time. It's a part of life. What you can do is try to learn from it so that next time you make a better decision, instead of cowering in the corner and being afraid.

I don't fear regret as much as I regret fear.
This.

If there is something i regret is not having done things because fear. Fear to ridiculous, fear to failure, etc. So, just do it, that way you will avoid asking yourself what could have been for the rest of your life, the regret for not having done something is usually worse than the regret for having done it.

Except when that isn't true.

My very biggest regret is over something I did in fact do. The only good thing about it is that I can't regret not doing it. But I know which I'd prefer now.

Sure, but it is also possible that if you wouldnt have done it, you would be now here saying just the opposite.

Sure, but it is also possible that if you wouldnt have done it, you would be now here saying just the opposite.

I don't think so. Because on other occasions I had the opportunity to not to do it (or to do it - I'm getting muddled now). And I don't regret it.

But you may be right. There's no way of knowing for sure.

A little but I always take responsibility for my errors and do my best to rectify them.

Top Bottom