Do you guys "cheat?"

I only do this at the beginning. I save at 4000 B.C. scout out the map with my settler and make sure it's going to be a game that I will have fun on and not die of boredom. In other words, if I start on an island, I leave and reload the map.

It's just quicker to do it this way than to take the time to build a few warriors and scout just to find out that it's going to be a dull and un-enjoyable game.

I save at the beginning of actual wars (i.e., not early chariot/axe rush or whatever) where I have a decent chance of losing or getting wiped out in Civ 4. =/ I'm a reloadaholic, unfortunately.

i do not define gaining an unfair advantage over a non-sentient entity as cheating.

Reloading a saved game is a lot less of a cheat than the way the AI creates units out of nothing when it has a galley parked outside one of your cities.

Reloading a saved game is a lot less of a cheat than the way the AI creates units out of nothing when it has a galley parked outside one of your cities.

Actually the AI is using hammers and gold to create those units, the same as you. The difference is it gets to teleport its units to that galley.

a pretty cheap way to solve the ai's inability concerning naval invasions btw.

i didn't know the AI had a secret teleportation tech. but since the AI usually sux at naval warfare, i'm not complaining.

i tend to re-load late-game just to see if i can squeeze in a higher score .

I try not to but I find myself doing it a lot lately since for some strange reason, I'm struggling on King and I can't figure out why.

If I to reload, I consider the game lost but will play through another strategy for the purposes of learning.

Very rarely. If reload its usually cause of something very silly. Like had a barb take my capital once cause was zooming through early turns and didnt see it hehe. Could whip an archer any turn while it was on the march there :)

I used to reload like crazy, especially in Civ2, where it was easiest and most rewarding. These days, playing BTS, I do it a lot less and distinguish between two sets of circumstances. Some games I decide from the outset are "learning games." Other games are "serious games." In a learning game, I'm trying to experiment with a new strategy or a new leader or something and experiment with how that works. I'll reload in that game where failing to do so would ruin the experiment. In a serious game, I'm playing for a win and a good score without cheating. I will admit giving in to the temptation once or twice in such games when something stupid happens (you lose a key battle despite 95% odds, AI builds GL ahead of you on the same turn even though you whipped it, AI gets Liberalism on the same turn you get the GS to bulb it, AI gets AP cheese win a turn before you get the acreage for Domination.)

I only did it when I first started out on Rev (I'm EXTREMELY new to Civ, Rev was my first Civ experience), but I do it when things get ridiculous in Civ IV, like losing battles when you have 90% odds. Besides, if you REALLY want to cheat, you can always use Worldbuilder, which is, in my experience, the best cheating method in any game I've played

And I use that word I guess because I'd guess some people consider it cheating, some don't. But what I mean is during the span of your games, do you try a strategy, see how it works, and if it doesn't you re-load your game from right before you tried it? Like declaring war, city placement, etc. Or do you consider that off-limits and however the game goes, that's how the game goes?
What's teh point you only fool yourself - what doesn't kill you only makes you better.

I haven't during a game unless i am one turn from a definite defeat, and if i am i admit my defeat but reload the game, because i just can't leave a game unfinished :]

I reload in all Civ games, at least at first. I'm cautious by nature so I find that if I rule out reloading then it makes me afraid to try out new strategies, so I never learn what works and what doesn't. Reloading helps me to explore different moves and strategies and to learn the game more effectively.

Once I feel I have a good grip on the basics and at least some grasp of advanced strategies, I'll play a few games without reloading, simply because it adds to the dramatic tension in the game!

I have a cautious nature, too, Wombleburger. But nothing makes you feel quite so invincible as when you try an attack or whatever, have it fail miserably, and still win a crushing victory in the end.

Top Bottom