1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you guys think Civ 6 will happen?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ohu1111, Aug 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

I think the problem is their 'tactic' works.

They figure they need ~100$ per initial game sold to make a solid game.

They can either put 'full Civ6' in a 10-15 year development cycle OR they can have a 2-3 year development +2-3 year open beta (also known as vanilla) to make a game that people will shell out 100$ for. (it helps that they spread the payments out.)

2. Volcanon

Volcanon Chieftain

I think by now they are probably aware of the issues with Civ 5 so they will address them in Civ 6 along with introducing additional new problems.

The problem is that you won't get the full game until the second or third expansion so get ready to wait. For example, Civ 5 complete is awesome. Civ 5 vanilla is terrible.

It would be nice if they added some sort of war happiness mechanic back into civ 6. It's kind of silly for my fascist, war-loving yet rational civlization to go from 40 happiness to 30 unhappiness in one turn when I conquor two cities and accept various peace treaties granting me several top tier cities. In real life you don't burn down half of the cities you conquor. (On a large size map with 22 civs in 1930, all of whom hate me because conquored three civs in the renaissance).

3. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Chieftain

It really is quite absurd how much better CiV is with the two expansions. Without them it's such a weak game. Compare to Civ IV vanilla, which still feels like a complete game despite the lack of features which would be added later, like corporations and Apostolic palace.

I mean, CiV vanilla didn't even have religion!! That's ridiculous in my opinion; it was obvious that feature would be included in an expansion pack (because how could they not?) so basically you had to wait a couple of years for a feature that should have been in the main game to begin with. Very uncool; hoping they at least release a complete game when they release Civ VI, and not a beta test with a price tag.

Honestly I think part of what made CiV vanilla so bad is that they spent so long developing a whole new system for the game, they didn't have time to work on embellishments like religion and economics.

4. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

I would prefer to be bankrupt from overexpansion than some rebels popped up at capital and all of my town stop growing from overexpansion.

"Happiness" in Civ5 (and health in CivBE) would make more sense as Infinite City Spam inhibitor if it was called "Stability". But I prefer Civ4' way of doing it, that instead use city maintainance and distance from capital.

How I envision a "perfect" Civ6 vanilla is making a Civ game with limited army ala Endless Legend (IMO, middle ground of 1UPT and SoD) with Civ4 BtS base game (with hex tiles) with G&K religion, BNW tourism, ideology war and trade, and that's set as Civ6 vanilla and make expansion expands on that.

I hope they will combine everything that worked in the past (including from 4X game that's, by a decent amount of opinion, better than Civ5 BNW) into a game and then instead experiment with patch and expansion.

5. Dedrytus

Dedrytus Chieftain

I think that they have Civ VI finished but can not decide what to rip from game and how many "expansions" and DLC prepare. For example "domination victory" DLC or "one more turn awesome button" DLC.

Next year is 25th anniversary so we can be almost 100% sure that Civ VI is under development or almost finihed.

6. Quasar1011

Quasar1011 King of Sylvania

Even Civ II had Vanilla, and Test Of Time.

7. claudiupb

claudiupb Chieftain

Yes but civ2 vanilla was a pretty decent game. I still play it sometimes.

8. beetle

beetle Chieftain

Yes, the pattern is very clear.

Of course you will. We all will. Which is why Firaxis is not about to do things any differently.

9. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

If CiVI is in the pipeline it won't be announced till well after Rising Tide is out.

They don't have to take sales away from their available product with people waiting for what they really want.

10. Volcanon

Volcanon Chieftain

Alpha Centauri w/o Crossfire is a complete game. Crossfire just adds a bunch of stuff, a couple overpowered alien races with tiny drawbacks and 5 human factions that are somewhat less balanced than the original ones.

11. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

They are probably allowing time for a second BE expansion if Rising Tide does well. So that puts Civ VI off another year.

12. Redaxe

Redaxe Chieftain

The problem I have with this approach is that it burns out the modding community and the multiplayer community.
    Who wants to spend time modding a game when the devs are going to overhaul everything in 12 months time and you're forced to rewrite your mod? Modders have lives too and they're not getting paid so this approach is a real kick in the teeth to them.

Same thing with Multiplayer. Everyone says it's basically dead because this game took 2 expansions and an extra patch to be interesting so by the time it's really worth getting into most people have moved on to something else.

13. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Chieftain

I've played freeciv app from google apps and its kind of similar to civilization 2 except that its on android and its playable on a mobile device.

14. beetle

beetle Chieftain

This approach treats all customers badly, but early adopters get the worst of it. Fine, since VI will probably not be their first exposure to the franchise, and they should know by now that the pattern is to pay full MSRP for a beta product. I agree that the two communities you name are hit particularly hard. Most modders at least should see it coming -- but then there are first-time modders with every release, so they will be burned. New people coming to civ, primarily for MP, are understandably outraged. I think there have been Better Business complaints and lawsuits even.

15. Volcanon

Volcanon Chieftain

FreeCiv is -okay- but it's not as good as civ 2 even though freeciv is still being worked on now. Really rough animations for the diplomacy would be nice.

16. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Chieftain

Civ 2 could be better than freeciv but civ 4 could be better than civ 2.

17. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

I never played Civ2, but I find I can't play FreeCiv at all. I am stick to it like Frictionless surface with... anything.

Some guileless player will want to jump into Civ serie with Civ6 would still buy it, and Firaxis dev team would be like "We got some money from beta-tester now, We will complete this game" :)

I think I would learn how to do Civ6's style art early and master it for modding, as I think no patch or "expansion" would alter its aesthetic.

18. dasaard200

dasaard200 Chieftain

Yngvi the Soothsayer slunk into the bar for his monthly keg, and was heard to mumble," The New Age shall arrive in the week of the double eclipse of the moons, Destiny, and Opportunity; while the Cubs win the World Series ." Two of the town's bookies were seen to fall into comas .

19. calad

calad Chieftain

It did not.

Civ5 simply is unfinished. The saddest thing is MP. It is so broken it cannot be played.

Game also has a lot of clear design faults, like if Venice loses her capital second capital does not allow you to decide what to build = instant game over. AI is very poor and it can only by accident beat you if you ignore it or set difficult absurd high. Civ5 is also too hard coded, there are really few mods and they focuse mainly on game balance. If you look what civ4 has civ5 is clearly inferior, oh and AI cant be modded at all so there went opportunity for most demanded mod.

Civ5 looks nice but it is not. What Im really sad is that likely firaxis will make civ6 which will be another colossal disapointment like civ5 and BE. After BE I cant believe no matter how much resources firaxis will invest on civ6 results will be good. They simply dont have skill, determination or will to make good games anymore.

20. awetzel

awetzel Chieftain

If it's anything like civ 5 and BE don't bother.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.