1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you guys ever come back to saves

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Love CiV, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Love CiV

Love CiV Chieftain

Do you ever come back to recent saves and feel so lazy that you don't bother finishing them?

It's been plaguing me a bit.

2. civ54lyfe

civ54lyfe Chieftain

Yeah. If I realize that I'm guaranteed a culture/science victory then rarely do I roll the rest out. Usually if I grab Satellites and am not fighting a serious race I'll turn it off, or even a bit before. It's been wanting be to disable all conditions other than domination.

3. drac313

drac313 Chieftain

Rarely. I usually just start another game.

4. fuzzatron717

fuzzatron717 Holy Warrior

I might but it is rare. I usually stop games at the medival era.

5. Bandersnatching

Bandersnatching Chieftain

When playing a game I'm sure I'll win, I feel very little desire to continue. But I do go back to games that were challenging, and try to find a way to win. The only thing for it, I think, is to go up a difficulty level.

6. omnishakira

omnishakira Chieftain

When im garanteed to win I just use the Ingame editor mod and place 6 tank in front of all AI's capitals.

7. Love CiV

Love CiV Chieftain

That sounds like fun :p

8. OwlRaider

OwlRaider Chieftain

When I'm not pulling an all nighter to finish the game I was on than yeah I go back to saves...

9. McRoos

McRoos Chieftain

Well, if you do need to get back to saved games very often, try lowering the difficulty level!

10. Mylor

Mylor Chieftain

Mostly yes. I generally play a game until I win, unless I'm just overwhelming and the blush is gone. I will leave games that leave me with a sense of 'meh'. But I play to build more than war and when I war, I like the late game toys. ;) They are just more fun to me than bows, swords and catapults. Give me those stealth bombers! :crazyeye:

11. ahawk

ahawk Chieftain

I'm split on this.

What guides my choosing some saves I come back to as worth finishing, and others as not worth finishing, is how long I expect it to take. That part's obvious. What is less obvious is that sometimes what are quicker wins in terms of number of turns are actually far longer in real-time. By this I mean that, well, sometimes I know I'm going to win with a cultural victory, where all I have to do is wait, hitting end-turn until starting Utopia, then wait a little and win, and it'll take 30 minutes and 100 more turns. On other occasions, I know I'm going to win with a military victory, probably in 40 turns, but I'm going to have to spend 3 hours rush-buying units, moving units, determining what units to attack with and what ones to let rest and heal, etc. etc.

So sometimes I'll come back to a save, hit end-turn mindlessly until I can build Utopia, and win in 30 minutes. At the same time, a military victory that still actually needs my input yet is clearly a forgone conclusion as to whether I will win, is something I might not even attempt, as I know it's likely it'll take a while. I just find this funny because, as a video game, why is it that it's more fun to click end-turn until I win more often than it is to mop up a military victory and actually still have to use basic tactics. Why would I rather fired up a save just to click through turns rather than fire up a save and move stuff around?

Just odd.

12. RedFuneral

RedFuneral Chieftain

Nope, if I haven't played a game for over a month or so I don't go back to it. It's just not as fun when I can't remember what I was doing. That and I have CSSO syndrome(can't stop starting over). Both with Civ and with Minecraft. I have a bad habit of quitting games when I'm far in the lead or far behind. I like it when I have no idea which way the game is going to go.

13. ragan651

ragan651 High Regent of Candlewick

No, I like to play my games either in one sitting if possible (which often isn't). When I do save, I normally don't start a new game until that one is finished, or I abandon the saved game. I never go back to old saves because I'm not invested in them anymore.

14. Jeff1787

Jeff1787 Sarge

If I don't get back to a save within a day or two, then I start another game.

15. Deafening Milk

Deafening Milk Chieftain

No I never do, i find the beginning of the game more fun than the rest.

16. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Chieftain

Almost never. I used to think it was sad, until I saw how many others are the same.

17. Cicerosaurus

Cicerosaurus Chieftain

Normally I do, but then I generally get a chance to have at least a few turns every day. If I'm going to abandon a game I generally do it pretty early.

18. MacAttack

MacAttack Just the tip

I see all my games through, but generally disable science victory condition and time since those are so easy to achieve or prevent the AI from achieving. I play Emperor, marathon/epic, huge maps, raging barbs. Anything beyond Emperor AKA AI cheating, I feel like I need to employ in game exploits to feel like its a fair game.

19. Teaf

Teaf Chieftain

I'll always go back to a save, but when I'm at the point where I definitely without a doubt know I'll win or lose, that's when I just start a new game as it just seems pointless to carry on.

20. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I play Marathon games, so I pretty much have to go back if I want to resolve anything. The only time that I abandon games is if they are mod games since those don't go into your HoF anyway.