• No, screw 'em

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Screw you :D

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters

Comraddict

C.IV
Simple as it can be: yes or no..
Of couse, debate won't be that simple ;)
There is many reasons why not to give 100% at work - intentionally or unintentionally - I'll say just couple: you are underpaid, and employer is using you. Your boss makes 2-3x more for doing nothing. You help company make millions ( for what?) and you get your little pieces. Or you are just lazy.
Or most likely - you are not on right position.

I often give over 100%, sometimes even 200%. Being my own boss, setting the price and knowing the cost in expenses plus my time, these numbers are a daily nightmare visited in detail.

I will when I have a fun job.

Now I'm just studying and doing assignments that make no sense but is just for practice. :undecide: The learning material is interesting though. ;)

I'm still in college but one summer, I got a job as an usher for Cinemark Theaters. All I had to do was clean up the theaters, tear tickets, and give directions. I worked 40 hours a week but my boss didn't give me enough to do. It was a good summer job ($8.50 an hour), but it was very boring. Sometimes, I would sit in and watch movies.

In my last job in an office supply store, I was working three different positions. I gave 100% until I found out that the new guy who came in who was getting paid 50% more than me. And he was working at only one of the position I was in. (Maybe that's not a good reason to give less effort, since I was happy before, but my feeling at the time was "F*** you"

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I can't perform at 100% and above all the time. One must kick back at some occassions. (when Mr Boss isn't lookin' ;) )

I put about 10% of my effort into pretending that I'm putting in 100%.

I give about 10% on a good day.

Morale at my company has hit rock bottom, my career is going nowhere (as is that of all junior technical staff) and the company pays only lip service to improving the situation.

I'm currently working on leaving and finding work elsewhere and intend to return to 100%.

Well, I referee soccer in the fall, and I usually try to give 100%, and most of the time I do, because not giving 100% often results in bad situations, such as angry parents and coaches, who complain to the league, which controls if I ref or not and how much I get paid.

I have a workplace where I have a fixed ammount of work. How soon I finish is entirely up to me so I give it 90-95%...

Pretty much 100% on average. Give less on slow weeks but most of the time much more than 100%.

In school I don't give 100%. I work hard in classes I need to, but in some classes I slack off and still get 90s (Geometry) and in some classes I do nothing and I have no idea what I'll get.

By some kind of magic I always end up with 90s though.

as a student, i must so i can go to a good college.

It definitely depends on the job. I work at a crappy-ass pizaa shop rolling dough for minimum wage (5.15 an hour), on my 3rd day i had to find my own replacement when i had the flu and give them a doctor's note. Then when i came back after being sick my manager told me they might "demote" me to dishwasher if i keep "not putting in 100%". For a crappy-job like this i really don't give a s**t whether i put in 100%.

At my job they time us, so there is production standards that tells us what '%' we are doing. According to the 'standards' I do anywhere from 130-200+%. But when I'm doing 130% I'm taking it easy (slacking off), and it looks like I'm on cruise control (walking) when other people run their butts off to do that good. It's more just natural ability and the 4 years of experience than actual physical effort on my part.

I assume you mean do I give 100% of 'my' potential? Of course not. Why should I? What's in it for me if I work that hard? A pat on the back doesn't cut it.
A higher profit sharing check at the end of the year? If I help the company make 1 million dollars, then that million dollars gets divided between the 1 million+ workers at that corporation (if all of that extra money actually goes back to the employees, which won't happen, because the company would rather devote most of it back into further expanding their business), and then you figure taxes on that. Do all that extra effort all year for less than 50 cents at the end of the year. No thank you.

They only expect 95% production, but they pay us extra for higher production (up to 130%, which is 30% bonus to your base pay), so I try not to pull much more than 130%. I have, but only when I get something out of it (setting production records, friendly competitions between co-workers, or I just want to get done early that day).

I will say that my job has gotten better recently (how the management treats their employees), so I may work a little harder now. If the company takes care of me, I will take care of them. If they abuse me, I will abuse them.

Depends on what you mean. I'm a sorter at UPS- I do what's required to keep up with the package flow. Sometimes i touch 2 packages a minute, sometimes close to 200. During the times that the flow is low, it's stupid to bust your butt working any harder than you need to; you'll be plenty dead after those times that the flow shoots through the roof- and I get paid the same either way.

I guess I do 100% of what the job requires, but not 100% of what I'm capable of.

Top Bottom