1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you finish games?

Discussion in 'Civ2 - General Discussions' started by NorvilleB, Jun 8, 2003.

?

Do you finish games?

1. Always.

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Usually.

21 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Rarely.

14 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Never.

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. Marlos

Marlos Christian Soldier

I always finish, what's the point otherwise?

Gotta try that cheat-mode-switch-to-an-AI-and-see-if-you-can-win thing...

2. la fayette

la fayette King

Very seldom one hour (only in the endgame on large maps, with many cities to micromanage)

3. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

Boy, you're pretty fast, ST...

Later in a game I'm trying to finish, I've done a day a turn... of course, most of the time is RL activities...or playing and watching TV...

4. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

(mistaken post - meant to edit previous)

5. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

And here I thought that the elephant was to symbolize the great memory :lol: :rotfl:

6. SlowThinker

SlowThinker Prince

:) In ELG #2 there were also turns that took 2 hrs.

And I don't count time I studied tech tree or prepared long time plans. But this was because I didn't play a landing game before.

7. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

It started out as "University of the Slow and Ponderous", went through a stage of "Stompin on U", then settled back down to "learning slowly but surely". Getting PT was always a turning point, as I could then go for Mikes or early conquest. Plus I kinda liked Hannibal. Not the movie one.

8. The Person

The Person Deity +2

I see that most people don't always finish their games. It's that way with me too. I play until I'm sure to win (like most other people do), and just abandon itl.

Sometimes it takes weeks between each Civ2 session, so I forget what game I was playing...;)

9. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

I think that another reason why I don't finish all my games is the desire to do better. Once I have a reasonable start, most of my game flows along rather well. I can run a boat chain once it is there and can use engineer creation fields to fertilize new sites but it seems that my initialization of these requires more practice -- thus the need to work on my early game.

Yes, there are fine points that I'll need to master in the middle & later stages of the game, but I still need to improve my play in the early stages.

10. DasMan

DasMan Chieftain

Rarely. The early game is the quickest part - and middle age tech race great fun. Once your civ is far ahead in tech, however, the micormanagement of all your cities becomes a little tedious and the game turns take so long. GOTMs are good for giving you a reason to finish and OCCs are better for quicker games and are probably more likely to be played to a finish.

11. Souron

Souron The Dark Lord

never; always plan to though. actualy I think I won one.